Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual Monitor woes in W7 Media Centre...


06 Nov 2009   #11

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Hitting the Windows Key helps me move the trapped cursor, however Alt Tab doesn't.
I got WMC on 2nd monitor. Alt+tab together allows me to use my other monitor like now while WMC is maximized playing a video.

I can't seem to figure where the design flaw is.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Nov 2009   #12

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
I can't seem to figure where the design flaw is.
Perhaps it could be explained by the lack of support for the 16:10 format?

Maybe it's the fact the cursor becomes invisible and locked into the maximised Media Centre screen (when Windows 7 professes to support HD4850 dual output video cards...)

Both these issues are annoying, but the second one where the cursor becomes locked into a maximised screen and hidden is clearly a fairly significant dysfunctionality... just try to reach the tiny minimize buttons blindfold and you'd soon appreciate there is a lot of space to lose your cursor in on a 1680 x 1050 desktop!

I've ordered an S-Video cable, hopefully when DVI only runs one screen there will be no more cursor losses - and I will be able to control MC functions by remote control, however that means I lose the ability to have my desktop shown on both monitors (if I also leave a DVI cable connected then things like 'snap' won't work either...)

Microsoft need to sort out this issue 'ŕ priorité...'
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #13

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
I can't seem to figure where the design flaw is.
Perhaps it could be explained by the lack of support for the 16:10 format?
I'm using a 16:10 here. Seems supported to me rather well. I especially like how it can change zoom levels all with my remote, which is excellent for 16:9 content.


Maybe I'm misunderstanding this part (likely) - but the cursor is supposed to disappear. Others and I explained how to unlock it - alt and tab at same time. Move mouse anywhere, WMC still full screen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Nov 2009   #14

Windows 7 RTM 64bit
 
 

I have a dell 24" 16:10 aspect ratio and have no problems playing movie,tv the program itself in full screen
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #15

 

Doh, I will just reiterate then...

1) Windows Media Centre *only* outputs 4:3 or 16:9 (there is *NO* setting to get 16:10 within it's parametres) yet my monitor is 16:10, therefore the only way I can get the screen filled completely with whatever content I choose to play or watch is to use the full screen function.

2) When using full screen the cursor become locked into the Media Centre display and vanishes. Alt + Tab do *NOT* alter this as has been said to have worked for others, I am forced to close the full screen by blindly moving the cursor around until I get the right control for this to light up, and then run the Media Centre unmaximised at 16:9 ratio and thus have to then put up with borders around the media window.

3) Each screen is presently connected to one of the dual DVi ports on a Palit Sonic Radeon HD4850.

This is why I've concluded the only way it'll work is to connect my second monitor to the S-Video port on my PC, reset the MC input and monitor input selectors to S-Video... and control it uniquely by using a remote control.

In conclusion this means the second monitor is only any good for TV/PVR as I'm going to be unable to extend my desktop onto it whenever I'm not using Media Centre.

Therefore I consider Windows 7 to be dysfunctional. Dual-monitor support is a joke, because of the behaviour of the cursor in Media Centre, and because of the fact Media Centre does not allow unmaximised windows at 16:10, even when the correct graphics and display drivers are onboard.

I hope that explains the issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #16

7600.20510 x86
 
 

My WMC goes perfect full screen in 16:10. When I play something that is 16:10 content, not one pixel is black.

Sounds like you are 1 in a large group that can't get this to function as you expect. So the world should bend over backwards for you and your conditions?

Less than likely. Sounds like Apple needs another customer.

Or, would you like to trade rigs so you can have WMC working like you want?

...I guess the thing that bothers me most with this is you assuming that you know better how it should be than the brilliant engineers that designed it.

Edit - I really just thought of something and wanted to mention it because I'm a very fair-minded person. Perhaps it is THE difference although I don't suspect so. I am running an updated version of WMC because I installed Windows6.1-KB974817-x86.msu.

Try to locate that and maybe your WMC will function similar to mine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #17

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
My WMC goes perfect full screen in 16:10. When I play something that is 16:10 content, not one pixel is black. <snip>
You're reading between the lines, and not what I've specifically said. I've not mentioned black pixellation... I've not alleged full screen doesn't display right, I'm grumbling solely about the cursor, and the fact that MC does not offer any output ratio settings except 16:9 or 4:3.

Can you imagine how annoying it is to run a 16:9 display window in a 16:10 monitor? And solely because in full screen mode the cursor has a mind of its own?

If you don't think my situation matches yours then it doesn't make me wrong and you right - I mean you're coming over as arrogant and sarcastic quite clearly just because you don't agree... sheesh... I have nothing else to add, but your reply doesn't help and your condescending advices don't address the issues I've highlighted...

Pity you can't de-rep people for such unhelpfulness
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #18

7600.20510 x86
 
 

I don't really mean to come across as you say. You say you can't do something and I'm saying I can do the very same thing. I don't think I'm any special and I don't think there's anything wrong with your hardware, so I place an "argument" to try to get you to see. The "argument" is not a nasty one; more like a debate on it.

What it comes down to is that I really enjoy video/audio and want this to work for you as you want. It is possible. I miss stuff in peoples' writing all the time. So if you are at all like I can be at times, reread some of the thread and maybe you'll get it to work as you're wanting.

Because I can type here to you on one monitor while WMC is playing full screen on the other. And I can switch apps (FF + WMC) between monitors too and it does the same. In my specs, you can see I have both a 16:10 monitor and a 5:4 one.

Also, in WMC there are 4 levels/types of zoom that can be used.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #19

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I have a four monitor setup and have the same issue as many other WMC users, that being that in full scrren the cursor becomes looked inside the WMC window/monitor and also becomes invisible at the same time. Yes for me also hitting ALT + TAB is a solution. But the new Sky Player addon is able to cope flawlessly with WMC full screen why can not MS get their act together and resolve an issue I first notice when using Vista. There were forum entries about the issue from the begining of Vista's short lived life, so why have MS failed to achieve something Sky Player as an addon seem to be able to prove can be done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #20

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Hey.

My best guess is that most users actually want the cursor locked into WMC.

After all, the WMC is meant to be used mostly when not sitting at the PC, with a remote.

That's it's whole purpose to exist in the first place.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dual Monitor woes in W7 Media Centre...




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Dual Monitor woes in W7 Media Centre...
Thread Forum
Call Centre woes :( Chillout Room
Bad picture quality via Media Centre remote media play Media Center
Solved Dual Monitor Woes Graphic Cards
Monitor Woes General Discussion
Why wont the media player or the media centre play MP4's? Media Center
Windows Media Player Dual Monitor Music, Pictures & Video
Media Centre Woes Media Center

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33