Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: unable to get picture on screen after putting in video card

09 Aug 2014   #11

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

Can you also get a shot of your PCI slots? Your video card looks like a 32-bit interface. Are there any other PCI cards installed? The problem with the old PCI bus is that all the cards share the bandwidth at the speed of the slowest card. The specs on your power supply would help too. It may not support the current draw of the card. If your PC still has the old 200-250W PSU, that could be a problem.

IRQ 10 is used for both the on-board video and one of the USB controllers. This probably wouldn't be a problem unless you had a mouse and keyboard on that same IRQ (USB). I don't see any other PCI devices in the BIOS that would indicate the video card is recognized. So it may be that the card is not powering up or the BIOS may not support it. That's an old PC but you might see if you can find a BIOS update. It's a long-shot but worth a look. But get the specs on the PSU for now.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Aug 2014   #12

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carwiz View Post
Does the BIOS list the IRQs for the hardware in use? Check to see if IRQ 16 is in use. If not, use that for video. That's what Windows most often assigns. There may also be an "Auto" option too. Can you post a pic of the BIOS?
Forget this earlier post. I forgot the old PCs, I think, only went to IRQ 15.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2014   #13

windows 7 home premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carwiz View Post
Can you also get a shot of your PCI slots? Your video card looks like a 32-bit interface. Are there any other PCI cards installed? The problem with the old PCI bus is that all the cards share the bandwidth at the speed of the slowest card. The specs on your power supply would help too. It may not support the current draw of the card. If your PC still has the old 200-250W PSU, that could be a problem.

IRQ 10 is used for both the on-board video and one of the USB controllers. This probably wouldn't be a problem unless you had a mouse and keyboard on that same IRQ (USB). I don't see any other PCI devices in the BIOS that would indicate the video card is recognized. So it may be that the card is not powering up or the BIOS may not support it. That's an old PC but you might see if you can find a BIOS update. It's a long-shot but worth a look. But get the specs on the PSU for now.

the barcodes are from the video card. there are no pci cards installed although I did try a Ethernet card to make sure they all work. im still looking for bios update. according to the system info the the year of its last update was 2004 lol. the onboard video was not compatible with windows 7 till I found a program called DriverMax.


Attached Thumbnails
unable to get picture on screen after putting in video card-2014-08-09-20.05.13.jpg   unable to get picture on screen after putting in video card-2014-08-09-20.05.23.jpg   unable to get picture on screen after putting in video card-2014-08-09-20.11.51.jpg   unable to get picture on screen after putting in video card-2014-08-09-20.14.08.jpg   unable to get picture on screen after putting in video card-2014-08-09-20.14.24.jpg  

unable to get picture on screen after putting in video card-2014-08-09-20.16.05.jpg   unable to get picture on screen after putting in video card-2014-08-09-20.29.43.jpg   unable to get picture on screen after putting in video card-2014-08-09-20.29.54.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Aug 2014   #14

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

What about specs on the power supply (PSU)?

Read the label and list the individual current ratings (amps) for the three voltages.
3.3v
5.0v
12v
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2014   #15

windows 7 home premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carwiz View Post
What about specs on the power supply (PSU)?

Read the label and list the individual current ratings (amps) for the three voltages.
3.3v
5.0v
12v

I wouldn't be able to see that in the system information window will I? cause the PSU don't have any writings or stickers on it its a cheap no name PSU. this whole pc was Frankensteined from old parts. motherboard if from a old Kayser-Roth work pc everything else is just scraps. even the power button is rigged, I used a 2 prong pc fan plug and the spliced power switch to this pc case. the cpu fan is held with zip strips and luck lol.

no I just looked system information don't have nothing about the PSU
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2014   #16

windows 7 home premium 32bit
 
 

If I could get the pc to boot off the usb drive then I would just put Linux on it cause its so old, and I have a 3yr old pc custom built and only lacks a video card. I use that one for gaming though. I want to use this one for media type stuff like XBMC soon to be KODI. but sense the onboard video sucks xbmc don't work
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2014   #17

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

The BIOS and Windows aren't recognizing the video card. I was trying to eliminate the PSU as the source of the problem. Just to be sure, did you have the card installed when you took the pictures of the BIOS hardware list (IRQs)?

Those old motherboards and hardware were power hungry. I would try another PSU and see if the BIOS will recognize it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2014   #18

windows 7 home premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carwiz View Post
The BIOS and Windows aren't recognizing the video card. I was trying to eliminate the PSU as the source of the problem. Just to be sure, did you have the card installed when you took the pictures of the BIOS hardware list (IRQs)?

Those old motherboards and hardware were power hungry. I would try another PSU and see if the BIOS will recognize it.

no the pictures of the bios was without the card, with the card in I cant get video from the nether the onboard or the video card, that's why I couldn't install it cause the drivers won't install unless the card is in the slot. if I could get the onboard to come on long enough then I'd be golden.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2014   #19

windows 7 home premium 32bit
 
 

also the PSU that's in the pc is the only one I have right now
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2014   #20

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

Do you get any beeps during the Power On Self Test (POST) with the video card installed? (Must have a speaker attached to the motherboard.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 unable to get picture on screen after putting in video card




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: unable to get picture on screen after putting in video card
Thread Forum
Solved putting assigned picture numbers in order General Discussion
Graphics Card Picture Quality and Video Quality Graphic Cards
Unable to install new video card driver on W7 64 bit Drivers
Solved Unable to update my ATI Video Card Driver Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33