Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help me set primary adapter on AMD Catalyst 6520G+7670M


03 Sep 2012   #11

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 / WinXP Pro x86 on (2)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaneda View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
On the other thread, it was suggested that the second graphics card is enabled as "high-performance" from the desktop right-click context menu:
It seems that your lappy supports switchable graphics... just right click on desktop click on switchable graphics... then browse the content for the application u r using.. then click on high performance mode..
I don't know if that other HP hardware story applies to your machine, since that other machine had Intel HD graphics along with an HD7670M, whereas yours has a lower-level ATI graphics adapter along with a second ATI HD7670M.

But if you right-click on the desktop of your machine, is there such a thing as "switchable graphics" on the context menu, and if you follow that item is there actually a way to select individual programs and active "high performance mode" for them?
Yes, the mode is there, the selection is available, but all it does is set the laptop to high-performance mode i.e. more power consumption. It does not activate the card or enable the two present cards. That's the whole point. I can assign the application to high-pm, but it just uses the 6520G anyway.
Ok, on a side note - what would happen if I disable the integrated card from device manger? Is the 7670M going to wake up and take over? Please answer me this.
Well, I wish I had firsthand experience with this type of dual-graphics hardware, but I don't. I really know nothing about its behavior, how to confirm that both GPU's are working on your behalf "in tandem", etc.

Perhaps somebody else reading this thread who has experience with this type of hardware (or laptop) can give you more info.

I'd also suggest you contact ASUS (since it's their laptop), and ask them what gives.

And you can certainly pursue the same question in other forums, for example on this Notebook Users forum thread.


I'd really like to be able to help, but this dual-graphics hardware is an unknown quantity to me.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Sep 2012   #12

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaneda View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
On the other thread, it was suggested that the second graphics card is enabled as "high-performance" from the desktop right-click context menu:
It seems that your lappy supports switchable graphics... just right click on desktop click on switchable graphics... then browse the content for the application u r using.. then click on high performance mode..
I don't know if that other HP hardware story applies to your machine, since that other machine had Intel HD graphics along with an HD7670M, whereas yours has a lower-level ATI graphics adapter along with a second ATI HD7670M.

But if you right-click on the desktop of your machine, is there such a thing as "switchable graphics" on the context menu, and if you follow that item is there actually a way to select individual programs and active "high performance mode" for them?
Yes, the mode is there, the selection is available, but all it does is set the laptop to high-performance mode i.e. more power consumption. It does not activate the card or enable the two present cards. That's the whole point. I can assign the application to high-pm, but it just uses the 6520G anyway.
Ok, on a side note - what would happen if I disable the integrated card from device manger? Is the 7670M going to wake up and take over? Please answer me this.
Well, I wish I had firsthand experience with this type of dual-graphics hardware, but I don't. I really know nothing about its behavior, how to confirm that both GPU's are working on your behalf "in tandem", etc.

Perhaps somebody else reading this thread who has experience with this type of hardware (or laptop) can give you more info.

I'd also suggest you contact ASUS (since it's their laptop), and ask them what gives.

And you can certainly pursue the same question in other forums, for example on this Notebook Users forum thread.


I'd really like to be able to help, but this dual-graphics hardware is an unknown quantity to me.
Thanks, I just reposted a while ago, checked the cards and they're both running fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2012   #13

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 / WinXP Pro x86 on (2)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaneda View Post
EDIT:

SOLVED this.

Everything works, the stock drivers are A-OK to handle. Checked with GPU-Z again and it uses both cards
Can you please tell us what you did, that "solved it yourself"?

At first you said you could enable high-performance, but it still only used the standard card. So what ELSE DID YOU DO, which now caused the second HD7670M to kick in, whereas it hadn't kicked in before (so you said)??

