Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: my laptop hard drive appears as a removable device...

09 Dec 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

after installing a fresh copy of Windows 7, my Laptop hard drive shows up as a removable device (see attached photo, actual screen image of MY desktop area), however if you click to remove it, it says its in use, blah blah blah, can't eject or what have you, i just wanna know how to make this message go away, i searched a lil bit but could not find any clear way to solve the issue except for one thing on google that brought up just ignore it if it isn't hurting anything.......well i don't like that answer

any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance

i will also add that my computer has been like this for well over six months now.....and its just driving me insane......and i finally found a descent forum to get on and the time to more thoroughly investigate the situation



Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Dec 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

bump.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2010   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

This is a common problem when running on the generic AHCI driver supplied in Windows 7.
The solution is to install the correct AHCI driver for your laptop.

First - find the AHCI driver. These usually come in the motherboard CD if this were a custom build. For a laptop you would need to see if there is one in the manufacturer's downloads section, contact the manufacturer, or find out the brand of motherboard, check the specs, and see if you can find a suitable driver. The generic Intel driver works for many boards based on Intel chipsets.

Once you have the correct AHCI driver you install it thus:
  • Open Device Manager
  • Navigate to IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controller > ***AHCI Serial ATA Controller
  • Right click > Properties
  • Choose: Update Driver
  • Browse to the folder that contains the AHCI driver you downloaded > Select > OK
  • “Successful” Message > Close
  • “Must Restart > Restart
  • Drivers Install > Another Restart necessary > Restart
  • Drivers successfully Installed. Remove Hardware Icon no longer showing.
*** : the name of the AHCI device is different for different systems, but it should be the only one with AHCI in it's name.

See if that will help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Dec 2010   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Murd3rd View Post
bump.....
Oh, and welcome to the forum murd3rd.
Read the forum rules when you get a chance (don't bump)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

thanks you for the quick detailed response, im gunna try that out asap

sorry for the violation, didnt know that rule, another forum im on (truck forum) there is no rule against bumping

any reason as to why you cant bump, it keeps your thread in sight of others
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2010   #6

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Murd3rd View Post
thanks you for the quick detailed response, im gunna try that out asap

sorry for the violation, didnt know that rule, another forum im on (truck forum) there is no rule against bumping

any reason as to why you cant bump, it keeps your thread in sight of others
Hi Murd3rd, The main reason you are asked not to "bump" a post is because this forum is very busy and the person most qualified to answer your post may be working on another thread so a little patience is required, your post will get the attention it deserves
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

ok so i did a lil searching for the driver and what i found is the driver that i already have installed? is it possible that this is the driver needed and something else is wrong? see attachment.


Attached Thumbnails
my laptop hard drive appears as a removable device...-driver.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pebbly View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Murd3rd View Post
thanks you for the quick detailed response, im gunna try that out asap

sorry for the violation, didnt know that rule, another forum im on (truck forum) there is no rule against bumping

any reason as to why you cant bump, it keeps your thread in sight of others
Hi Murd3rd, The main reason you are asked not to "bump" a post is because this forum is very busy and the person most qualified to answer your post may be working on another thread so a little patience is required, your post will get the attention it deserves
ok, thank you for the explanation, i appreciate and understand completely, i will remember for next time
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2010   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Hey Murd3rd

That looks like the same generic windows driver you already have. So it will not help.

If you fill out your "My System Specs" (you can use the link in the lower left corner of any post window of yours) someone here can look up your laptop by make and model and give you some help in finding a good driver.

When you finished installing Windows 7 did you install any other drivers? Either from download or from Windows Update?

You may get what you need by installing the "Chipset Driver" for your laptop, if you have not done that already.

EDIT: don't sweat the bump thing. I was a bump violator when I first came here too, and they haven't kicked me out yet!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
Hey Murd3rd

That looks like the same generic windows driver you already have. So it will not help.

If you fill out your "My System Specs" (you can use the link in the lower left corner of any post window of yours) someone here can look up your laptop by make and model and give you some help in finding a good driver.

When you finished installing Windows 7 did you install any other drivers? Either from download or from Windows Update?

You may get what you need by installing the "Chipset Driver" for your laptop, if you have not done that already.

EDIT: don't sweat the bump thing. I was a bump violator when I first came here too, and they haven't kicked me out yet!
i will fill that out asap, thanks

when i installed windows 7 i just ran the windows update and got ALL updates available

where can i acquire the "chipset driver"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 my laptop hard drive appears as a removable device...




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: my laptop hard drive appears as a removable device...
Thread Forum
Solved External Hard Drive not safely removable Hardware & Devices
Solved "send to" menu showing hard/removable drive shortcuts General Discussion
Hard Drive Disk is not detected in laptop - No bootable Device Found Hardware & Devices
My hard drive appears to be seriously screwed up..can you please help? Hardware & Devices
IDE Hard drive detected as Removable device Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 is only seeing one removable hard drive Hardware & Devices
Hard Drive showing in removable devices General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33