Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New external HDD won't show in "Computer'


01 Sep 2010   #1

Windows 8 Pro
 
 
New external HDD won't show in "Computer'

Today I received a new Transcend 500 gig portable HDD. When plugged in Win quickly recognizes it and shows that it is ready. I cannot get it to appear in "Computer" and it can't be found with my file manager on my Win Home Prem x86 HP desktop. It does appear as a "StoreJet Transcend USB device" in Devices and Printers which shows it as working properly. I checked Device Manager and found no conflicts in USB ports. It appears under Disk Drives in Device Manager. I then plugged it into my Win 7 Home Prem 64 HP laptop and it instantly was recognized and shows up in both Computer and Devices and Printers and is accessible. Any suggestions how I might get it to appear and be recognized in Computer so that I can access and use it? (It has been tried in 4 different USB ports to no avail. Each of those work OK with other devices)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Sep 2010   #2

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Does it show up in Disk Management :

Start Computer Management Disk Management ??


Attached Thumbnails
New external HDD won't show in "Computer'-disk_mgmt_aug_2010.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2010   #3

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Not as Transcend Store Jet. Here is a screenshot of it. I suspect that Disk 1 could be it as the size is about right. I have 6 'resident' partitions as shown. Disk 1 is not one of them, of course.

And while I have your expertise handy, the external is formatted as FAT 32. Should I reformat it to NTSF?

Thanks for your interest and inpuit.


Attached Thumbnails
New external HDD won't show in "Computer'-screen-shot-comp-mgmt.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Sep 2010   #4

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Can you right click on the 465.76gb section & explore it ? Did you place anything on it when you had it connected to the other computer ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2010   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roving View Post
Not as Transcend Store Jet. Here is a screenshot of it. I suspect that Disk 1 could be it as the size is about right. I have 6 'resident' partitions as shown. Disk 1 is not one of them, of course.

And while I have your expertise handy, the external is formatted as FAT 32. Should I reformat it to NTSF?

Thanks for your interest and inpuit.
How about if you give it a drive letter,

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2010   #6

 
 

there is an option to hide empty drives, maybe you have that selected?


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2010   #7
MK2

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roving View Post
Not as Transcend Store Jet. Here is a screenshot of it. I suspect that Disk 1 could be it as the size is about right. I have 6 'resident' partitions as shown. Disk 1 is not one of them, of course.

And while I have your expertise handy, the external is formatted as FAT 32. Should I reformat it to NTSF?

Thanks for your interest and inpuit.
How about if you give it a drive letter,

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html
I agree with derekimo try to give it a drive letter, if the drive is empty you could format it to NTFS, I think it will receive a drive letter automatically then.

MK2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2010   #8

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Thanks to all that helped!! The problem was resolved and the solution was to change and assign a Drive letter to it. It was done by right clicking the name, Disk 1, and then it automatically assigned a Drive letter to it. All OK after that. Tracking it via Computer Management/Disk Management got me to the place to make the change.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2010   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roving View Post
Thanks to all that helped!! The problem was resolved and the solution was to change and assign a Drive letter to it. It was done by right clicking the name, Disk 1, and then it automatically assigned a Drive letter to it. All OK after that. Tracking it via Computer Management/Disk Management got me to the place to make the change.
Thanks for posting back with your solution, glad we could help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2010   #10

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roving View Post
Thanks to all that helped!! The problem was resolved and the solution was to change and assign a Drive letter to it. It was done by right clicking the name, Disk 1, and then it automatically assigned a Drive letter to it. All OK after that. Tracking it via Computer Management/Disk Management got me to the place to make the change.
Good work. Another successful solution
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New external HDD won't show in "Computer'




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33