Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Using old sony vaio, tried upgrading to W7


07 Jan 2013   #1

attempting to use w7 64bit
 
 
Using old sony vaio, tried upgrading to W7

I am currently using a Sony Vaio All-in-one desktop. It probably around 6 years old, and has been running slowly lately so I wiped it using DBAN and then proceeded to install Windows 7 64 bit. After installing java, activex and some other drivers, I then downloaded a game called League of Legends. When I tried running the game however, I got a "could not load direct3d" error. So, after delving into some research (my model number is VGC-LT10E), it seems to me that this computer is so old, that Sony never released updated drivers for Windows 7 compatibility. The only drivers I could find (graphics card is GeForce 8400m GT) were compatible only with Vista. To add to the mess, this comp apparently only uses proprietary drivers, so I couldn't get drivers from nvidia's website.

TL;DR -
Does anyone know of a way to get working drivers for my Sony Vaio (VGC-LT10E) on Windows 7 64 bit?
I want to try and avoid having to downgrade back to Vista.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jan 2013   #2

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Hello and welcome breezy mate have a look in Control Panel > Device Manager > right click on the different devices and update the driver auto. See pic

Some system specs would be good too I know we can look for the model but that isn't to say it has not been altered - Speccy will do that for you.

Speccy - Download < from piriform watch out for daft add ons

Hum just found this http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...3#/downloadTab & http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...d9a4#/howtoTab


Attached Thumbnails
Using old sony vaio, tried upgrading to W7-dm.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2013   #3

attempting to use w7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Hello and welcome breezy mate have a look in Control Panel > Device Manager > right click on the different devices and update the driver auto. See pic

Some system specs would be good too I know we can look for the model but that isn't to say it has not been altered - Speccy will do that for you.

Speccy - Download < from piriform watch out for daft add ons

Hum just found this Sony eSupport - VGC-LT10E - Support & Sony eSupport - VGC-LT10E - Support
When I click auto update driver for both monitor and graphics card, it tells me I have the newest one.

The bottom two URL's have drivers that are for Vista only. They didn't work for me


Attached Thumbnails
Using old sony vaio, tried upgrading to W7-speccy-summary.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Jan 2013   #4

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Sorry Breezy I thought they might. I do notice too you have 2GB RAM which I think would be better if you could get another 2GB on board as you are running a 64bit system and gaming too. Not expensive to do and having just fixed a Vista machine with similar specs and with a 32bit system the effect of the extra RAM was quite dramatic.

But the drivers we will need to do some more searching. Will return.

John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Hello abreezy and welcome to Seven Forums.

Sorry for jumping in. Don't mean to step on anyones toes.

Absolutely no guarantees but you may be able to use the Vista drivers by running them in Compatibility Mode.

Compatibility Mode

And just a bit off topic, but I noticed in the Speccy screenshot that your CPU and motherboard are 71C and 70C respectively. That's kinda on the warm side, especially if you're not doing anything CPU intensive. If you can get the Vista drivers to install and you start loading down the CPU playing LoL, those temps may get into the 90s or more. Definitely the danger zone.

Again, my apologies for jumping in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #6

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by abreezy View Post
I am currently using a Sony Vaio All-in-one desktop. It probably around 6 years old, and has been running slowly lately so I wiped it using DBAN and then proceeded to install Windows 7 64 bit. After installing java, activex and some other drivers, I then downloaded a game called League of Legends. When I tried running the game however, I got a "could not load direct3d" error. So, after delving into some research (my model number is VGC-LT10E), it seems to me that this computer is so old, that Sony never released updated drivers for Windows 7 compatibility. The only drivers I could find (graphics card is GeForce 8400m GT) were compatible only with Vista. To add to the mess, this comp apparently only uses proprietary drivers, so I couldn't get drivers from nvidia's website.

TL;DR -
Does anyone know of a way to get working drivers for my Sony Vaio (VGC-LT10E) on Windows 7 64 bit?
I want to try and avoid having to downgrade back to Vista.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
I'm a bit confused. The Sony support site for the VGC-LT10E only lists Intel graphics.

Aside from that, there are 8400m drivers for Windows 7 X64. I vaguely recall installing the Vista X64 drivers for my 4 year old cheap Compaq laptop, and subsequently getting newer drivers via Windows Update.

I wish that notebook/all-in-one makers would stop using custom device IDs for their onboard graphics. No doubt it simplifies their support, but it makes life difficult for those who wish to update beyond what the manufacturer decided to officially support.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2013   #7

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Hello abreezy and welcome to Seven Forums.

Sorry for jumping in. Don't mean to step on anyones toes.

Absolutely no guarantees but you may be able to use the Vista drivers by running them in Compatibility Mode.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

And just a bit off topic, but I noticed in the Speccy screenshot that your CPU and motherboard are 71C and 70C respectively. That's kinda on the warm side, especially if you're not doing anything CPU intensive. If you can get the Vista drivers to install and you start loading down the CPU playing LoL, those temps may get into the 90s or more. Definitely the danger zone.

Again, my apologies for jumping in.
Yep M I did notice those temps but was thinking it probably just needs a clean out plus some ore RAM to be honest 2GB is a drop in the bucket these days eh?

Breezy I don't know how you are with the innards but can you take a look inside and see how dusty it is? maybe get a photoshot of the inside mate we can go from there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Using old sony vaio, tried upgrading to W7




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Using old sony vaio, tried upgrading to W7
Thread Forum
Upgrading from Sony Vaio running Vista General Discussion
SONY VAIO Slows At Start Up, Before SONY Logo Loads. General Discussion
Sony Vaio Fax Hardware & Devices
No sound Sony Vaio and No Sony Support Sound & Audio
Sony Vaio Installation & Setup
Win 7 on Sony SONY VAIO VGN-NR123E General Discussion
Sony Vaio Upgrading kit to Windows 7 Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33