Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Quick question about my PSU.

27 Dec 2010   #1
Teekz

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1
 
 
Quick question about my PSU.

Hello, all.

Right, I only have a 400W PSU at the minute, and I fear this is not enough to properly power my machine. I intend to buy a new one at 750W some time soon, but I wonder if there is a way to determine if my current PSU is a little too weak for my system?

I have attached a snip of SpeedFan's power section, in case that could be an indicator.

Cheers,
Tom.




Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Dec 2010   #2
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Those voltages don't look right. The +5V lines are well out of spec. What figures do you get on the appropriate page in the BIOS?

The voltages should lie within the following ranges (we can ignore the negative rails, as these are not used any more):

Loose Tolerance -10%/+8%:

3.3V 2.97V / 3.63V
5.0V 4.5V / 5.4V
12.0V 10.8V / 12.9V

Tight Tolerance -5%/+5%

3.3V 3.135V / 3.465V
5.0V 4.75V / 5.25V
12.0V 11.4V / 12.6V

Your +5V line is reporting a deviation from the nominal level of +37% in the first column and -28% in the second, both figures are well out of the tolerance ranges.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2010   #3
Ivan the SoSo

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

the 5 volts out of spec but here it is...eXtreme Power Supply Calculator
I use 996 watts....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Dec 2010   #4
Teekz

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1
 
 

Well, assuming I entered everything correctly, I got "Minimum PSU Wattage: 385W", and "Recommended PSU Wattage: 435W", but I added 40% aging to be safe, since my machine is on a lot. Based on this, I think my new 750W should do the trick, once I actually buy it.

A few questions, if you don't mind.

- Is it possible to damage my system by installing a PSU that is too powerful, or is it regulated somehow?
- What does it mean that my tolerance ranges are out by quite a bit? Should I be concerned?

I'll reboot and check the BIOS power values now, and report back with them in a moment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2010   #5
Teekz

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1
 
 

I have the BIOS values.

Vcore = 1.326V
DDR2 1.8V = 1.856V
+3.3V = 3.392V
+12V = 12.302V
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2010   #6
Ivan the SoSo

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

No.... I'm running 1260 watts with dual PSU's

The voltage has a range that is acceptable... ie... +/-10% of 5.00 volts is .5 volts so 4.5-5.5 volts is good...your running 3.60-6.85 way out of range

Yes...one your at the limit of the power supply...two the 5 volts unstable....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2010   #7
Teekz

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1
 
 

I shall make it a priority to upgrade my PSU as soon as possible, then. I plan to buy a 750W one, made by my local computer shop, is there any chance you could verify that it will be suitable for the job?

I intend to buy this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2010   #8
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Teekz View Post
Well, assuming I entered everything correctly, I got "Minimum PSU Wattage: 385W", and "Recommended PSU Wattage: 435W", but I added 40% aging to be safe, since my machine is on a lot. Based on this, I think my new 750W should do the trick, once I actually buy it.

A few questions, if you don't mind.

- Is it possible to damage my system by installing a PSU that is too powerful, or is it regulated somehow?
- What does it mean that my tolerance ranges are out by quite a bit? Should I be concerned?

I'll reboot and check the BIOS power values now, and report back with them in a moment.
You cannot damage a system by installing a PSU with greater capacity than your system requires, and this will also give room for further expansion as well as running cooler/more efficiently.

Voltage tolerances are very important, because dropping below the limits can cause malfunctioning and exceeding the limits can actually damage your hardware.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Teekz View Post
I have the BIOS values.

Vcore = 1.326V
DDR2 1.8V = 1.856V
+3.3V = 3.392V
+12V = 12.302V
Those figures look fine, but what about the +5V rail as this is the one that is out of spec?

It could well be that there is nothing wrong with the +5V rail, other than the value being incorrectly reported by SpeedFan. I think that is probably the case, since a +5V rail that far out of spec will prevent your system from running at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2010   #9
Ivan the SoSo

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Teekz View Post
I shall make it a priority to upgrade my PSU as soon as possible, then. I plan to buy a 750W one, made by my local computer shop, is there any chance you could verify that it will be suitable for the job?

I intend to buy this.
It should be, but I can't vouch for the company....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2010   #10
Teekz

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Those figures look fine, but what about the +5V rail as this is the one that is out of spec?

It could well be that there is nothing wrong with the +5V rail, other than the value being incorrectly reported by SpeedFan. I think that is probably the case, since a +5V rail that far out of spec will prevent your system from running at all.
There was no +5V value in my BIOS, I was slightly confused, as I expected one.

Still, I think this one will do, until I buy my new one. I think the store re-opens on January 4th, so I'll probably buy one around that time.

Thanks for the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Quick question about my PSU.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Quick Question!
How do you enable Wlan0 in backtrack(virtual Box) without a usb wireless device?
Virtualization
Quick ram question
I already have a set of khx1600c9d3k3/12gx kit,but I don't won't to buy another of that kit.my question is can I buy the khx1600c9d3k2/8gx and put them in the crosshair v with the khx1600c9d3k3/12gx.does that make sense,I hope it does!
Hardware & Devices
A quick question!
Hello all. Just a real quick question here... I have a webcam but it only comes with Vista drivers which I download from the site. The webcam's model is: Targus. Model: AVC0102. 1.) Does Vista driver work on Windows 7? 2.) Will it cause BSOD, you know since its hardware stuffs. Sorry for...
Drivers
Quick Question
hi, is there a way for me to control my computer fully when i'm at my relative's housee? i mean, can i choose to turn on my computer at home when ever i want and turn off when ever i want while i'm at my relative's house. thank you
General Discussion
Quick Quick Question :D
ok. i have win7 ultimate 64bit RC. now if i buy win7 ultimate 64bit will i have to format my drive in the process? or would i be able to keep everything i have installed? thanks people.
Installation & Setup
quick question
if i download the new version 7229 will i be able to activate it with the key what i got of microsoft for a previous build?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App