Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: GPU upgrade time!

26 Dec 2013   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
GPU upgrade time!

Hi everyone .

I'm currently running the Asus DirectCU GTX460 TOP, don't get me wrong I love this card,
but it's starting to show its age when it comes to 1200p performance.
I'm currently looking into an nVidia based GPU with the main feature in mind being low noise levels,
I can't stress how important it is to me.
I was looking around and I though that if I'm already buying a new GPU I might as well look at the top tier
I was thinking about the difference between the GTX780 & GTX780Ti do you guys have any thoughts
about it (the price premium is significant)?

My main two brands I was looking for are Asus and Gigabyte as the heatsinks of those two
suppose to be the quietest.

I'm not entirely against considering an AMD by no means but might need a little bit of convincing .
Any thoughts will be appreciated .

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Dec 2013   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

if you are going AMD, i say the R9 290. i would say the 780Ti if budget allows.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti Review: GK110, Fully Unlocked - GK110, Unleashed: The Wonders Of Tight Binning
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2013   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Which CPU do you have? If you have an old weaker cpu, you won't get anything out of your super GPU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Dec 2013   #4
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hey YoYo,

Well your Asus P8Z77V-PRO mobo has a PCI-E 3.0 slot, so it will be able to take advantage of the higher end graphics card.

Your PSU is certainly powerful enough, and has the required 6+2 and 8-pin connectors for the new graphics card.

GTX780 = $540

GTX780Ti = $730

Quite frankly, unless you just really need the extra bit of performance, I don't think the rough price difference above is worth it for a 780Ti.

AMD drivers is what drove me away from them for now when I got my GTX 760 4GB.

Hope this helps some,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2013   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

OP appears to have i5 CPU so will enjoy a nice increase.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2013   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

oh dident notice the price of the 780ti. so yea i would say 780
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2013   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by I Am User View Post
Which CPU do you have? If you have an old weaker cpu, you won't get anything out of your super GPU.
I have a 3570K so it should be able to let the card spread its wings.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hey YoYo,

Well your Asus P8Z77V-PRO mobo has a PCI-E 3.0 slot, so it will be able to take advantage of the higher end graphics card.

Your PSU is certainly powerful enough, and has the required 6+2 and 8-pin connectors for the new graphics card.

GTX780 = $540

GTX780Ti = $730

Quite frankly, unless you just really need the extra bit of performance, I don't think the rough price difference above is worth it for a 780Ti.
AMD drivers is what drove me away from them for now when I got my GTX 760 4GB.

Hope this helps some,
Shawn
Thanks Shawn, the improvement is really small in comparison to the price bump I agree, it doesn't
justify the extra ~200$.

Now I have seen the latest nVidia drivers causing issues in some cases, granted less and less lately.
I've always had an nVidia GPU, what do you think about the latest R9?
AMD had the advantage of delivering a good performance per dollar ratio but now the prices have shot up
that it almost doesn't make sense not buying nVidia.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2013   #8
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

The AMD R9 series sounds promising, but still about $100 more than the GTX780.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2013   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, & Mac OS X 10.9.2
 
 

apart from the fact the reference cards sound like a vacuum cleaner! the new r9 cards sit comfortably at 90c in peak usage and dont throttle back. AMD says the cards will perform at 100% at that temp for their lifetime.. all sounds good but the fans will go mental.

you can however limit their clockspeed and thermal temp by setting a maximum fan speed percentage, which I like the sound of, but youll be throttling back on power for the sake of noise.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2013   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
The AMD R9 series sounds promising, but still about $100 more than the GTX780.
Really?
I haven't looked at the AMD prices .
In that case no real reason to but apart from maybe the bundled games.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by badger906 View Post
apart from the fact the reference cards sound like a vacuum cleaner! the new r9 cards sit comfortably at 90c in peak usage and dont throttle back. AMD says the cards will perform at 100% at that temp for their lifetime.. all sounds good but the fans will go mental.

you can however limit their clockspeed and thermal temp by setting a maximum fan speed percentage, which I like the sound of, but youll be throttling back on power for the sake of noise.
I know and as I said I like my PC to be as quiet as possible, that is just a another
down side of the AMD camp.
A WindForce or a DirectCU II should mitigate that issue though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 GPU upgrade time!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: GPU upgrade time!
Thread Forum
Upgrade time - I have... Hardware & Devices
Time For A Upgrade? Hardware & Devices
Time For A Upgrade? Gaming
Time for an upgrade I guess! Chillout Room
Time to upgrade? Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33