My touchpad stopped working after I had installed a usb mouse (and an IR remote).
I searched numerous forums and tried everything out there with no success, including the following:
- tried the function key to turn touchpad on/off (the most obvious source of the problem)
- tried reinstalling driver for touchpad from the manufacturer web site
- removed the usb mouse and rebooted
- went to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Mouse to enable touchpad - touchpad was no longer even listed
- There were no problems showing up in the Device Manager
This all became a bit frustrating because I would have to reconnect the usb mouse to do any maneuvering around the system (since the touchpad was not working) to try something else.
I then tried the following: removed the usb mouse, turned off computer (used ctrl/alt/del, then tabbed to the shut down button), turned computer back on. The touchpad still did not work. Without doing anything else, and with the usb mouse still not connected, I then turned the computer back off, then on a second time
- and the touchpad became functional. I plugged the usb mouse back in and both worked again at the same time. In the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Mouse - both the touchpad and mouse were now recognized.
Hope this helps out others with the same problem (this seems to be a fairly common problem based on the number of postings around the web)