Need a smart differential on this one...
I just built a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate (RTM x64) and have the system running great with one ATI 5970 video card. Upon adding a second card (in the correct x16 slot per my MB manual), rebooting shows the "starting windows" screen, proceeds past this to a black screen with a movable mouse cursor (occasionally I get an hour glass for a moment and then back to cursor).
Here's what I've tried to troubleshoot:
- Combed through the Seven Forums and couldn't find a similar issue
- Ensured BIOS was latest and chipset drivers
were installed (MB = MSI x58 Eclipse SLI)
- Tried with and without the Crossfire interconnect
- Tried the new ATI hotfix drivers
- Tried Win 7 Startup Repair - no luck
- Let the machine sit overnight to see if it would eventually come up to Windows - no luck
- Tried safe mode and the machine displayed same behavior
- Removed original card to make sure card was seated in the slot correctly and power was properly connected (I have a 1KW power supply). Removing the original card, the machine booted fine on card #2.
- Removed all other cards (only other was an XiFi card) - and with two cards in, same behavior
- With one card in, uninstalled the ATI drivers, rebooted into Safe Mode and ran Guru 3D Driver
Sweeper (in Admin mode) and removed any other residual driver stuff. Rebooted to ensure it was all gone (it was), and inserted card #2, same behavior
I can get it to boot to DOS boot and it passes BIOS fine - so I think it's a Windows issue or a hardware resources issue - just can't tell what it is hanging on...
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.