|10 Nov 2012||#1|
Windows 7 installing wrong driver for graphics card.
Working with a MSI r5770 and an NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GSO. The unrelated drivers are (NVIDIA Geforce 7100/NVIDIA nForce 630i)
I changed my video card and when I booted the machine to install the drivers, Windows automatically started doing just that. Problem is they are the wrong drivers. I tried downloading and installing the correct ones, but only two things happen:
1. If I uninstall the incorrect drivers through Device Manager and then try to run the .exe that would automatically install the drivers, the installation completes but nothing apparent happens. I "Scan for hardware changes" or just reboot as per instruction, and the wrong/unrelated drivers are just installed again.
2. If I try to update the driver through device manager by manually selecting a directory which contains the driver, it will tell me that the faulty unrelated driver is the best and most up-to-date driver.
For the record, the sequence of events:
1. Replace MSI R5770 with old NVIDIA GeForce 9600GSO after noticeable performance drop in former.
2. Windows 7 automatically updates with wrong drivers(NVIDIA Geforce 7100/NVIDIA nForce 630i) for the card. Can not get any signal from card.
3. Switch back MSI R5770, it automatically installs the exact same driver(NVIDIA Geforce 7100/NVIDIA nForce 630i)
4. Google a lot.
5. Make this thread.
Please spare some help.
|My System Specs|
|10 Nov 2012||#2|
The NVIDIA Geforce 7100/NVIDIA nForce 630i drivers are video drivers and chip-set drivers. The GeForce 7100 part is for your onboard video card, the nForce 630i is for your motherboards chip-set. Let them install and don't worry about it. I install the NVIDIA nForce 630a / GeForce 7025 drivers for my motherboard. Then I install the GeForce 306.97 Desktop Win8 Win7 64bit drivers for my GT220. One doesn't interfere with the other, the video drivers get updated and the chip-set drivers are left alone. All I have to do is set the video to PCIe in BIOS.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 installing wrong driver for graphics card.|
|Windows re-installed wrong graphics card displayed||Graphic Cards|
|Need help installing new graphics card driver||Graphic Cards|
|dxdiag showing the wrong graphics card||Graphic Cards|
|Windows reports wrong graphics card||Graphic Cards|
|What's wrong with my graphics card?||BSOD Help and Support|
|Windows 7 & not installing Graphics Card||Drivers|
|Graphics Card Driver not installing||Graphic Cards|
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 PM.