Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: If I switch to AMD?

17 Nov 2010   #1
Windows i7 920

Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 
If I switch to AMD?

If I were to swap out my motherboard for an AMD board, and put in a Phenom II X6 BE, would my current RAM kit work in it, or are triple channel kits different from dual channel kits other than the triple having an extra RAM chip? I would be inclined to do this only if all I had to purchase would be a new motherboard and the Phenom II X6. I dont want to replace my RAM, and graphics card. I also heard the Phenom II X6 is a killer overclocker since it is multiplier unlocked.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Nov 2010   #2
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Check the ram under tested for this wicked mobo I looked and it appears Kingston is listed but if these are your sticks you'll need to check!
MSI Global – Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2010   #3
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Just use 2 sticks and you'll still get dual channel. If you want to install the 3rd stick, it will run 2 sticks in dual channel and 1 stick in single channel mode.

And BTW, not to sound like a d#ck or anything but, why would you want to move from a Core-i7 920 to a AMD Phenom II X6 XXXXT CPU?

Even a Phenom II X6 OC'ed to ~3.9GHz, would still have trouble catching up to a Core i7 920 @ stock speeds (that's how strong the Core i7 architecture really is).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Nov 2010   #4
Windows i7 920

Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SlackerITGuy View Post
Just use 2 sticks and you'll still get dual channel. If you want to install the 3rd stick, it will run 2 sticks in dual channel and 1 stick in single channel mode.

And BTW, not to sound like a d#ck or anything but, why would you want to move from a Core-i7 920 to a AMD Phenom II X6 XXXXT CPU?

Even a Phenom II X6 OC'ed to ~3.9GHz, would still have trouble catching up to a Core i7 920 @ stock speeds (that's how strong the Core i7 architecture really is).
Really? The spec listings for the CPUs, and stuff that I've been reading made it sound like the processors were very similar in that area.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2010   #5
vierasniper

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

he could be a fanboy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2010   #6
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows i7 920 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SlackerITGuy View Post
Just use 2 sticks and you'll still get dual channel. If you want to install the 3rd stick, it will run 2 sticks in dual channel and 1 stick in single channel mode.

And BTW, not to sound like a d#ck or anything but, why would you want to move from a Core-i7 920 to a AMD Phenom II X6 XXXXT CPU?

Even a Phenom II X6 OC'ed to ~3.9GHz, would still have trouble catching up to a Core i7 920 @ stock speeds (that's how strong the Core i7 architecture really is).
Really? The spec listings for the CPUs, and stuff that I've been reading made it sound like the processors were very similar in that area.
Really.

You gotta remember, AMD K10 is nothing more than a tweaked version of the old K8 architecture from '03.

On the other hand, Nehalem (Bloomfield/Lynnfield) was built from the ground up not that while ago (~'08 IIRC).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2010   #7
SlackerITGuy

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vierasniper View Post
he could be a fanboy
An Intel fanboy using an AMD Processor.

That makes sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2010   #8
vierasniper

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

you bet your intel loving butt it does

carry on
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2010   #9
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You would also be forced to change your name on this board.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2010   #10
vierasniper

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
You would also be forced to change your name on this board.
haha
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 If I switch to AMD?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Would you do this and switch to Win 8?
I bought a laptop about a month ago. It was a pretty good deal and I grabbed it as I thought I wanted Win7 since that is what my desktop is and new Win7 machines would be disappearing soon. Also my reading about Win8 didn't thrill me. Since that time I have watched the deals closely. Now Win8...
General Discussion
Hub vs Switch vs Router/ 2 Switch Story
I understand that a hub is more like a party line, where all devices hear and read data before sending it to next port, and a switch is advanced hub. But, what is a router. I know what a wireless router is, but they say a router is more advanced than a switch. Can you buy a non-wireless router? ...
Network & Sharing
Dpi switch ?
Good Day All :) I just got a new mouse, and it has a "800/1600 Dpi" switch on it. Could someone be so kind to explain what this is and how to use it Thanks :o
Hardware & Devices
How To Switch From 64 to 32 Bit?
Just bought a new Toshiba laptop (my first) that came with Win 7 64 bit installed. I have that installed on my home desktop, but I want to run the laptop on 32 bit--have lots of software that won't run on 64. The laptop didn't come with any Win 7 disks, but there is a MS product code label on...
General Discussion
Is there a KVM switch for my PC?
Hey all, i got a new PC and bought a KVM switch to go between my 32 and 64 bit machines. oops, i saw my 64 bit HP has no serial port(remember those:shock:). Sooo, i'm having a bald moment here. what do i get or is there any switch for me? thx jw
Hardware & Devices
3GB Switch
I Have Windows 7 RC Build 7100 32 bit. I've been playing Fallout 3 A lot recently and been adding many many mods. It seems however, I've added so many that it needs more memory than the application is normally able to address. I have a utility which will allow it to use more RAM, however i need to...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:45.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App