FINAL OUTCOME - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
The new x16 card arrived today (Sapphire 100328FLEX Radeon HD 6770 FleX Edition Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), 1x Dual-Link DVI, 1x Single-Link DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, CrossFireX Ready) Pleased to report it all worked out perfectly right out of the box:
- easily slipped into my only x16 slot ; 6 pin power connection at front
- hooked up 3 monitors (each had DVI and VGA- used DVI on all three)
- Monitor 1 (Dell 19" LCD) DVI port > DVI-to-DVI cable > card DVI port 1
- Monitor 2 (Dell 19" LCD) DVI port > DVI-to-DVI cable > card DVI port 2
- Monitor 3 (LG 19" LCD - Wide) DVI port > DVI-to-HDMI cable > card HDMI port
- loaded drivers, catalyst s/w
- control pannel saw all three monitors, and extended them all
- cards DP port not used (needed only for fourth)
- no DP adaptors bundled ; many other convencience adaptors included , eg:
- DVI to HDMI
- DVI to VGA
- molex to 6 pin
- approx $130 CDN ; $10 rebate coming later
- youtube demo here (not mine)
Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 Flex Edition 1GB DX11 Video Card Review - YouTube
- many tech reviews on line
The old 1GB 5760 card it replaced is now in another WIn 7 machine also working well (in turn replacing a 256MB HD 5450).
So, I got two machines upgraded out of this, and most important, 3 monitors running as desired. YAY!
Appreciate all the discussion here - thank you.
Happy Camper !