Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can I upgrade my graphics card..?

24 Dec 2013   #21
jacko900000

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
I concur, I see 2 also.

Red dots 6 and 11

I think they are just numbered 1 and 2, as all sata ports are, I`m sure they`re both the same speed.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
The layout says there are two SATA ports. One a SATA II, for the SSD, port two is SATA I where you would attach the HDD.
Oh yeah, Forgot to mention one of these are connected to my disc drive (DVD)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Dec 2013   #22
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Each SATA port will run one device, there is no splitting them. You can get an add in SATA card which you can put in the PCIe X1 slot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2013   #23
jacko900000

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Each SATA port will run one device, there is no splitting them. You can get an add in SATA card which you can put in the PCIe X1 slot.
Yeah I understand I can't split them,
Going back to what I said earlier but edited..

Quote:
I only have:
SATA - HDD currently connected
SATA 2 - disc drive (dvd)
PCI Express x16 slot - nothing connected (what wires would I need to connect SATA?)
PCI Express x1 slot - nothing connected (what wires would I need to connect SATA?)
eSATA - on back of tower - nothing connected
So if I wanted to add another SATA would that be done through the x1/x16 slot & what connectors would I need (sorry for being so dumb )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Dec 2013   #24
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

1. RAM - for normal usage, a RAM upgrade does not buy you much once you have 4GB or more.

2. SSD - as was said, that should be installed like another disk connected to a Sata port on the mobo. If you have a 6Gb port, that would be best but the 3Gb ports work too.

3. SSD usage - Once the SSD is installed, you transfer the OS to it. Here is a tutorial describing a couple of ways how to do that. SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System. You may have to park the user data temporarily on an external disk to make the OS fit on the SSD.

4. HDD usage - once your OS is running on the SSD, you make a data partition on the HDD. There you define folders for your user data (Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures). Give them names like Music2, Videos2, etc. to distinguish them from the default folders in the system. Then you right click on each folder and INCLUDE it into the appropriate library. Finally you transfer your files into those folders.

Note: In Documents there are sometimes folders that were generated by the system or a program. Do not transfer those.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2013   #25
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jacko900000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Each SATA port will run one device, there is no splitting them. You can get an add in SATA card which you can put in the PCIe X1 slot.
Yeah I understand I can't split them,
Going back to what I said earlier but edited..

Quote:
I only have:
SATA - HDD currently connected
SATA 2 - disc drive (dvd)
PCI Express x16 slot - nothing connected (what wires would I need to connect SATA?)
PCI Express x1 slot - nothing connected (what wires would I need to connect SATA?)
eSATA - on back of tower - nothing connected
So if I wanted to add another SATA would that be done through the x1/x16 slot & what connectors would I need (sorry for being so dumb )
Click SATA card in my post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2013   #26
jacko900000

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jacko900000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Each SATA port will run one device, there is no splitting them. You can get an add in SATA card which you can put in the PCIe X1 slot.
Yeah I understand I can't split them,
Going back to what I said earlier but edited..

Quote:
I only have:
SATA - HDD currently connected
SATA 2 - disc drive (dvd)
PCI Express x16 slot - nothing connected (what wires would I need to connect SATA?)
PCI Express x1 slot - nothing connected (what wires would I need to connect SATA?)
eSATA - on back of tower - nothing connected
So if I wanted to add another SATA would that be done through the x1/x16 slot & what connectors would I need (sorry for being so dumb )
Click SATA card in my post.
Oh yeah haha thanks!

So if I bought this I can run 4 SATA's from it?

But then here come's my next question.. Where do I run the power from say on a 3.5 SATA HDD?
Ah, Yes I'm dumb and this all started from a graphics update but my PC does need updating
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2013   #27
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Yes that would add 4 SATA III ports for you. The HDD power will come directly from your PSU.
SATA Power connector:

Can I upgrade my graphics card..?-6560_sata-hard-drive-power-cable-connector.jpg

Or if you don't have enough there's adapters like this from Molex to SATA.

Can I upgrade my graphics card..?-icon_1377854854.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2013   #28
Erick Aguilar

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but recommending a PSU for this computer would not work, or a graphics card for that matter, the Acer AX1031 uses a slim PSU as it is a low profile chassis.

A chassis would be required to fix the PSU required to run the desired GPU if it needs a higher power.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2013   #29
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
I don't know if you guys have noticed, but recommending a PSU for this computer would not work, or a graphics card for that matter, the Acer AX1031 uses a slim PSU as it is a low profile chassis.

A chassis would be required to fix the PSU required to run the desired GPU if it needs a higher power.
You are so right, I usually check it out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2013   #30
jacko900000

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
I don't know if you guys have noticed, but recommending a PSU for this computer would not work, or a graphics card for that matter, the Acer AX1031 uses a slim PSU as it is a low profile chassis.

A chassis would be required to fix the PSU required to run the desired GPU if it needs a higher power.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
I don't know if you guys have noticed, but recommending a PSU for this computer would not work, or a graphics card for that matter, the Acer AX1031 uses a slim PSU as it is a low profile chassis.

A chassis would be required to fix the PSU required to run the desired GPU if it needs a higher power.
You are so right, I usually check it out.
Thats why, for now I've scrapped the idea of upgrading graphics.
I just want a quick boot with smooth running.. I don't game on my PC just general use but I am on it alot !

Sometimes its days before it gets fully powered down, Just want advice on upgrading little things... Then a good shell to fully build a new one with a new mobo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I upgrade my graphics card..?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
upgrade Graphics Card ?
old Graphics Card Gtx 660 2gb twink fronz ram 8gb ddr3 proc: g630 2.8 ghz power supply:560watt PC Depot Online. MSI GF N750GTX-TI PCIE 2GB DDR5 128BIT new one Gtx 750 Ti 2gb Twink Fronz this one very cheap :p:p:p:p
Graphic Cards
Which graphics card can I upgrade to?
Hi, would like to know, what are my options, with regards to low-end graphics card? I currently have "Mobile Intel 4 series express chip" Integrated graphics, and a 305W PSU. Just wanted a budget graphics card, for running emulators and light end gaming. Need exact model numbers as I really...
Graphic Cards
graphics card upgrade
hi all i currently have a nvidia 8600 gts 256mb graphics card and i want to upgrade since i bought crysis 2 an this card is not runing crysis 2 properly.. too slow fan noise goes loud etc.. so what is the best card i could get between 100-150 price range the motherboard is asus-p5n-e sli...
Graphic Cards
Want to upgrade Graphics card.
Ok i just got enough money to finally upgrade my graphics card but i am worried about the installation. Is there anything special i have to do once i physically change the old one out with the new one? or can i just change it and all the drivers will be installed and stuff.
Graphic Cards
Upgrade Graphics Card
My current desktop configuration: Intel P4 2.66 GHz RAM: 1 GB (will upgrade to 2GB) Motherboard: MSI PM8PM L Current OS: Win XP 32-bit I am planning to upgrade OS to Windows 7. For this I want to upgrade the Graphics Card. Looking at motherboard configuration can anyone suggest me the...
Graphic Cards
Upgrade Graphics card?
System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3 Computer: AMD Anthlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App