Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Lag/Laggy animations with multiple displays (Extend desktop)


07 Aug 2013   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Lag/Laggy animations with multiple displays (Extend desktop)

I have three of these monitors all connected to a single GTX 680. The center monitor is connected via HDMI and the two side monitors are connected via DVI. With only a single monitor enabled, there is no lag. When I enable a secondary or third monitor in Control Panel>Display>Extend desktop to this display, I get lag. FireFox scrolls unsmoothly and animations throughout Windows are sluggish. I have Minecraft opened on the center monitor. The ingame FPS counter always stays above 80 but "feels" like 40 FPS (it's not smooth). Any suggestions on what to do?

Enabling the secondary and third monitors with NVIDIA's Control Panel (Surround) doesn't give any lag but breaks window snapping so I'd really like to control the monitors with Windows Control Panel.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Aug 2013   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64 Sp1
 
 

Its interesting that the nvidia control panel does not cause lag when setting it up, but windows control panel causes the issue.
I'm guessing you probably already checked for updated graphics drivers?
I would say you are running to much for the card to handle. Yes its possible. What resoloution do you have for each monitor? Even the best cards might stutter under three monitor loads and games.
You might need to do a dual card setup.
But again, it works fine under nvidia so this is puzzling.

2 possible causes for this(I think):

1)Try checking that this setting 'Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration' is not set to 'Single display performance mode' in the nVidia control panel (it's under 'Manage 3D settings'). Might take a look at that.

2) I don't have transparency enabled. I do not think it adds anything to the user experience and it isn't particularly good looking either. Otherwise Aero is still enabled aside from transparency.

Try a fps test and see what results you get.
Also, check your temperatures. If the card is getting really warm pushing all those displays and a game, it could be causing this issue. Although you said you were running mine craft....not exactaly a amazingly graphical game

Hope these thoughts somehow help...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2013   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
Its interesting that the nvidia control panel does not cause lag when setting it up, but windows control panel causes the issue.
I'm guessing you probably already checked for updated graphics drivers?
I would say you are running to much for the card to handle. Yes its possible. What resoloution do you have for each monitor? Even the best cards might stutter under three monitor loads and games.
You might need to do a dual card setup.
But again, it works fine under nvidia so this is puzzling.

2 possible causes for this(I think):

1)Try checking that this setting 'Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration' is not set to 'Single display performance mode' in the nVidia control panel (it's under 'Manage 3D settings'). Might take a look at that.

2) I don't have transparency enabled. I do not think it adds anything to the user experience and it isn't particularly good looking either. Otherwise Aero is still enabled aside from transparency.

Try a fps test and see what results you get.
Also, check your temperatures. If the card is getting really warm pushing all those displays and a game, it could be causing this issue. Although you said you were running mine craft....not exactaly a amazingly graphical game

Hope these thoughts somehow help...
-All three monitors are running in 1080p.
-The lag happens even if the only program running is Firefox. Window animations aren't smooth and scrolling in Firefox is choppy.
-Multiple display performance mode is enabled.
-When I disable Aero transparency, the lag goes away. However, I actually do like the transparency effect and I'm having a really hard time believing that a GTX 680 cannot handle three monitors with only Firefox open...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Aug 2013   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64 Sp1
 
 

Thank you for the information.
You didn't answer the question about the resolution. What is the monitors resolution settings?
Could you download a fps tool and see what fps you get before things start lagging?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2013   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
Thank you for the information.
You didn't answer the question about the resolution. What is the monitors resolution settings?
Could you download a fps tool and see what fps you get before things start lagging?
All three monitors are running at 1920x1080
The lag I'm referring to isn't while ingame, it is throughout the entire system. Window animations are choppy and the computer just feels slow. ex: Firefox scrolls slowly instead of smoothly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2013   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64 Sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Iamazn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
Thank you for the information.
You didn't answer the question about the resolution. What is the monitors resolution settings?
Could you download a fps tool and see what fps you get before things start lagging?
All three monitors are running at 1920x1080
The lag I'm referring to isn't while ingame, it is throughout the entire system. Window animations are choppy and the computer just feels slow. ex: Firefox scrolls slowly instead of smoothly.

