Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Sapphire HD5770 D4000 red led issues. Fan problems?


31 Jan 2013   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Sapphire HD5770 D4000 red led issues. Fan problems?

Hi, I've been having issues with my HD5770 for a while now and I'm looking for some help.

For the longest time, my graphics card worked perfectly with my computer and everything was fine, I never had cooling issues or anything like that and there really were no problems. Recently my computer would power up for a little while, seem to be working alright, but then shut off if you tried to use it for an extended period of time. Consecutive uses would make the computer shut off earlier than it had the try before, so I assumed the card was overheating. When I opened the case to have a look, I noticed that the D4000 red led was lit and googled for similar issues to my own, and it turned out that the led was related to overheating issues.

When I looked inside the case I noticed that while the fan was turning, it was bugging along slowly and not spinning correctly. I decided to take the card out, apply new thermal compound (along with my CPU) and then put the components back in. Since using the thermal compound (and compressed air to clean the fans and heatsinks), the CPU purrs and is a lot cooler, but the GPU does not work at all.

Now when my GPU is put back in the machine, the fan does not turn at all. All 3 green leds on the card light up and it seems to run fine for a little while, as it had before, but it eventually shuts off (as there is no fan movement) and again, consecutive uses shorten the amount of time the GPU works. I've taken the GPU out again, but I'm clueless about what to do next, should I buy a new fan? There is no debris in the fan and when I spin it lightly with my finger it seems to spin perfectly? Although there is no resist from the fan at all, it is completely loose. I don't know if that is a bad sign.

The GPU is just over warranty by a few months. I also have no idea where to buy a new fan if that's what I need.

Thanks for reading!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Feb 2013   #2

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Did you plug the fan connector back to the GPU PCB? If you say it will not spin at all after you dissassembled.
Also, try using MSI afterburner to regulare your fan RPM's and see if it works with that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2013   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Did you plug the fan connector back to the GPU PCB? If you say it will not spin at all after you dissassembled.
Also, try using MSI afterburner to regulare your fan RPM's and see if it works with that.
I did reattach to the PCB. I cannot turn my computer on long enough to check MSI afterburner. There is no spinning at all, no RPM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Feb 2013   #4

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belnades View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Did you plug the fan connector back to the GPU PCB? If you say it will not spin at all after you dissassembled.
Also, try using MSI afterburner to regulare your fan RPM's and see if it works with that.
I did reattach to the PCB. I cannot turn my computer on long enough to check MSI afterburner. There is no spinning at all, no RPM.
Can you put another fan on the PSU? As in.. a non computer fan, to give it at least some airflow to check if MSI afterburner can regular the rpm?
And by any chance do you use speedfan?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2013   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belnades View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Did you plug the fan connector back to the GPU PCB? If you say it will not spin at all after you dissassembled.
Also, try using MSI afterburner to regulare your fan RPM's and see if it works with that.
I did reattach to the PCB. I cannot turn my computer on long enough to check MSI afterburner. There is no spinning at all, no RPM.
Can you put another fan on the PSU? As in.. a non computer fan, to give it at least some airflow to check if MSI afterburner can regular the rpm?
And by any chance do you use speedfan?
I don't own another fan, I don't use speedfan.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2013   #6

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Well in that case it seems to be a hardware issue.
Pitty that you took it appart and replace the paste. You would have still been able to request support from sapphire, but I doubt they will take it back to have it checked now that it has been disassembled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2013   #7
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Sapphire HD5770 D4000 red led issues. Fan problems?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Sapphire HD5770 D4000 red led issues. Fan problems?
Thread Forum
Sapphire HD5770 Viper-X: high GPU utilization watching HDTV Graphic Cards
Sapphire HD5770 problem. Graphic Cards
SAPPHIRE 3650 AGP problems (W7 ultimate 64bit) Graphic Cards
problem!! Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5770 Graphic Cards
Sapphire AMD 5770 Vapor X issues Graphic Cards
ATI Sapphire 4870x2 2gb - Win7 - Tons of issues Graphic Cards
Sapphire 5870 Problems installing Drivers Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33