Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Belkin N1 Vision Router in endless reboot-loop

07 Nov 2010   #1
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
Belkin N1 Vision Router in endless reboot-loop

OK geeks, I have not a clue what's happening, so please any ideas are welcome.

I have Belkin N1 Vision router, about one year old. I have been extremely satisfied.

Second time now, the router suddenly rebooted, and stayed in loop trying to reboot again and again. It's not yet 7 AM here, Angie sleeps and I am currently not able to get out of the bed without help, so I could only watch how the router (located under the bedroom TV) tried to boot and reboot and reboot...

I counted about 20 reboot tries, then it suddenly booted. The text on router's LCD display is so small I couldn't see it, but when I finally could use the router's web interface to check it, the page opened in first use wizard, so it had restored itself to factory settings.

No problem, I thought, for I'm paranoid enough to keep a backup copy of router's configuration file on my computer. I used the web interface to restore settings and configuration, which of course caused router to reboot. And same circus again, now I counted 18 reboots before it finally really booted.

This time, I configured it manually (I also keep ISP's user credentials on a file on every computer I have, in a Bitlocker protected partition) and am now back online.

As I told, this was second time now. I don't remember exactly when this happened first time, it was before my strokes some time last summer, but this video I found from my computer has a date stamp of 28th of June. Video shows how router is trying to reboot, but when progress bar reaches a certain point, it reboots again.



Time to buy a new Belkin?

Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Nov 2010   #2
mckillwashere

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

Avoid Belkin....
I personally went through two Belkin routers had horrible reception. So I bought an expensive Belkin exact same issues. Took that one back and bout a Linksys and no more random signal loss and drops.
Granted the one you have is much nicer than Belkin 4-5 Years ago, but I still see bad performance from most of my customers that use Belkin.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #3
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Did you try updating the router firmware?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Nov 2010   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
OK geeks, I have not a clue what's happening, so please any ideas are welcome.

I have Belkin N1 Vision router, about one year old. I have been extremely satisfied.

Second time now, the router suddenly rebooted, and stayed in loop trying to reboot again and again. It's not yet 7 AM here, Angie sleeps and I am currently not able to get out of the bed without help, so I could only watch how the router (located under the bedroom TV) tried to boot and reboot and reboot...

I counted about 20 reboot tries, then it suddenly booted. The text on router's LCD display is so small I couldn't see it, but when I finally could use the router's web interface to check it, the page opened in first use wizard, so it had restored itself to factory settings.

No problem, I thought, for I'm paranoid enough to keep a backup copy of router's configuration file on my computer. I used the web interface to restore settings and configuration, which of course caused router to reboot. And same circus again, now I counted 18 reboots before it finally really booted.

This time, I configured it manually (I also keep ISP's user credentials on a file on every computer I have, in a Bitlocker protected partition) and am now back online.

As I told, this was second time now. I don't remember exactly when this happened first time, it was before my strokes some time last summer, but this video I found from my computer has a date stamp of 28th of June. Video shows how router is trying to reboot, but when progress bar reaches a certain point, it reboots again.



Time to buy a new Belkin?

Kari

Kari whats the firmware version on it? Is there an update?

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #5
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Kari, that could be either firmware or hardware related. The spontaneous boot sounds like hardware, but the repeated attempt sounds like software. Since your PC is your gateway at present, having another router at least ready would seem a prudent choice. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #6
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mckillwashere View Post
Avoid Belkin....
I personally went through two Belkin routers had horrible reception. So I bought an expensive Belkin exact same issues. Took that one back and bout a Linksys and no more random signal loss and drops.
Granted the one you have is much nicer than Belkin 4-5 Years ago, but I still see bad performance from most of my customers that use Belkin.
This just proves that we all have our opinions and favourite manufacturers. You didn't like reception, for me an extra good reception is one reason why I like Belkins. This is my second N1 Vision, never had any problems. I posted this over a year ago:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Hi twinmc. If you are looking something really good, I recommend Belkin Wireless N+ USB Adapter (image 1). It has a wide range, been working really good for me.

I use it when not at home or office, my laptop has built in wifi so I do not need it at home. But when on the road and wifi signal in hotels and airports is weak, I'll use Belkin USB adapter and normally get signal very strong.

Together with Belkin N1 Vision router (image 2) it makes a powerful combination. My local pub is about 200 metres ( 1/8th of a mile) from my home and they have no wifi. So when I take my laptop with me to the pub and connect Belkin USB adapter, it finds my home network (above mentioned Belkin router) and can connect to the internet over my own network.

Been using Belkin products now a few years, never had anything negative to say.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #7
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Firmware is up to date (F5D8232-4_WW_1.00.15).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #8
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Hi Kari, I would suggest a hard reset. There must be a reset button on the router as well. Insert a pin in the reset hole and hold it for 10 secs to reset it. Then re-configure the router settings. If this fails, you can also restore the router firmware even if its up-to-date. If nothing work, I suspect the router is faulty.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #9
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Hi Kari, I would suggest a hard reset. There must be a reset button on the router as well. Insert a pin in the reset hole and hold it for 10 secs to reset it. Then re-configure the router settings. If this fails, you can also restore the router firmware even if its up-to-date. If nothing work, I suspect the router is faulty.
I give Angie a little bit more time to sleep, it's 8:20AM here now. But when she wake's up and helps me to my chair, I'll try the reset.

Updating firmware, in my case replacing current firmware with the same version, would benefit how?

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #10
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

[QUOTE=Kari;1061757]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Updating firmware, in my case replacing current firmware with the same version, would benefit how?

Kari
Sometimes the firmware may get corrupt. Reinstalling firmware is worth a try.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Belkin N1 Vision Router in endless reboot-loop




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Endless reboot loop / chkdsk. Safe mode fails to load.
For some reason, the computer I built a couple of years back has taken to doing an odd reboot loop. It had been working fine, but now when I turn it on it POSTs as normal, starts to load Windows (7 Home Premium 64bit), but when it gets to the point where it would normally show the login screen...
General Discussion
Endless Reboot Loop When Upgrading from Vista to Windows 7
I'm upgrading one of my PCs from Vista Home Premium 64-bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. This is from a CD. Everything went great until it restarted itself and this message showed up: "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error windows installation cannot...
Installation & Setup
Startup Repair Endless Loop
After a (sloppily done on my part) multiple driver update on 7 Home Premium x64, I've been tossed into Startup Repair. SR goes into an endless repeating loop - never reporting failure, just an endless repeat. I've used the Windows 7 install disk and tried System Restore. Twice System Restore...
General Discussion
WLM endless download loop
When I enter WLM, it doesn't get out of downloading mail. When I try to exit the program, I see that it's rapidly downloading 10,000, 20,000, 30,000 messages (which I do not have on my email server). It appears to be stuck in this loop. I don't know what, if anything, I did to cause this. I...
Browsers & Mail
Endless loop trying to install
Hi all, I just bought an Asus Eee Box 1501 with Windows 7. When I power it up, it takes me to the first install screen, then gives me an error message saying that the computer wasn't properly shut down, and to press ok to restart it and proceed with the installation. So, I press ok, it...
Installation & Setup
Endless Loop
There have been several comments in this forum that a problem has been encountered while installing W7, ie process fails, then starts again in an endless loop. I am still waiting for my copy of W7, due tomorrow. I am wondering, since, I am not going to change partition size, or delete any...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:53.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App