Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HD Monitor unable to display resolution using DVI adapt


06 Feb 2010   #1

Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit Professional
 
 
HD Monitor unable to display resolution using DVI adapt

I just received my new PC and hooked it up only to find my HD monitor wouldn't display the 1920 X 1080 HD desk top. After speaking with many sales associates, I had my PC custom. I have Windows 7 Professional 64. ATI Radeon HD 4850 and HP 2159m HD monitor. The problem is, when I went to hook up the monitor, the PC didn't have an HDMI slot, so I had to use the adapter that HP sent me with the PC. All was fine till it configured my desktop. My icons are way off the screen, top, bottom and on the left. I can't even see my start menu. After 5 hours with HP tech support, I was told to contact ATI. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? I just want to be able to use what I paid for. If I use the monitor with the dvi cable only it works; however the picture is trashy and not as clear.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Feb 2010   #2

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Since you have already spent 5 hours with tech support, it would be good to give an outline of what steps that you have already taken (to the extent that memory permits), to keep from covering old ground.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2010   #3

Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Since you have already spent 5 hours with tech support, it would be good to give an outline of what steps that you have already taken (to the extent that memory permits), to keep from covering old ground.

Sorry. Well the agent did remote access to make sure all my settings were on target. Under display all the settings are at the recommended points. i.e. 1920 X 1080, 60, and landscape. On the drop down menu for the resolution the last option is the 1920 X 1080. (He was thinking changing it just a tad). He then spoke with a manager who thought he heard of this before and had me go into the ATI Catalyst Control Center. The center options were different on my version than the version he was looking at on his computer, so after a time he was unable to help me. He was trying to enable a custom config. in order to force the resolution to a custom number. We had no luck, because my menu again only had the 1920 X 1080 as the last option. Then I went to ATI and AMD and it does state that this graphic card is compatible to HD/HDMI, so we wondered why there is no HDMI plug. The agent told me it was because it is going through the DVI cable--and I should just get a graphic card with an HDMI slot. I was told I had that when I bought it.

Thank You
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Feb 2010   #4

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

First off, it doesn't require an HDMI connection to the monitor, unless that is all that it has. Do you have options for connections on the monitor? Check to see if there is a monitor driver available for download, this will sometimes effect the resolutions available in Windows.

As far as the resolution goes, you have me confused, because at one point you say that you can't set it at 1920x1080, yet you now say that it is an option. First or last option shouldn't make any difference if you can select it. If this remains a problem, then you are going to have to clarify what the problem is clearly.

EDIT: DVI is = to HDMI, except that it doesn't carry sound (I think that is even possible with a registry tweak, but am not clear on it). If your monitor doesn't have speakers, then it really doesn't matter.

EDIT: Also check to see that the monitor is set for the proper connection, display type and DDC/CI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #5

Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
First off, it doesn't require an HDMI connection to the monitor, unless that is all that it has. Do you have options for connections on the monitor? Check to see if there is a monitor driver available for download, this will sometimes effect the resolutions available in Windows.

As far as the resolution goes, you have me confused, because at one point you say that you can't set it at 1920x1080, yet you now say that it is an option. First or last option shouldn't make any difference if you can select it. If this remains a problem, then you are going to have to clarify what the problem is clearly.

EDIT: DVI is = to HDMI, except that it doesn't carry sound (I think that is even possible with a registry tweak, but am not clear on it). If your monitor doesn't have speakers, then it really doesn't matter.

EDIT: Also check to see that the monitor is set for the proper connection, display type and DDC/CI.

Hello,

Yes the computer came with a DVI cable and VGA cable with adapters for VGA and HDMI. When I plug it in with the DVI cable I am able to use the 1920 X 1080 resolution; however, the picture is quite small and the lettering is fuzzy. When I plug it in with the HDMI cable using the adapter, the 1920 X 1080 resolution is not supported. My icons and start menu are way off the screen and unseen. I was told the graphic card would be supported and it says so on the web site. I really don't know how to check and see if the monitor is set for the proper connection, display type and DDC/CI. I hope this is a better explaination, this is really frustrating, after the cash I put into the system.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #6

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

It probably varies with brand and type, but on my monitor there is a button at the bottom of the screen titled "menu", when that is selected, and OSD appears which the options can be selected with another button alongside the menu button with left and right arrows. If you have something like this, just browse through the options and see what is available. Be sure to install the monitor's driver, if there is one.

EDIT: I can't connect my monitor via a DVI to HDMI cable, so you get something more than I do, because on mine it just produces a black screen. I was told by Acer support that I had to use a regular DVI cable. This still doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm just repeating what I was told.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #7

Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
First off, it doesn't require an HDMI connection to the monitor, unless that is all that it has. Do you have options for connections on the monitor? Check to see if there is a monitor driver available for download, this will sometimes effect the resolutions available in Windows.

As far as the resolution goes, you have me confused, because at one point you say that you can't set it at 1920x1080, yet you now say that it is an option. First or last option shouldn't make any difference if you can select it. If this remains a problem, then you are going to have to clarify what the problem is clearly.

