Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Optical Drive Cleaning


01 Jan 2011   #1

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 
Optical Drive Cleaning

Thinking about the fact that I had not cleaned my optical drives in a very long time, I used one of those disks with a couple of brushes attached, to clean my DVD drives. I can't be certain, but I think that it improved the read speed while encoding some video by 3-5 fps, and perhaps stabilized the speed somewhat.

That is as much as I have ever done, but being a smoker, and knowing the sticky nature of nicotine smoke, I would bet that the brushing didn't remove that. I read a couple of web pages, where it recommended using canned air to blast in the tray slot, but I tend to feel that might just blow the dust around, and still not remove the nicotine. Another metioned using a Q-Tip moistened with isopropyl alcohol, directly on the lens of laptop drives, because the lens is attached to the tray, thus exposed when the tray is open, but that is not true of an internal desktop drive.

Therefore, I'm wondering how advisable it would be to use that alcohol to moisten the little brushes on the cleaner disk for that purpose? Obviously, it couldn't be much, otherwise it would be slung around inside the drive, and likely would dry very quickly. I'm not sure if it would really make the lens cleaner, or just smear the nicotine around.

I'm hoping that someone that smokes and has tried something like this will respond, rather than others with no real experience.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Jan 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

I do not smoke and hence do not qualify for a suggestion but ranting - I never stop.

1. Do not smoke in front of the computer.

2. Just use a fine micro-fibre cloth and give some gentle wipes to the lense.( I would avoid any cleaning liquids)

I also have read that cleaning disks with minute holes that blow air on to the lense due to the centrifugal force of the spinning disks are available and is a better one than the brushes.

But in your case, a gentle wipe is perhaps called for.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2011   #3

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Ignoring the rant, it is not possible to reach the lens with a micro-fibre cloth, or any thing of that sort, without disassembling the drive, which I'm not going to do, since it is an internal drive. I have not seen a cleaning disk with the holes that you speak of, do you know where to find them?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Jan 2011   #4

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

The cleaning discs do a passable job.. give em a spin, then enjoy!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2011   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

I'd say stay away from cleaning the lens manually. The pickup uses a very fine focus assy, which physically moves the lens part up and down. It's going to be very fragile. Leave it be IMHO. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2011   #6

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I'd say stay away from cleaning the lens manually. The pickup uses a very fine focus assy, which physically moves the lens part up and down. It's going to be very fragile. Leave it be IMHO. A Guy
Does that include using a cleaning disk? I have done that a number of times before, without any apparent problems. This is what my OP was about in the first place, only adding alcohol, in some fashion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2011   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I'd say stay away from cleaning the lens manually. The pickup uses a very fine focus assy, which physically moves the lens part up and down. It's going to be very fragile. Leave it be IMHO. A Guy
Does that include using a cleaning disk? I have done that a number of times before, without any apparent problems. This is what my OP was about in the first place, only adding alcohol, in some fashion.
The disk is ok, it just brushes a bit. Adding the alcohol, hard to say, as you say, might just smear it around. Might do it several times, likely wouldn't hurt. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2011   #8

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

I used to service optical drives and the most effective cleaner was saliva

I am of course not suggesting you lick it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2011   #9

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ickymay View Post
I used to service optical drives and the most effective cleaner was saliva

I am of course not suggesting you lick it
Yes, but I bet that when you serviced a drive, it involved a bit of disassembly to expose the lens, and you could wipe the spit off. I doubt that spit on a cleaning disk would work the same. Besides, the result would probably vary depending on what you just ate or drank.

EDIT: Is that how you got your username?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2011   #10

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ickymay View Post
I used to service optical drives and the most effective cleaner was saliva

I am of course not suggesting you lick it
Yes, but I bet that when you serviced a drive, it involved a bit of disassembly to expose the lens, and you could wipe the spit off. I doubt that spit on a cleaning disk would work the same. Besides, the result would probably vary depending on what you just ate or drank.

EDIT: Is that how you got your username?
hah no its a spoonerism of my rl name lol which became my monica when working in the music industry

I am however serious about the saliva which works very well as a degreaser when applied to a cotton bud or onto the brush or pad of a disc cleaner so works with or without disassembly , but your correct not to be used if your eating or drinking things that change your saliva too much
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Optical Drive Cleaning




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Optical Drive Cleaning
Thread Forum
Some House Cleaning after Switching OS drive to SSD Installation & Setup
Solved optical drive gone Hardware & Devices
Optical drive clicks twice when starting video on hard drive- Music, Pictures & Video
Software for serious cleaning of clutter on SSD Root Drive Performance & Maintenance
Cleaning, Removing old USB Flash drive drivers Drivers
Optical Drive MIA Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33