Is there a preferred sequence that one should use (and one should avoid) in replacing a video card... to avoid being left in the dark?
On my Dell Dimension 9200 (now on Win 7 Home Edition, 64 bit), I will be replacing its x16 256mb OEM NVidia GeForce 8600GT with a freed up card from another machine (x16 OEM 1GB ATI RADEON HD 5670).
Will this sequence work?:
- remove all Nvidia software via control panel
- power down and remove the card
- insert the replacment ATI card and power up
- pray it will work with native windows drivers
- install ATI The AMD Catalyst™ Control center
- run "auto-detect" the card
- follow prompts to install the proper drivers.
or is there a safer sequence of steps?