Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Unable to view Context Menu on mouse!


07 Dec 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
 
 
Unable to view Context Menu on mouse!

Hi, i've a problem with my mouse not able to right-click after a reboot ytdy. It's surprising as it never happened before. I've tried going into gpedit.msc and select Disabled on the options shown but to no avail. It's still not able to show out when i right-clicked my mouse. Tried going to regedit as well and i can't find the ViewContextMenu anywhere too. Appreciate it if anyone can offer me some suggestions. ):

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Dec 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Checked your actual mouse?

Is it wireless or wired? If wireless, have you checked the batteries to see if they're dying? Or check for any obstructions in the laser? Uninstalled and reinstalled your mouse drivers from device manager? Tried a different mouse to see if the same happens?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
 
 

1) It's a wired USB mouse.

2) No Batteries as it's wired.

3) No obstructions in the laser but when i shake the mouse abit i do hear it being "shaky" or sounds "loose" ?

4) I've already done uninstallation and installation and reboot after each step. I've also tried ShellExView BUT is not clear on how to detect the culprit. What i did when i use the program ShellExView is to disable all the context menu that's non-Microsoft and reboot after i enable each file to no avail.

5) Nope. I don't have an extra mouse to test it. :/

What's the next step to check if i REALLY NEED to change my mouse (which i hope not as only the right-click doesn't work.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Dec 2010   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Hi akashinobi, welcome to 7F

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by akashinobi View Post
3) No obstructions in the laser but when i shake the mouse abit i do hear it being "shaky" or sounds "loose" ?
That's not a good sign.
Do you know if anyone or thing has been rough with it lately, Like a pet?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Hi akashinobi, welcome to 7F

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by akashinobi View Post
3) No obstructions in the laser but when i shake the mouse abit i do hear it being "shaky" or sounds "loose" ?
That's not a good sign.
Do you know if anyone or thing has been rough with it lately, Like a pet?
Hi Anak, Thanks for welcoming me here.


Nope i don't have any pets but i have other users besides me like my big bro and my younger sister. Hmm..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2010   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

1. Try a different USB port and see if that helps!
2. Get a mouse for your use Only! Let them deal with the shaky one especially if it's your computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2010   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Well.....Let's not be too hasty here.

There are parts inside of the mouse that can make slight sounds such as you describe, but if it sounds like a "rattle" that's not good.

If you look at some of the pixs in my link you will see wheels, shafts, and pivot points all of which can wear out, and break, and I have experienced all three.
I've even had a micro-switch come loose from its mount. I fixed that by re-gluing it.

There's no one else in your family that has an extra mouse or can loan you one to rule this out?

It would make an excellent ice-breaker with a neighbor. Just explain what's up and see if you can get a loaner.
Most households have a PC now-a-days, heck, even my 90year old neighbor has one.

Darn shame you don't live next to me, I have four I could give to you.....

See 3D Mouse:
3d model PC mouse with inside mechanism mechanical max 3ds by Jiinoo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by The Howling Wolves View Post
1. Try a different USB port and see if that helps!
2. Get a mouse for your use Only! Let them deal with the shaky one especially if it's your computer.
Tried and rebooted. It's still the same man. And it's my own PC but so far it has only dropped once by my gf yet still working which was like early this year in May. Thus, it's only recently that after i rebooted my PC and it just wouldn't right-click to open up a context menu. So i thought it could be a conflict or something and rebooted till it load windows and i plugged into a different USB port but same problem persists. It just won't appear the context menu for me. Sigh.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Well.....Let's not be too hasty here.

There are parts inside of the mouse that can make slight sounds such as you describe, but if it sounds like a "rattle" that's not good.

If you look at some of the pixs in my link you will see wheels, shafts, and pivot points all of which can wear out, and break, and I have experienced all three.
I've even had a micro-switch come loose from its mount. I fixed that by re-gluing it.

There's no one else in your family that has an extra mouse or can loan you one to rule this out?

It would make an excellent ice-breaker with a neighbor. Just explain what's up and see if you can get a loaner.
Most households have a PC now-a-days, heck, even my 90year old neighbor has one.

Darn shame you don't live next to me, I have four I could give to you.....

See 3D Mouse:
3d model PC mouse with inside mechanism mechanical max 3ds by Jiinoo

Nope, there's no one else as they are not that knowledgeable in IT except the basic stuffs. It's quiet here on my floor level as the neighbours tend to do their own stuffs and kept their distance of privacy.

I'll see if i can borrow from my cousin and see if that helps. Else i'll have to whip out greens for another mouse. Sheesh.. though it's still in good condition. I've used it for 3 years or so and it's buttons are still fine and working. Except for the right-click problem that i'm facing which doesn't work anywhere in windows for me to view context menu to save my stuffs or open links on another tab though i can press ctrl+left click. But it's a pain if i need to multitask on my work.

I'll get back to you guys when i've done it. Sorry for the late reply as i'm working on shifts and got part-time classes in the evening as well. I'll look into the advice that you both have told me. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2010   #9

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

there are shortcuts to get the context menu up have a read here Keyboard Shortcut to open Right Click Context Menu
also i found this thats worth a read http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...7-ee462823d231
there is a key on the keyboard (as in pic) and you use the arrow keys and enter


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2010   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Thank you bz for posting. I zeroed in on the mouse, and forgot 'bout a work-around until the OP could get his working, thought 'bout it, but forgot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unable to view Context Menu on mouse!




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33