Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help


23 Mar 2013   #11

 

So, you don't know which one it is? I'm just trying to get to a point, but I don't want to get too far off topic either.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Mar 2013   #12

Win7 Pro SP1 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
So, you don't know which one it is? I'm just trying to get to a point, but I don't want to get too far off topic either.
No I would have to open my case. But PSU's have come way down in price. You can get a modular 750 W PSU by Corsair for $139.00.

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #13

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

TwoCables because we don't agree on this subject doesn't mean either one of us is right or wrong. It means we disagree on this subject. That is allowed. I don't have a problem with that.
By reading your post I have no doubt that you have the knowledge to produce all kinds of graphs to prove your point. I don't have a problem with that either. If you are doing great on another Forum that is okay with me also.

I just have a different way of answering a basic question of what power supply do we/I/you recommend.

I give my suggestion and the reasons for them in a 2x2=4 method. That gives the person asking the question a choice on how to select a power supply. That is good.
If we don't agree oh well I will get over it but I will post my methods just like you will post your methods.

It's not a me and you thing. It's just two people answering the question using our own methods. Some will like your method and maybe some will like my method.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Mar 2013   #14

 

Tell any real PSU expert that you recommend a quality-made 750W PSU to power a system that has just two 670s and an i7-970 at stock, and they will have a good laugh and then they will tell you how that is unnecessary overkill and a huge waste of money.

Like I said, a quality-made 550W PSU is plenty, and you can get a high-end modular PSU for $89.99 shipped from Newegg ($50 less than the overpriced HX750):

SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

This PSU can deliver 550W 24/7, even if its internal temperature reaches 50C. A power draw of 450W would be a walk in the park for this PSU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #15

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Is a 750w quality power supply over kill? Yes it is and hurts absolutely nothing. It will do the job needed with ease. It will do the job and run cooler, quieter, and longer. Plus give room for the OP to add things to the computer later if desired without buying another power supply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #16

Win7 Pro SP1 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Tell any real PSU expert that you recommend a quality-made 750W PSU to power a system that has just two 670s and an i7-970 at stock, and they will have a good laugh and then they will tell you how that is unnecessary overkill and a huge waste of money.

Like I said, a quality-made 550W PSU is plenty, and you can get a high-end modular PSU for $89.99 shipped from Newegg ($50 less than the overpriced HX750):

SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

This PSU can deliver 550W 24/7, even if its internal temperature reaches 50C. A power draw of 450W would be a walk in the park for this PSU.
Good then go purchase it. My Daughters PC is 5 years old and it came with a 550 Watt PSU .Good luck with overclocking that. I hope it works out for you. I would pay no heed to anyone that would laugh at me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #17

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Is a 750w quality power supply over kill? Yes it is and hurts absolutely nothing. It will do the job needed with ease. It will do the job and run cooler, quieter, and longer. Plus give room for the OP to add things to the computer later if desired without buying another power supply.
You may not know this, but a PSU like the 550W SeaSonic G Series powering a system that will have a maximum power consumption (maximum, I said) will definitely run cool, quiet, and easily past its warranty. It'll probably easily approach 10 years. We're not talking about weak PSUs here.

So you see?


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Tell any real PSU expert that you recommend a quality-made 750W PSU to power a system that has just two 670s and an i7-970 at stock, and they will have a good laugh and then they will tell you how that is unnecessary overkill and a huge waste of money.

Like I said, a quality-made 550W PSU is plenty, and you can get a high-end modular PSU for $89.99 shipped from Newegg ($50 less than the overpriced HX750):

SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

This PSU can deliver 550W 24/7, even if its internal temperature reaches 50C. A power draw of 450W would be a walk in the park for this PSU.
Good then go purchase it. My Daughters PC is 5 years old and it came with a 550 Watt PSU .Good luck with overclocking that. I hope it works out for you. I would pay no heed to anyone that would laugh at me.
A 550W PSU that comes with a computer is usually garbage and should never be trusted - especially not for overclocking. Although again, I'm not talking about overclocking and I never was. Just because the site's name is Overclock.net and just because I recommended that Layback Bear go over there to ask about me, it doesn't mean I'm talking about overclocking.

Anyway, the kind of PSU that came with her computer likely has very cheap internal components and its +12V capacity is probably between 250 and 300W (because it's 5 years old, and therefore it has that old design where the +12V wasn't nearly as important as it is today). For a modern system, that would mean it's a crappy 350W PSU at best. It probably also has an extremely low efficiency of 70% or lower. I wouldn't even use a PSU like that in a simple office PC (a modern one).

The 550W SeaSonic G Series is a very high-end modern PSU that has a +12V capacity of 540W. All of its internals are very high quality which means you could overclock with complete confidence. This isn't the only high-end 550W PSU, but it's a high-end modular PSU at a great price of $89.99 shipped. That's why I'm mentioning it. I could just as easily mention the 550W non-modular Rosewill CAPSTONE Series. It's essentially the same type of quality, only the PSU that Rosewill used to create it is the Super Flower Golden Green which is another awesome unit. However, it's $90.98 after shipping and again, it's not modular.

So you see, just because you have two PSUs with the "550W" rating, it doesn't mean they are identical.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #18

Win7 Pro SP1 64
 
 

It is still running great. Some people are just not worth the time to ague with. Have a nice day and enjoy yourself at that overclocking site. You obviously only think your opinion is right. One of these days you will smoke your PC and is it worth the savings of less than $50.00 to chance it? I don't think so but what do I know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #19

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gary View Post
It is still running great. Some people are just not worth the time to ague with. Have a nice day and enjoy yourself at that overclocking site. You obviously only think your opinion is right. One of these days you will smoke your PC and is it worth the savings of less than $50.00 to chance it? I don't think so but what do I know.
I'm not posting opinions.

If you think a quality-made 550W power supply (such as the 550W SeaSonic G Series or the Rosewill CAPSTONE Series, or even the Corsair TX550M) would end up "smoking" a computer like this that only has two GTX 670s and an i7-970 at stock, then you really don't know PSUs at all.

The reason her computer is still running ok is due to not really stressing the PSU too much. Put that PSU in a modern system and it will go down in less than a year, especially with as old as it is now.

You have to know these things when the only computers you own are the ones you built yourself.

Edit: Also, stop making fun of Overclock.net. You're missing the whole point by doing that. Do you know why I mentioned it in the first place?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #20

Win7 Pro SP1 64
 
 

That is what is posted in Forums--Opinions--Like it or not. I did not BTW make fun of Overclocking Forums. You right I have two degrees in Electronics and have worked for EDS, AT&T, Lucent and Avaya. I also worked a great deal with their power systems, the kind that take up a small room. I also was certified as a power technician. So do not put me down as you have no idea who you are dealing with. There are rules here, I suggest you follow them. I will not ever be responding to any of your posts./
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33