Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Nvida 8400M GS only working with WDDM


10 Jan 2013   #1

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 
Nvida 8400M GS only working with WDDM

Hi,

I have a Dell Vostro 1510 running Win 7 Ent x64 with a Nvidia 8400M GS graphic card.
It works fine with the WDDM Driver but when i install nvidia driver the display is not looking so nice:


I have to do a system restore or start it in fail safe and uninstall the nvidi driver to be able to see anything on my screen.

Tested with the latest:
Version 310.90 - WHQL Release Date Sat Jan 05, 2013 Operating System Windows 7 64-bit
I aloso testade som older drivers and the one from dells page but i gett the same problem.
Any ideas or any other driver i can test to install?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jan 2013   #2

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Hi vovven,

'nVidia 8500M GPU' comes as 'factory installed' with 'Vostro 1510' laptop. This model has been tested by Dell with 'Windows XP and Windows Vista 32 bit' only; therefore its 'Windows 7 compatible drivers' are not listed on 'Dell Support Website'.

However, nVidia does offer 'Windows 7' compatible drivers for '8500M adapter'; version that you've tried (310.90) is the best available option.

As an OEM product, the device drivers may be 'custom designed'; this may be the reason why the 'nVidia driver' has not worked efficiently on your system. You may try to install 'Windows XP' compatible drivers (from Dell Support Website) in 'Compatibility Mode'; it may produce better results:
- Click Driver Details | Dell United States to download the file
- Follow the steps listed in this tutorial to install the driver in 'Windows XP sp2' compatibility mode: Compatibility Mode

Hope this helps. Do reply with the findings; would be glad to assist.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2013   #3

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Saurabh A View Post
Hi vovven,

'nVidia 8500M GPU' comes as 'factory installed' with 'Vostro 1510' laptop. This model has been tested by Dell with 'Windows XP and Windows Vista 32 bit' only; therefore its 'Windows 7 compatible drivers' are not listed on 'Dell Support Website'.

However, nVidia does offer 'Windows 7' compatible drivers for '8500M adapter'; version that you've tried (310.90) is the best available option.

As an OEM product, the device drivers may be 'custom designed'; this may be the reason why the 'nVidia driver' has not worked efficiently on your system. You may try to install 'Windows XP' compatible drivers (from Dell Support Website) in 'Compatibility Mode'; it may produce better results:
- Click Driver Details | Dell United States to download the file
- Follow the steps listed in this tutorial to install the driver in 'Windows XP sp2' compatibility mode: Compatibility Mode

Hope this helps. Do reply with the findings; would be glad to assist.
Hi Saurabh A,

I tested to install the drivers in compatibility mode (XP SP2 and admin) but i got:


I also tryed to manualy select the drivers extracted at "C:\DELL\Drivers\R190909" and got this:
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Jan 2013   #4

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

You may have a problem.

Because laptop manufacturers sometimes use custom device IDs for their graphics, the installer that you download from www.nvidia.com may not recognize your 8400M graphics. I'd normally suggest getting drivers from Dell (support.dell.com), but they only offer XP and 32 bit Vista drivers. No use on X64.

If the latest nVidia drivers (Drivers | GeForce) won't install, it may be possible to mod (modify) the installer to support your device ID. I have never done it.

You could also try updating the drivers manually (browse the updater to C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\310.90\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver, or whatever you get when you try to install the NVidia drivers). I doubt that it'll work, though.

I expect Dell support to be of no help, as they don't support 7 X64 on the Vostro 1510.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2013   #5

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Hi vovven,

It appears that this 'display driver' won't work with the GPU in your system. As correctly stated by 'bobkn', this model is tested and designed to work with 'Windows XP and Vista 32 bit' only; therefore Windows 7 compatible drivers for this unit may not be available.

Another workaround that you may want to try is to install the 'Windows XP 64 bit' nVidia drivers in compatibility mode: Drivers | GeForce
(Please ensure that you remove the existing drivers)

Positive results are unlikely in this case also; however, is worth a shot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2013   #6

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Try drivers from this website
Drivers | drivers for mobile cards and laptops | laptopvideo2go.com

Go to device manager, right click on standard vga, Properties, Details tab, Dropdown to hardware ids. Copy and paste results to the 'Search terms' of the website.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2013   #7

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
Try drivers from this website
Drivers | drivers for mobile cards and laptops | laptopvideo2go.com

Go to device manager, right click on standard vga, Properties, Details tab, Dropdown to hardware ids. Copy and paste results to the 'Search terms' of the website.
Tested with drivers from laptopvideo2go 302.59 and a older verson still getting this:
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2013   #8

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Saurabh A View Post
Hi vovven,

It appears that this 'display driver' won't work with the GPU in your system. As correctly stated by 'bobkn', this model is tested and designed to work with 'Windows XP and Vista 32 bit' only; therefore Windows 7 compatible drivers for this unit may not be available.

Another workaround that you may want to try is to install the 'Windows XP 64 bit' nVidia drivers in compatibility mode: Drivers | GeForce
(Please ensure that you remove the existing drivers)

Positive results are unlikely in this case also; however, is worth a shot.
I tested to install the XP 64 bit driver and got the sam problem. I also tested to format the drive and install Windows XP 64 bit and installed SP2 but a got the same problem with the black screen with lines.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2013   #9

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Here is some more tests with 32 bit verson of Windows 7

-Dell driver (R189832) for Vista 32 bit
-Dell driver (R190909) for XP installed in compability mode
-The latest driver from Nvidia for Windows 7 32-bit

Same thing happend with all of them, screen just showing lines.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2013   #10

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Very strange.

Does that laptop use the "optimus" drivers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Nvida 8400M GS only working with WDDM




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Nvida 8400M GS only working with WDDM
Thread Forum
Solved Safely removing old NVIDA drivers ? Drivers
Another Nvida Geforce GT220 problem Graphic Cards
NVIDA GeForce 9800m GS card not working. Graphic Cards
Nvida GeForce 8400M GS crashes Graphic Cards
Update poblems with Sony All-In-One and NVIDA GPU Installation & Setup
nvida 8500gt geforce not compatible with vga Graphic Cards
Notebook Nvida driver problem Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33