Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Crossfire performance not up to par?

21 Jun 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Crossfire performance not up to par?

So I'll jump right into it: I'm well aware that Crossfire doesn't actually double the performance (at least not in every game) but the performance I've been getting in some games doesn't seen to be at all acceptable. I ran the in-game benchmarks for F1 2011 and DiRT 3 both with crossfire disabled and enabled, details as high as they can possibly go, and here are the results:

CrossfireX Disabled - DCII clocked at 810/1250MHz

F1 2011 - Avg. 51 / Min. 45
DiRT 3 - Avg. 56 / Min. 47

DCII Clocked at 850/1350MHz

F1 2011 - Avg. 52 / Min. 47
DiRT 3 - Avg. 58 / Min. 48

For the next round it's enabled and both cores will now be running at 820/1250MHz as the Sapphire card runs 10MHz faster than the DCII at stock; both games running under their respective profiles, and as DiRT 3 seems to have a handful of them I used the dirt3*.exe profile.

CrossfireX Enabled - clocked at 820/1250MHz

F1 2011 - Avg. 73 / Min. 61
DiRT 3 - Avg. 104 / Min. 90

Clocked at 850/1350MHz

F1 2011 - Avg. 73 / Min. 61
DiRT 3 - Avg. 108/ Min. 92

F1 2011 annoys me the most because the performance gain isn't even as much as the gain seen in DiRT 3 which more or less does in fact double over using one 6950. Both games use the same engine but it seems DiRT 3 is a bit more optimized as far as the engine goes. I've more games on hand, most of which aren't installed but I'm wondering if this is at all normal.

I don't remember my performance with a single card in Crysis 2, but with Crossfire I'm seeing anywhere from 80-100+, and this is with mods.



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jun 2012   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Are you running the games with V-sync on if so there is your problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

What am I, a noob?

Joking aside, V-sync is off. I always leave it off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Jun 2012   #4

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Are you running the games with V-sync on if so there is your problem

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Terronium 12 View Post


F1 2011 - Avg. 73 / Min. 61
DiRT 3 - Avg. 104 / Min. 90

Clocked at 850/1350MHz

F1 2011 - Avg. 73 / Min. 61
DiRT 3 - Avg. 108/ Min. 92
I'd say no.

Performance looks pretty typical. Some games are simply better suited to multi GPU.

Driver optimizations also make a difference too.

You can use GPU-Z log file or Afterburner to check the GPU usage of each card. At your current CPU clock speed, it's certainly not a bottleneck.

When I had my 5970, for F1 2010 the CF 'fix' was to disable a core
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2012   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

then that is pretty odd

are you getting anything else besides low frames ? artifacts
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2012   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Are you running the games with V-sync on if so there is your problem

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Terronium 12 View Post


F1 2011 - Avg. 73 / Min. 61
DiRT 3 - Avg. 104 / Min. 90

Clocked at 850/1350MHz

F1 2011 - Avg. 73 / Min. 61
DiRT 3 - Avg. 108/ Min. 92
I'd say no.

Performance looks pretty typical. Some games are simply better suited to multi GPU.

Driver optimizations also make a difference too.

You can use GPU-Z log file or Afterburner to check the GPU usage of each card. At your current CPU clock speed, it's certainly not a bottleneck.
I would say the same but the F1 is a very low power game they ran it on intel 3000 hd so im assuming he should be over 200fps with that game if the intel hd 3000 made it run smooth or look smooth at high settings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

No artifacts. Just doesn't really seem to like Crossfire all that much.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

you can run Unigene and see if your cards are running correctly if your score is comparable to a previous score you can chalk it up to the game
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2012   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Performance there is pretty high, same goes for 3DM 11.

Although with the latter I was running bench-only clocks so it's not really comparable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2012   #10

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
you can run Unigene and see if your cards are running correctly if your score is comparable to a previous score you can chalk it up to the game
Good idea

F1 can be pretty light on resources - until you start cranking up the details


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Terronium 12 View Post
Performance there is pretty high, same goes for 3DM 11.

Although with the latter I was running bench-only clocks so it's not really comparable.
Bench only clocks aside, it does sound like it's more game/driver related.

(bench only clocks would only nab you an extra 5-10FPS or so anyway in real world usage).

That's the 'joy' of multi GPU setups. Mega boosts when all is well - bugger all difference if it's not properly supported.

Aside from the year I had the single 580, the rest of time I've had CF setups and I know the frustration when things don't perform as well as you'd like them too. You tend feel a little cheated.


At least the scores went up and not down
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Crossfire performance not up to par?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Crossfire performance not up to par?
Thread Forum
Solved Crossfire'd HD 5870 - No real Performance gain - CPU Bottleneck?? Graphic Cards
Sli vs crossfire Graphic Cards
To Crossfire, or not to Crossfire Graphic Cards
Crossfire 5850 LAG/Poor Performance Graphic Cards
CrossFire Gaming
Crossfire ? Graphic Cards
Crossfire ? Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33