Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Driver update for 4800 series today?


30 Sep 2009   #1

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 
Driver update for 4800 series today?

So today Windows Update popped up with an important update:



Then I went to the Ati website and there's no new driver update?

So.. update or not? Is this a bug?

thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Sep 2009   #2

 

I have been ignoring an ATI driver update at MS for some time. I notice also that the release date is 08/31.

Click on More Information.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #3

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

It brought me to this site...

Winqual Help

either way, what's up with Windows Update? This is kinda dumb
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Sep 2009   #4

Vista Ult64, Win7600
 
 

It's been telling me the same thing about a new update for my video card, but I have tried twice to install it, and both times it has failed, so I just ignore it now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #5
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Driver only, no CCC, and if I remember from the first time I saw this posted it is either the 9.7 or 9.8; not much sense if like me you are already running the Cat 9.9.

Do yourself a very large favor and put it (and any other time it decides to show up) on ignore.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jfar View Post
It's been telling me the same thing about a new update for my video card, but I have tried twice to install it, and both times it has failed, so I just ignore it now.
Probably failed because it is older than what you currently have installed. I have a feeling that when a driver shows up through WU it doesn't go by what driver version is currently installed, just by the hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #6

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jstar View Post
It brought me to this site...

Winqual Help

either way, what's up with Windows Update? This is kinda dumb
My bad - the release date on the Win Update page. Also, the More Information page just takes me to "There is no more information" page, not WinQual.

.


Attached Thumbnails
Driver update for 4800 series today?-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #7

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Probably failed because it is older than what you currently have installed. I have a feeling that when a driver shows up through WU it doesn't go by what driver version is currently installed, just by the hardware.
+1. I have specifically observed that in the past.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2009   #8

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Update for 4800 series appeared to me also. it says is published yesterday and that's about all the details I can get. Had in the past, just after I got the RTM, a similar update, went over to install it and f**k my system up for good, couldn't be restored. It was a older Catalyst they sent through the update, so if you use 9.9 better stay away from this one and hide it, 9.10 will be released only later this month.
Updates are supposed to make your system safer, but these M$-ATI collaborations are downright dangerous.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2009   #9
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

toyo that can happen with any driver update through WU, not just ATI drivers, and has been happening as long as driver updates have been offered through Windows Update. Driver updates through WU serve a place, usually for those that a computer is an appliance and don't know any better, or what is inside their computer to begin with, and wouldn't know where to look for a driver update.

Most that know not to get them through WU and how to find the device manufacturer's web site, also have Automatic Updates either turned off or at leas set to notify but don't install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2009   #10

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
toyo that can happen with any driver update through WU, not just ATI drivers, and has been happening as long as driver updates have been offered through Windows Update. Driver updates through WU serve a place, usually for those that a computer is an appliance and don't know any better, or what is inside their computer to begin with, and wouldn't know where to look for a driver update.

Most that know not to get them through WU and how to find the device manufacturer's web site, also have Automatic Updates either turned off or at leas set to notify but don't install.
+1

after having been burned several times by windows driver updates, i've learned to ignore and go straight to the manufacturer.

(saying that, i'm still on 9.6, due to an issue with later drivers and one of my favourite games, empire total war.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Driver update for 4800 series today?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Driver update for 4800 series today?
Thread Forum
Solved AMD Radeon HD 4800 Series and 4770 Crossfire possible? Graphic Cards
Ati Radeon 4800 Series stuck in 1x Graphic Cards
Is ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series a good/decent graphics card? Graphic Cards
Dual Monitors + 1 TV, Possible on 4800 Series? Graphic Cards
Windows 7 drivers for Lexmark 4800 series Drivers
ATI Radeon HD 4800 series Graphic Cards
ATI 4800 Series Warning Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33