Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Would this work?

31 Mar 2012   #1
Goldhat

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Would this work?

So.
I really like to call myself a gamer (I have played/still playing 60-80 games), but a gamer needs a good computer, wich mine really isnt. With only 3GBs of RAM and an intergated graphics card (Intel HD) on an 64-bit Windows 7, its not really the best. I have been thinking the following.
If I would by an external graphics card and more RAM, would it be possible to get rid of the Intel HD Graphics card and get it working with the external one?
No idea how big the budget would be. Max 300-400 euros?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Mar 2012   #2
chris1neji

Windows 8 64 bit PRO
 
 

Your budget seems fine, however when you say external graphics card i think of this
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Graphics-Upgrade-Solution-ATI-External,10527.html
I think you just meant dedicated graphics card.

You will most like need a new power supply, though most manufacturers give TERRIBLE power supply it's almost impossible to upgrade them.

What model of Samsung do u have
System Manufacturer/Model Number Samsung R530/R730/R540

Your showing 3 different ones i think it's important so i can learn what motherboard you have and your limitations
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2012   #3
Goldhat

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chris1neji View Post
Your budget seems fine, however when you say external graphics card i think of this
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Graphics-Upgrade-Solution-ATI-External,10527.html
I think you just meant dedicated graphics card.

You will most like need a new power supply, though most manufacturers give TERRIBLE power supply it's almost impossible to upgrade them.

What model of Samsung do u have
System Manufacturer/Model Number Samsung R530/R730/R540

Your showing 3 different ones i think it's important so i can learn what motherboard you have and your limitations
Oh. I have R540.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Mar 2012   #4
chris1neji

Windows 8 64 bit PRO
 
 

Sadly upgrading laptops is very hard and sometimes even not possible. You will not be able to upgrade to a graphics card. The RAM i believe your laptop may have 4GB's of RAM however some of it may not be usable and may be allocated to hardware in this case it being your Video Graphics integrated chip.

So as far as increasing the gaming capabilities of your laptop the awnser is no.
You could maybe add more RAM, i would need to research more troughly specs about your motherboard to decide if you can or cannot. However RAM upgrades do not play the biggest impact in gaming.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2012   #5
Goldhat

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chris1neji View Post
Sadly upgrading laptops is very hard and sometimes even not possible. You will not be able to upgrade to a graphics card. The RAM i believe your laptop may have 4GB's of RAM however some of it may not be usable and may be allocated to hardware in this case it being your Video Graphics integrated chip.

So as far as increasing the gaming capabilities of your laptop the awnser is no.
You could maybe add more RAM, i would need to research more troughly specs about your motherboard to decide if you can or cannot. However RAM upgrades do not play the biggest impact in gaming.
Well, I actually have 3 gigs of RAM, wich is even worse.
But if I cant really do anything, I think i'll just start saving money for an Alienware.
I think I can sell this computer for a few hundred euros and then just earn the rest during summer. The computer costs about 992 euros including everything I would buy with it. Maybe about 30 euros a month. Thats about 33 months. I think I could afford that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2012   #6
chris1neji

Windows 8 64 bit PRO
 
 

A desktop gaming machine can be cheaper and has advantages of upgrading down the road. I use laptop for work and school(before the keyboard was ruin) and desktop for gaming
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2012   #7
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chris1neji View Post
A desktop gaming machine can be cheaper and has advantages of upgrading down the road. I use laptop for work and school(before the keyboard was ruin) and desktop for gaming
True - does it have to be a laptop?



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Goldhat View Post
But if I cant really do anything, I think i'll just start saving money for an Alienware.
If sticking to a 'gaming' laptop, have a look at Clevo models.

I'm not sure about re-sellers/availability where you are but they are a cheaper option than Alienware, which are pretty expensive.


(ie I have a Clevo P170HM which was around 2k cheaper than a similarly specced Alienware)

Otherwise a desktop would be far cheaper and superior. And if you have no experience in building them yourself, plenty of us are and are happy to help guide you through it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #8
Goldhat

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chris1neji View Post
A desktop gaming machine can be cheaper and has advantages of upgrading down the road. I use laptop for work and school(before the keyboard was ruin) and desktop for gaming
Well, now that I think of it, its pretty true.
Do you have any recommendations?

Tough the screen, keyboard cost too...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #9
chris1neji

Windows 8 64 bit PRO
 
 

CRT TV from your local recycling center = less than 10$ for some 20", keyboard just get a generic. The price doesnt have to be upfront.

If your doing computer shopping because you feel unable to do a custom build please post them in this thread or a new one to get opinions and our reviews.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #10
Goldhat

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chris1neji View Post
CRT TV from your local recycling center = less than 10$ for some 20", keyboard just get a generic. The price doesnt have to be upfront.

If your doing computer shopping because you feel unable to do a custom build please post them in this thread or a new one to get opinions and our reviews.
Well, I dunno, we'll see. After all, Im only 14.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Would this work?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Win 7 Ult x64 Start doesnt work Icons dont work
Attempted a restore in Safe Mode. System came back up with all icons as normal. Issue start button doesn't work, icons open file but there is not text or data...there is what appears to be wire frames where the information should be. All files still on drive but cannot access. Safe mode does...
General Discussion
Windows won't boot, startup won't work, safe mode dosent work
Today my laptop was working fine but then I shut it down and turned it on again, when I turned it back on, after the Starting Windows and windows logo disappear I get a blue screen for half a second then my computer try's to reboot, I've tried to use startup reapir but u just have a crusor with a...
General Discussion
Recovery does not work, admin account does not work
My mom is visiting and brought her computer complaining that she couldn't get online. The problem seems to be much bigger than that. I tried searching the forums and could only get so far. I enabled the hidden admin account and booted into safe mode. Going into the control panel: Clicking on...
General Discussion
Programs work when installed then don't work the next time I try
I'm not sure where this should be posted so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place. I am a newbie to Windows 7 and don't know it I have a problem with my computer or just a lack of knowledge of Windows 7 I just purchased a 64 bit window 7 with the professional upgrade. I am using an Intel core 7...
General Discussion
LIBusb, USB ports doesn't work. Safe mode also no work
After I install LIBusb I could work futher. But after I put him off en reboot an hour later my wired mouse en keyboard didn't work anymore. When I restart in safe mode both still doesnt work. OS: W7 Home Premium 64b Computer: HP Pavilion p6250 Please Help!!
Drivers
Applications that work with Vista should work with Windows 7 , there are exceptions.
Microsoft ranks Windows 7 features most likely to affect app-compatibility | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com While Microsoft officials have said that applications that work with Vista should work with Windows 7 , there are exceptions. The 45-page “Windows Application Quality Cookbook”...
News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App