|24 Oct 2010||#1|
| || |
Extend a partition ?
I want to extend a partition on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit system.
The HDD is at 150Gb. I have it at 2 partitions at the present.
I shrinked the second partition with 10Gb.
How do I extend the first partition C:\ with the 10G's from the second partition D:\
I have attched a view dump from the manage.
|My System Specs|
|24 Oct 2010||#3|
| || |
Using Partition Wizard on the fly doesn't always work -- sometimes you'll get a message - insufficient memory -- and in any case if it DOES get hosed up you've lost data so ALWAYS backup FIRST -- and this is my EASY method.
EASY way but you need an external device to save data to or a second internal HDD.
1) create bootable media of "imaging backup software" I use Acronis
2) create bootable media of GPARTED or FREE PARTITION WIZARD -- your choicef Partition wizard -- you can download the Partition wizard .iso file and even make a bootable USB stick of it if you prefer.
3) backup entire disk as an image using something like acronis to an external HDD - use high compression.
4) boot GPARTED / Free partion wizard to re-partition your disk with the sizes you want.
5) boot the backup software media you made in step 1
6) restore partition images you made in step 3 but use the new sizes.
Ensure the C partition is set to ACTIVE unless you have the small system partition of 100MB which should be set to active -- if this partition exists then in step 4 you need to make 3 partitions.
7) boot new system -- if it DOES fail -- unlikely but it IS possible just boot the Windows 7 recovery disk and it will fix any boot problems -- you migght have to re-boot 2 or 3 times.
I've done this LOADS of times without fail.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Extend a partition ?|
|How do I extend my partition In||General Discussion|
|can't extend partition d||General Discussion|
|How do I extend my HD partition using redunded 27gb partition||Hardware & Devices|
|Unable to extend C: partition||Hardware & Devices|
|Why i cant extend C partition??||Performance & Maintenance|
|Extend a partition||Software|
|Cannot Extend C: Partition||General Discussion|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.