Others will want to know exactly what you did to "solve this".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Sep 2012   #14

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Oh, well I reverted to the old drivers (via device manager) 12.3ccc, because the amd supply was incorrect and buggy. The drivers (stock), I believe, are custom for my laptop and I was just ignorant in believing I could run an old game on the 7670m. At first I tried Max Payne, but it proved capable on the apu, but on the game Grid - max settings brought out both cards. I was blind thinking dual graphics didn't work because I only tried it on a non demanding application.
My suggestion and advice to anyone with dual graphics - stick to stock drivers supplied by the manufacturer.
Simple as that.
But thanks for the support.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2012   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I have a similar setup (A6-3420M with 6520G and HD7470M) and the dedicated GPU is only used for DirectX 10 and 11 games.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2012   #16

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LinusBE View Post
I have a similar setup (A6-3420M with 6520G and HD7470M) and the dedicated GPU is only used for DirectX 10 and 11 games.
Thanks, good to know.
I had to update to the 12.8 ccc, because the setup is bsod with 12.3 stock drivers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2012   #17

7 x64
 
 

Hi, I've recently got the same laptop as you - K53TK - and am having the same problem. I've uninstalled 6520G from device manager and let windows find and install it automatically. And it did - it found both 6520G and 7670M, and GPU-Z showed activity from both cards during GPU-demanding games. The problem was that every time after turning on the system it reminded that there were no gpu drivers.. So then I've tried installing 12.3 CCC just like you did, but it happened so that it didn't install any GPU driver - just some random tools that are probably useless. After that I've tried 12.6 - this one had GPU drivers to offer, but now 7670M is recognized as Radeon 6600 / 6700 M Series GPU, though GPU-Z shows its activities...

I'm new with all this driver-stuff so it's kind of hard to figure out what to do, what else to try and etc. So far I think I'm gonna leave that 12.6CCC and see how is it going to deal with 7670m in games.. So far it's capable of handling some games, but probably not how it could with normal drivers..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #18

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nutle View Post
Hi, I've recently got the same laptop as you - K53TK - and am having the same problem. I've uninstalled 6520G from device manager and let windows find and install it automatically. And it did - it found both 6520G and 7670M, and GPU-Z showed activity from both cards during GPU-demanding games. The problem was that every time after turning on the system it reminded that there were no gpu drivers.. So then I've tried installing 12.3 CCC just like you did, but it happened so that it didn't install any GPU driver - just some random tools that are probably useless. After that I've tried 12.6 - this one had GPU drivers to offer, but now 7670M is recognized as Radeon 6600 / 6700 M Series GPU, though GPU-Z shows its activities...

I'm new with all this driver-stuff so it's kind of hard to figure out what to do, what else to try and etc. So far I think I'm gonna leave that 12.6CCC and see how is it going to deal with 7670m in games.. So far it's capable of handling some games, but probably not how it could with normal drivers..
Hi, [sveikas! ]

Install 12.8ccc, i've had the least problems with bsods using this version.
Apart from that - the laptop is buggy in and of itself.
Hopefully the 3 year warranty will come in handy.

Sekmes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2012   #19

7 x64
 
 

Labas

What other problems/bugs are you having with your laptop? Cause with mine so far there weren't many bsods so far (only one or two, during some installations and reboots afterwards, so it's quite understandable) and I hope there won't be any more.

Oh, and by the way, is your 7670M also recognized as 6600/6700 M Series Radeon? I mean, is this a thing for all k53tk's, or it's just a poor driver setup?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2012   #20

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Well it's just been having random stuff like little shimmering horizontal lines on the screen. First in browsers, then in general. It stops after reinstalling drivers again. I don't know if it's a permanent issue, but it's happened to me 3 times already.

Mine is recognized that way too, but it's a manufacturing/driver problem. The system of 2 gpus is new to AMD, so they're too slow to make it right for every single piece of hardware they release.

That's my take on it.
Does your laptop heat up though? Mine goes to 60-70C.

Hope it goes well for you, at least the laptop is cheap (1400lt). 3 year warranty for this is really awesome, dont you think?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help me set primary adapter on AMD Catalyst 6520G+7670M




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Help me set primary adapter on AMD Catalyst 6520G+7670M
Thread Forum
SoftAP: Select a secondary adapter without disabling primary? Network & Sharing
Error: "Primary Display's Adapter Does Not Support NVIDIA 3D Vision" Graphic Cards
Ati radeon 7670m problem Graphic Cards
Can't install driver for HD 6520G Drivers
Solved Catalyst Control Center shows second video card as 'Disabled Adapter' Graphic Cards
Primary Graphics Adapter Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33