How much ram does your GTX 680 have? 2GB?
(There is a 4GB ram version)

You might not believe me here, but this is a very high resolution setting. For all 3 monitors to run this would be quite a challenge even with a decent card. Firefox (and most browsers now) uses gpu acceleration in order to make pages run smoothly and scroll down and up nicely. If your card is pushing out that resolution on ALL monitors and running Firefox, this could push it over the edge. It sounds silly, but trust me. That is a lot of resolution. Firefox sucks up a whole ton of memory as well.
Does the sites it seem laggy are on all websites? Or have you noticed it more on sites with flash or html5 and/or java content?

Question: How much Ram do you have in your system?


Ok so to recap:

1.) When using the nvidia tools to make all 3 monitors enabled, you see no lag or performance drop when playing games or browsing; doing things otherwise?
2.) You have checked the temperature of your system and made sure it is not running to hot?
3.) You have checked for viruses/spyware and the like?
4.) You have made sure all graphics drivers are up to date as well as the software that uses the drivers?
5.) When you use windows settings to enable the monitors, is when this lags?
6.) you have checked for all windows updates?


Just reconfirming things here.

By the way, I searched Google for your card and a three monitor setup problems. Seems like a lot of people are having issues with it right now, and are waiting on a driver update.

See here as well: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...orce-gtx-680#1
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2013   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post

How much ram does your GTX 680 have? 2GB?
(There is a 4GB ram version)

You might not believe me here, but this is a very high resolution setting. For all 3 monitors to run this would be quite a challenge even with a decent card. Firefox (and most browsers now) uses gpu acceleration in order to make pages run smoothly and scroll down and up nicely. If your card is pushing out that resolution on ALL monitors and running Firefox, this could push it over the edge. It sounds silly, but trust me. That is a lot of resolution. Firefox sucks up a whole ton of memory as well.
Does the sites it seem laggy are on all websites? Or have you noticed it more on sites with flash or html5 and/or java content?

Question: How much Ram do you have in your system?
-4GB version
-Lag is there on all sites. Even if the only page open is a blank tab, window animations from minimizing and maximizing firefox seem slow.
-16GB RAM for the system.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
Ok so to recap:

1.) When using the nvidia tools to make all 3 monitors enabled, you see no lag or performance drop when playing games or browsing; doing things otherwise?
2.) You have checked the temperature of your system and made sure it is not running to hot?
3.) You have checked for viruses/spyware and the like?
4.) You have made sure all graphics drivers are up to date as well as the software that uses the drivers?
5.) When you use windows settings to enable the monitors, is when this lags?
6.) you have checked for all windows updates?


Just reconfirming things here.

By the way, I searched Google for your card and a three monitor setup problems. Seems like a lot of people are having issues with it right now, and are waiting on a driver update.

See here as well: Three Times The Fun: Surround on the GeForce GTX 680 | GeForce
1. NVIDIA CP = no lag, Windows CP = lag. I've noticed that when using the NVIDIA CP, my resolution in Windows CP>Display is listed at 5760x1080. Using only Windows CP to control the monitors still shows my resolution (in Display) as 1920x1080.
2. Yes, temperatures are normal.
3. Yes
4. I've tried three different GeForce drivers. I forgot the version of the first one I tried but it was at least a few months old. I then updated to the latest beta and after that reverted to the latest nonbeta.
5. Yes
6. Yes, after updating GeForce drivers didn't fix anything, I updated Windows using Windows Update. All updates it found were installed but the lag was still there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2013   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64 Sp1
 
 

Unfortunately sir I am at a loss here. I will try to see if someone else can help you here. I have run out of ideas.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2013   #9

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Filling in you System Specs would help others help you. Be as complete as you can.
This should help.

From Brink.
System Info - See Your System Specs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2013   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x86 Service Pack 1 - Linux Mint Mate 14 x64
 
 

What is it like with one or two monitors?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Lag/Laggy animations with multiple displays (Extend desktop)




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Lag/Laggy animations with multiple displays (Extend desktop)
Thread Forum
2nd Monitor: Can't Extend Desktop? Win7 Hardware & Devices
Solved extend desktop to TV messes up desktop icons Hardware & Devices
Desktop Icons shift when changing Multiple displays Performance & Maintenance
Nvidia GeForce 6200 - won't extend displays to second monitor Graphic Cards
Extend Desktop Graphic Cards
Extend desktop area Graphic Cards
Multiple Displays (Extended desktop) Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33