EDIT: DVI is = to HDMI, except that it doesn't carry sound (I think that is even possible with a registry tweak, but am not clear on it). If your monitor doesn't have speakers, then it really doesn't matter.

EDIT: Also check to see that the monitor is set for the proper connection, display type and DDC/CI.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
It probably varies with brand and type, but on my monitor there is a button at the bottom of the screen titled "menu", when that is selected, and OSD appears which the options can be selected with another button alongside the menu button with left and right arrows. If you have something like this, just browse through the options and see what is available. Be sure to install the monitor's driver, if there is one.

EDIT: I can't connect my monitor via a DVI to HDMI cable, so you get something more than I do, because on mine it just produces a black screen. I was told by Acer support that I had to use a regular DVI cable. This still doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm just repeating what I was told.
I do have that option. So I need to be on the 1920 X 1080 resolution, and using the OSD option, just try and play with it to see if it fixes? I don't know what to put it on. Also, I tried to search for an undate, but the web site couldn't find one.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #8

Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by libralady View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
First off, it doesn't require an HDMI connection to the monitor, unless that is all that it has. Do you have options for connections on the monitor? Check to see if there is a monitor driver available for download, this will sometimes effect the resolutions available in Windows.

As far as the resolution goes, you have me confused, because at one point you say that you can't set it at 1920x1080, yet you now say that it is an option. First or last option shouldn't make any difference if you can select it. If this remains a problem, then you are going to have to clarify what the problem is clearly.

EDIT: DVI is = to HDMI, except that it doesn't carry sound (I think that is even possible with a registry tweak, but am not clear on it). If your monitor doesn't have speakers, then it really doesn't matter.

EDIT: Also check to see that the monitor is set for the proper connection, display type and DDC/CI.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
It probably varies with brand and type, but on my monitor there is a button at the bottom of the screen titled "menu", when that is selected, and OSD appears which the options can be selected with another button alongside the menu button with left and right arrows. If you have something like this, just browse through the options and see what is available. Be sure to install the monitor's driver, if there is one.

EDIT: I can't connect my monitor via a DVI to HDMI cable, so you get something more than I do, because on mine it just produces a black screen. I was told by Acer support that I had to use a regular DVI cable. This still doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm just repeating what I was told.
I do have that option. So I need to be on the 1920 X 1080 resolution, and using the OSD option, just try and play with it to see if it fixes? I don't know what to put it on. Also, I tried to search for an undate, but the web site couldn't find one.

Thanks

Just an update on this issue. I called ATI and in just a few simple steps and 4 minuets later my issue was solved. If anyone needs further help on this topic, I may be able to assist, through my experience with support.

Thanks To Everyone
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #9

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

It would be good if you outlined the solution now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2010   #10

Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by libralady View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
First off, it doesn't require an HDMI connection to the monitor, unless that is all that it has. Do you have options for connections on the monitor? Check to see if there is a monitor driver available for download, this will sometimes effect the resolutions available in Windows.

As far as the resolution goes, you have me confused, because at one point you say that you can't set it at 1920x1080, yet you now say that it is an option. First or last option shouldn't make any difference if you can select it. If this remains a problem, then you are going to have to clarify what the problem is clearly.

EDIT: DVI is = to HDMI, except that it doesn't carry sound (I think that is even possible with a registry tweak, but am not clear on it). If your monitor doesn't have speakers, then it really doesn't matter.

EDIT: Also check to see that the monitor is set for the proper connection, display type and DDC/CI.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
It probably varies with brand and type, but on my monitor there is a button at the bottom of the screen titled "menu", when that is selected, and OSD appears which the options can be selected with another button alongside the menu button with left and right arrows. If you have something like this, just browse through the options and see what is available. Be sure to install the monitor's driver, if there is one.

EDIT: I can't connect my monitor via a DVI to HDMI cable, so you get something more than I do, because on mine it just produces a black screen. I was told by Acer support that I had to use a regular DVI cable. This still doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm just repeating what I was told.
I do have that option. So I need to be on the 1920 X 1080 resolution, and using the OSD option, just try and play with it to see if it fixes? I don't know what to put it on. Also, I tried to search for an undate, but the web site couldn't find one.

Thanks
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
It would be good if you outlined the solution now.

Hi, These are the steps I took to solve this issue: Right click the desk top, choose the Catalyst Control Center. At the top left corner of this screen click the Graphics tab, then from the menu on the right, go to DeskTop and Displays then click Configure. Among the top tabs, choose Scaling Options. Here you should see the monitor with a slide bar above it. I just moved it until my icons fit to the desk top. Then Apply and OK.

This worked with the HP 2159m monitor and the ATI Radeon HD 4850 Graphic Card. OS Windows 7 Professional.

Hope I explained it well enough and that it works for others, it was so frustrating dealing with tech agents that didn't really quite know how to solve the problem.

Thank You
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HD Monitor unable to display resolution using DVI adapt




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33