Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to improve VGA quality?

01 Jan 2013   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
How to improve VGA quality?

I have a 1080p LG LCD Monitor.

It has 2 inputs, DVI and VGA. I have two different types of cables, HDMI-DVI and VGA-VGA. I tried connecting my laptop to the monitor.

My laptop has two outputs, VGA and HDMI. When I use the HDMI output, the image on my monitor is sharp and clear. When I use the VGA output and the VGA-VGA cable, the image on my monitor is blurry.

Is there any fix?



EDIT: My VGA connector also has one peculiarity. From the point of view of the sockets, Pin No. 9 is missing, for both ends. (although it may unused)




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Jan 2013   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

The vga cable has a lower resolution than HDMI and the HDMI cable is designed to carry the 1080p resolution along with sound. Stick with the HDMI cable it's much better as you found out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2013   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
The vga cable has a lower resolution than HDMI and the HDMI cable is designed to carry the 1080p resolution along with sound. Stick with the HDMI cable it's much better as you found out.
then why are all these people saying the exact opposite?

vga worse than hdmi - Google Search
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Jan 2013   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Are you sure my problem is due to the limitations of VGA?

My VGA connector also has one peculiarity. From the point of view of the sockets, Pin No. 9 is missing, for both ends. (although it may unused)




Lastly, I've been checking other forums, where they say that HDMI produces no noticeable video quality improvement over VGA.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2013   #5

Win 7 Pro 64-bit 7601
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by luckyrick View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
The vga cable has a lower resolution than HDMI and the HDMI cable is designed to carry the 1080p resolution along with sound. Stick with the HDMI cable it's much better as you found out.
then why are all these people saying the exact opposite?
vga worse than hdmi - Google Search
If you actually read most of the threads it finds, the answers are that it's a scaling issue and that it is fixed by telling the TV that it is coming from a PC from its options or from graphic card's control panels in the computer.

VGA is very old and is worse than HDMI, but for most non-TV resolutions it's the same, and all VGA cables I know have all the pins.

This post says what the pin 9 does on a VGA.

I'd frankly buy another VGA cable just in case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2013   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobafetthotmail View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by luckyrick View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
The vga cable has a lower resolution than HDMI and the HDMI cable is designed to carry the 1080p resolution along with sound. Stick with the HDMI cable it's much better as you found out.
then why are all these people saying the exact opposite?
vga worse than hdmi - Google Search
If you actually read most of the threads it finds, the answers are that it's a scaling issue and that it is fixed by telling the TV that it is coming from a PC from its options or from graphic card's control panels in the computer.

VGA is very old and is worse than HDMI, but for most non-TV resolutions it's the same, and all VGA cables I know have all the pins.

This post says what the pin 9 does on a VGA.

I'd frankly buy another VGA cable just in case.

Thanks. But what do you mean by non-TV resolutions? My monitor is 19" 1080p.

I notice a substantial drop in image sharpness, still not sure if that is considered normal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2013   #7

Win 7 Pro 64-bit 7601
 
 

non-TV resolution is a resolution of a computer screen. TVs are different, and depending on model they may be throttling down input from VGA for uhm... marketing reasons.

VGA is able to handle 1080p just fine (you don't notice the difference between VGA, DVI and HDMI), so I think your cable is damaged/old/defective. Cables can screw up things and I fixed quite a few "video issues" by changing the VGA cable.

Quote:
I notice a substantial drop in image sharpness, still not sure if that is considered normal.
It's not normal.
Can you check that windows is set to run at the right resolution? (right click on an empty spot of the desktop, and select Screen Resolution to access the relevant settings panel) the VGA cable you are using (that lacks pin number 9) prevents the monitor from telling its specs to the computer, so you have to set the resolution manually.

Again, buying a VGA cable with all pins in their place allows the screen to communicate with the computer, and if that was the case Windows 7 will start spamming popups saying "this resolution is not optimal" offering you to set it to the screen's native resolution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2013   #8

WIN7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Most monitors come with a digital driver &
An analogue driver
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2013   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobafetthotmail View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by luckyrick View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
The vga cable has a lower resolution than HDMI and the HDMI cable is designed to carry the 1080p resolution along with sound. Stick with the HDMI cable it's much better as you found out.
then why are all these people saying the exact opposite?
vga worse than hdmi - Google Search
If you actually read most of the threads it finds, the answers are that it's a scaling issue and that it is fixed by telling the TV that it is coming from a PC from its options or from graphic card's control panels in the computer.

VGA is very old and is worse than HDMI, but for most non-TV resolutions it's the same, and all VGA cables I know have all the pins.

This post says what the pin 9 does on a VGA.

I'd frankly buy another VGA cable just in case.
Well, tell that to bassfisher6522. I tried another VGA cable and got the same result.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2013   #10

Win 7 Pro 64-bit 7601
 
 

Heh, I'd say the port on either the laptop or the monitor is damaged then. Try using the VGA on another monitor, and if it works fine the broken port is the one of the monitor.

Also, what is that laptop's graphic card? Intel ones sometimes hate some screens for unknown reasons.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to improve VGA quality?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33