Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: dvd rom on windows

11 Sep 2010   #1

windows 7 ( ultimate) /xp (home)
 
 
dvd rom on windows

hi
i have a lg dvd rom and when i put a disc in it the dvd rom it says there is no disc inside
when i had xp the dvd rom was picked up as removeble drive
i have a new motherboard
and a fresh instaal of windows 7

please help
thanks
saakeman

[link removed by admin]

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Sep 2010   #2

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Is it a SATA or IDE DVD drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2010   #3

windows 7 ( ultimate) /xp (home)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Is it a SATA or IDE DVD drive.
its sata and i updated the drivers to the latest that there is
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Sep 2010   #4

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

On a couple of different desktops, I have had to disconnect the power & data cables of the DVD ( with the computer turned off of course) Power ON the computer with NO CD or DVD drives connected, till it loads everything to the main desktop screen. Then power OFF & reconnect cables. Then power ON again making sure you are connected to the internet.
Windows 7 usually finds & installs the DVD drive automatically.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2010   #5

windows 7 ( ultimate) /xp (home)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
On a couple of different desktops, I have had to disconnect the power & data cables of the DVD ( with the computer turned off of course) Power ON the computer with NO CD or DVD drives connected, till it loads everything to the main desktop screen. Then power OFF & reconnect cables. Then power ON again making sure you are connected to the internet.
Windows 7 usually finds & installs the DVD drive automatically.

wont that damage the motherboard to unplug while the pc on ???
and i dont want to take risks , as this si realy an old dvd rom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #6

Vista Ultimate 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by saakeman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
On a couple of different desktops, I have had to disconnect the power & data cables of the DVD ( with the computer turned off of course) Power ON the computer with NO CD or DVD drives connected, till it loads everything to the main desktop screen. Then power OFF & reconnect cables. Then power ON again making sure you are connected to the internet.
Windows 7 usually finds & installs the DVD drive automatically.

wont that damage the motherboard to unplug while the pc on ???
and i dont want to take risks , as this si realy an old dvd rom
He said with the power off, anyway my dvd drives don't seem to respond and autoplay doesn't work, I open up computer and it keeps asking for a disk and its already in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

There are no drivers for an optical drive, so whatever you installed may be causing the issues. Some motherboards, with proper drivers, will see all SATA devices as removable drives. All you need are the chipset drivers for your motherboard. If it is an old drive, it is possible that the drive just crapped out during the hardware swap. Try it in another computer to be sure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2010   #8

WIN7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by saakeman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
On a couple of different desktops, I have had to disconnect the power & data cables of the DVD ( with the computer turned off of course) Power ON the computer with NO CD or DVD drives connected, till it loads everything to the main desktop screen. Then power OFF & reconnect cables. Then power ON again making sure you are connected to the internet.
Windows 7 usually finds & installs the DVD drive automatically.

wont that damage the motherboard to unplug while the pc on ???
and i dont want to take risks , as this is really an old dvd rom
You just explained your own problem - coz DVD is old the laser simply can't read the type of format that microsoft have published the Windows 7 DVD disk as.
Think it is dual layer -R

If you are very lucky - there might be a firmware update which will enable your DVD to read it.
What make/exact model is the DVD player?

Otherwise trip to a computer shop for a new one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2010   #9

Vista Ultimate 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote:
dvd drives don't seem to respond and autoplay doesn't work, I open up computer and it keeps asking for a disk and its already in.
This from my last post, I followed Docbrown's idea and my writer responded, but the rom drive didn't, no auto play or recognition of a disk, looks like a dud, mind you it an old one from cannibalising.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2010   #10

windows 7 ( ultimate) /xp (home)
 
 

hi all
stil no luck , but removed it and replaced it with another one and it runs great

thanks for all your posts
better luck next time

thanks
saakeman
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 dvd rom on windows





Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33