Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wondering if this GPU can run on my MB.


30 Apr 2013   #1

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 
Wondering if this GPU can run on my MB.

Ok, I currently have this Motherboard: GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-78LMT-S2P (rev. 5.x)

Now it says on the site that it's got
  1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16
  2. 1 x PCI Express x1 slot (All PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
  3. 1 x PCI slot


    Now this is the GPU I want to get but it says it's a PCI Express 3.0: Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-3658-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SuperClocked 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

    Will that GPU work on my Motherboard even though it don't have PCI Express 3.0 slots?

    I don't want to go and get the card and no be able to use it, and haven't had any troubles from this site asking for help info. So, in advance thank you for the help.



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Apr 2013   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro + Windows 10
 
 

Yes it will work, it is backwards compatible to 2.0 standard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2013   #3

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Sweet, now to just get that money for it aha. Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Apr 2013   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Box (64-bit installed) + Service Pack 1
 
 

OP, consider this:

GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB vs Radeon HD 7850 – Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare

7850 2gig is going for about the same price, 256-bit memory architecture vs that 650's 192-bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2013   #5

Windows 8.1 Pro + Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Faladu View Post
OP, consider this:

GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB vs Radeon HD 7850 – Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare

7850 2gig is going for about the same price, 256-bit memory architecture vs that 650's 192-bit.
Faladu, I like that hardware compare link. I compared my GTX 660 which is 192bit also. Where does the 256bit advantage have the most benefits? Higher resolutions?

Edit- Read a post at Toms hardware
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2013   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Box (64-bit installed) + Service Pack 1
 
 

See this:

GPU Dictionary: Understanding GPU & Video Card Specs - Gamer's Nexus | Gaming Hardware, Culture, Features, and PC Builds

I would give the 7850 overall edge over the 660 also, again that memory interface is why, and I preach go for more when comparing cards, if you have the PSU juice for them/budget.

The memory interface injunction with the memory bandwidth is what makes or breaks the real quality of a video card. Article quote:
A smaller interface can be compensated for by faster memory clock speeds or different types of memory.

But if it's close, the bandwidth interface (size) gives the edge to the better one, it's in use ALL the time.

My 7950 is a 384-bit card, if it was half (192) yeah it would be mediocre. I finally took the leap to top tier, first time ever, and this sucker had better last a while. muhaha
[It should, I behave, I still have my 5850, 8800GTS, and 7950GT all still in working order]

Your 660 is probably basically a crippled version of the 384-bit top tier cards.

Bring on the 32 core CPU with multi-CPU motherboards and 2048-bit bandwidth video cards, we have suffered enough!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2013   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by silkmudah View Post
Ok, I currently have this Motherboard: GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-78LMT-S2P (rev. 5.x)

Now it says on the site that it's got
  1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16
  2. 1 x PCI Express x1 slot (All PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
  3. 1 x PCI slot


    Now this is the GPU I want to get but it says it's a PCI Express 3.0: Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-3658-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SuperClocked 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

    Will that GPU work on my Motherboard even though it don't have PCI Express 3.0 slots?

    I don't want to go and get the card and no be able to use it, and haven't had any troubles from this site asking for help info. So, in advance thank you for the help.
As Dude has already mentioned, yes it will work. Just make sure you meet the power requirements for it, which should be fairly low anyways. Good luck and let us know how you like it.

-JackALope
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2013   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Box (64-bit installed) + Service Pack 1
 
 

Check your Power Supply's rated Watts, if you are under 500w, likely a no go on that card, but use a PSU calculator like this one to check:

Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator

Thermaltake is a good PSU brand, I recommend them, if you need an upgrade, but there are lots of good ones, 80Plus Bronze certified or higher is what I look for and read reviews...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2013   #9

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

My PSU is a new semi-mod 650W one from SeaSonic, I was looking at this part because soon I plan on upgrading my MB as well and SLI two of those GTX 650 TI BOOST cards.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2013   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by silkmudah View Post
My PSU is a new semi-mod 650W one from SeaSonic, I was looking at this part because soon I plan on upgrading my MB as well and SLI two of those GTX 650 TI BOOST cards.
That's a sweet PSU. I typically recommend SeaSonic because it's hard to beat their price and quality.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Wondering if this GPU can run on my MB.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Wondering if this GPU can run on my MB.
Thread Forum
Wondering... General Discussion
Just Wondering Network & Sharing
Solved Just wondering General Discussion
I was just wondering.... Gaming
Wondering Chillout Room
hmm, just wondering what this is for? General Discussion
Just wondering. Chillout Room

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33