Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Disabling powerXpress, using only ONE GPU?


13 Mar 2013   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Disabling powerXpress, using only ONE GPU?

Hello!

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, I did search.. But I found nothing on the topic.


SO. My laptop has Switchable graphics. It's a hassle, stupid AMD.

I want to disable the 4200 completely, I want to be able to use the Regular drivers from the AMD Website, as I am now stuck on 2+ year old drivers from HP.

So, I was wondering if anyone would have a solution to my problem? The reason is that the 5650 has much better performance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Mar 2013   #2

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nojeb001 View Post
Hello!

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, I did search.. But I found nothing on the topic.


SO. My laptop has Switchable graphics. It's a hassle, stupid AMD.

I want to disable the 4200 completely, I want to be able to use the Regular drivers from the AMD Website, as I am now stuck on 2+ year old drivers from HP.

So, I was wondering if anyone would have a solution to my problem? The reason is that the 5650 has much better performance.
Your HD 5650 will be used when it is required a strong graphics performance...
Your HD 4200 will run only in low profile applications or in desktop activities.

Did you look in BIOS if there is any setting to turn off switchable graphics?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2013   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Hi, Nik. Thanks for replying.
Yes, I know it will be used only when I need it, but my real problem is the drivers.

The drivers can't be upgraded to the Newest Catalyst ones, I have to use the one that HP has provided on their website, which is over two years old!

The BIOS has no settings to set which graphics you want to use.

//Nor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Mar 2013   #4

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nojeb001 View Post
Hi, Nik. Thanks for replying.
Yes, I know it will be used only when I need it, but my real problem is the drivers.

The drivers can't be upgraded to the Newest Catalyst ones, I have to use the one that HP has provided on their website, which is over two years old!

The BIOS has no settings to set which graphics you want to use.

//Nor
Have you tried to disable the HD 4200 in device manager?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2013   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NikDorado View Post
Have you tried to disable the HD 4200 in device manager?
Yes, but that still doesn't allow me to install fresh drivers from their website.. When I do, It doesn't detect an AMD card, or ANY card, really.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2013   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Bump
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Disabling powerXpress, using only ONE GPU?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Disabling powerXpress, using only ONE GPU?
Thread Forum
Wifi Disabling itself Hardware & Devices
Disabling ToolTips? General Discussion
Solved Disabling 3d acceleration Graphic Cards
Still having bad DPC latency, have tried disabling LAN, USB, etc. General Discussion
Help ! DWM keeps Disabling itself Customization
What are the implications of disabling the UAC System Security
Disabling UAC... wow System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33