Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Graphics Card Upgrade

18 Feb 2010   #1
MisterActorMan

 
Graphics Card Upgrade

Hi all

I've just decided to upgrade my desktop, which has 64bit capability/hardware, to win7 64 bit. It's part of me investing a small amount of cash in my desktop to make it really strong for another year or so before I retire it (hand it over to my Mom, haha) and upgrade to a strong laptop.

My question is: I have an NVidea 64bit board and an ASUS cpu--should I get an NVidea graphics card, or another brand will be just as good? Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2010   #2
Coolness

Win 7 pro 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MisterActorMan View Post
Hi all

I've just decided to upgrade my desktop, which has 64bit capability/hardware, to win7 64 bit. It's part of me investing a small amount of cash in my desktop to make it really strong for another year or so before I retire it (hand it over to my Mom, haha) and upgrade to a strong laptop.

My question is: I have an NVidea 64bit board and an ASUS cpu--should I get an NVidea graphics card, or another brand will be just as good? Thanks.
Well, first off, there are only two companies that make CPU's, thats AMD and Intel. You probably have a Asus motherboard. Now, for you're question, you need to know if you have a 16x PCI-e port in your motherboard for a card, and, you need to tell us what you wanna do with the card.

If you play games, you need a good one. For HD video, it can be not that good, and for just browsing you dont really need one. If you wanna upgrade just for the show, go ahead, even if it wont do anything crucial.

Anyways, There are two companies that design Grahpics cards, thats Nvidia and ATI. These day's ATI has the most powerful cards, but for the more normal cards, either company is cool.
Hope this helps, Coolnes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2010   #3
MisterActorMan

 

Howdy howdy Coolness, thanks for your time.

So, I'm currently using an ATI Sapphire X1550 (256mb) DDR up to 800mhz, 16x PCI Express slot.

I do use an AMD Athlon CPU, but my comp device mgr. says the mboard is an NVidea GeForce board...or am I mistaken (ie, that's not possible and I'm reading the wrong thing))?

Anyway, I was looking into something similar to what you have, a GeForce 9000 series, hopefully with at least 512mb.

I intend to be doing video editing and gaming.

Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2010   #4
Coolness

Win 7 pro 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MisterActorMan View Post
Howdy howdy Coolness, thanks for your time.

So, I'm currently using an ATI Sapphire X1550 (256mb) DDR up to 800mhz, 16x PCI Express slot.

I do use an AMD Athlon CPU, but my comp device mgr. says the mboard is an NVidea GeForce board...or am I mistaken (ie, that's not possible and I'm reading the wrong thing))?

Anyway, I was looking into something similar to what you have, a GeForce 9000 series, hopefully with at least 512mb.

I intend to be doing video editing and gaming.

Thanks!
If you want to play games with medium gprahics settings, the 9800 could be for you. Its pretty neat. You probably have a Nvidia chipset. you can read about it here
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2010   #5
BugMeister

64-Bit W7 Ult_sp1
 
 

install an ati HD4890 - they're excellent value for money..
- make sure that the PSU can handle the load..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2010   #6
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

I would give away or junk the system - DDR RAM is not good enough games, your CPU is heavily outdated, and the chipset is average.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2010   #7
MisterActorMan

 

I plan on turning it over to my mom within a year, so I'm looking for sufficient upgrades to keep it strong through that time frame. Eventaully I'll upgrade to a ridonkulously-gaming-capable laptop (I suspect one much like yours).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2010   #8
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Something like one of these,

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

would be a nice jump over what you have, and the stock power supply in that Compaq should be OK with it.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BugMeister View Post
install an ati HD4890 - they're excellent value for money..
- make sure that the PSU can handle the load..
Nice idea, but the PSU won't handle the card and the CPU isn't up to feeding a card like that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #9
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MisterActorMan View Post
I plan on turning it over to my mom within a year, so I'm looking for sufficient upgrades to keep it strong through that time frame. Eventaully I'll upgrade to a ridonkulously-gaming-capable laptop (I suspect one much like yours).
See if the motherboard manufacturer will support an Athlon X2 and upgrade that if possible along with the mentioned 4670 or a 5450 - both cards are not for high-resolution gaming. As for the laptop in my specs, it isn't built for games; no laptops are. I'd build a gaming desktop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2010   #10
MisterActorMan

 

I think with enough money you can build a laptop (or anything) to do just about whatever you'd like

I'll look into the CPU upgrade. I was considering a new PSu but again would rather not spend a lot of money on the desktop since it will be regulated to *moderate* gaming, media management, and then whatever my mom needs it for (browsing; facepalm). The idea is to give myself an enjoyable PC for when I need it--about another year, and whenever I'm at my mom's in the future.

Thanks SO much for the NewEgg link and suggestion. That is pretty much EXACTLY what I had in mind. It's even under 100. I really, really appreciate it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Graphics Card Upgrade





Please note  Please note
        When your issue is fixed please remember to thank those that helped you and mark the thread as solved.
Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can I upgrade my graphics card..?
Just took a look inside my PC and the HDMI/VGA port is on the motherboard.. Was wondering if its possible to upgrade it to something with 2 HDMI + VGA? PC: Acer Aspire-X1301 Board layout: HERE On board #16 & #17 16 - PCI Express x16 slot 17 - PCI Express x1 slot
Graphic Cards
Which graphics card can I upgrade to?
Hi, would like to know, what are my options, with regards to low-end graphics card? I currently have "Mobile Intel 4 series express chip" Integrated graphics, and a 305W PSU. Just wanted a budget graphics card, for running emulators and light end gaming. Need exact model numbers as I really...
Graphic Cards
graphics card upgrade
hi all i currently have a nvidia 8600 gts 256mb graphics card and i want to upgrade since i bought crysis 2 an this card is not runing crysis 2 properly.. too slow fan noise goes loud etc.. so what is the best card i could get between 100-150 price range the motherboard is asus-p5n-e sli...
Graphic Cards
Want to upgrade Graphics card.
Ok i just got enough money to finally upgrade my graphics card but i am worried about the installation. Is there anything special i have to do once i physically change the old one out with the new one? or can i just change it and all the drivers will be installed and stuff.
Graphic Cards
Upgrade Graphics Card
My current desktop configuration: Intel P4 2.66 GHz RAM: 1 GB (will upgrade to 2GB) Motherboard: MSI PM8PM L Current OS: Win XP 32-bit I am planning to upgrade OS to Windows 7. For this I want to upgrade the Graphics Card. Looking at motherboard configuration can anyone suggest me the...
Graphic Cards
Upgrade Graphics card?
System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3 Computer: AMD Anthlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App