Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WD 1TB Drive; Is not accessible/Access Denied

04 Jan 2011   #1
Evols

7UX64
 
 
WD 1TB Drive; Is not accessible/Access Denied

Greetings!
First Post.

Problem is that I'm unable to access my WD Drive. I get a message that says Access Denied. This drive was originally formatted with a version of VISTA using recovery disks. I then went over top with W7. I no longer use the drive as my main OS but rather as a storage drive and a backup OS. I can still boot the OS on this drive but can not access any data stored outside of the OS environment. Under My Computer, while I'm booted into the OS on this Drive(back-up OS), you see a partition called Reserved Partion. This reserved partition is the partion that the OS is operating within. You also see another partition that is presumably the rest of the drive and also unaccessible.

Here is what happened leading up to this issue.

1) I wanted to remove clutter, mainly my Windows.old file(formerly recovered VISTA)
2) I tried deleting this folder
3) I got a msg saying that I could not delete certain folders because I didn't have permission to do so. I checked the permissions under the properties of the folder to see that permissions were being held by a User that I didn't recognize(TrustedContentID) or something like that.
4) I opened the Windows.old Folder and started deleting random folders in hopes that I could delete the bulk of the folder and just ignore what I could not.
5) I found that most of the folders contained items that I did not have permission to delete.
6) I thought this was weird and decided to re-do the ownership of the drive. During this process there were a few error msgs that said there were folders that I could not change the ownership of....access is denied....I hit continue several times as the msg repeated itself. Finally the ownership change was complete.
7) unable to access drive.

I've tried unsuccessfully many times to change the permissions of the drive. I've also tried booting into my back up OS to change the ownership of the drive from there too...no luck.

This is my problem. I would really appreciate some feedback or even questions that prompt for more information...
Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jan 2011   #2
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Run Disk Cleanup. If it's not detected that way, format the drive. It would take an insanely long time to take ownership of everything in order to delete it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2011   #3
Evols

7UX64
 
 

I walked around it by activating my "hidden" admin account. Problem solved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Jan 2011   #4
James Colbert

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnathan Lyman View Post
Run Disk Cleanup. If it's not detected that way, format the drive. It would take an insanely long time to take ownership of everything in order to delete it.
+1, Johnathon.

Evols, Disk Cleanup is the intended method of removing the windows.old folder. Just point it in the right direction and let it go. You should rehide the hidden admin.

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2011   #5
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnathan Lyman View Post
Run Disk Cleanup. If it's not detected that way, format the drive. It would take an insanely long time to take ownership of everything in order to delete it.
+1, Johnathon.

Evols, Disk Cleanup is the intended method of removing the windows.old folder. Just point it in the right direction and let it go. You should rehide the hidden admin.

James
The only reason keeping the hidden admin account hidden is if you didn't do a clean install of a retail Windows version yourself but instead bought the machine with Windows pre-loaded, the OEM may have done some configuring that is based off of the hidden admin account staying hidden. Just my 2 off-topic cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2011   #6
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnathan Lyman View Post

The only reason keeping the hidden admin account hidden is if you didn't do a clean install of a retail Windows version yourself but instead bought the machine with Windows pre-loaded, the OEM may have done some configuring that is based off of the hidden admin account staying hidden. Just my 2 off-topic cents.
I'd be interested if you could elaborate on this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2011   #7
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnathan Lyman View Post

The only reason keeping the hidden admin account hidden is if you didn't do a clean install of a retail Windows version yourself but instead bought the machine with Windows pre-loaded, the OEM may have done some configuring that is based off of the hidden admin account staying hidden. Just my 2 off-topic cents.
I'd be interested if you could elaborate on this?
Back in my retail pc tech days, I came across a number of machines running OEM versions of Vista there were a couple of times we enabled the "super admin" account as we called it to perform tasks. After doing so, we found that (not always) OEM software didn't function properly and started causing problems. We also found one time that removing the super admin account from outside of windows disabled all of the accounts altogether (this was on a dell laptop). I haven't come across it these days but I also don't work in that environment anymore.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2011   #8
James Colbert

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnathan Lyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnathan Lyman View Post
Run Disk Cleanup. If it's not detected that way, format the drive. It would take an insanely long time to take ownership of everything in order to delete it.
+1, Johnathon.

Evols, Disk Cleanup is the intended method of removing the windows.old folder. Just point it in the right direction and let it go. You should rehide the hidden admin.

James
The only reason keeping the hidden admin account hidden is if you didn't do a clean install of a retail Windows version yourself but instead bought the machine with Windows pre-loaded, the OEM may have done some configuring that is based off of the hidden admin account staying hidden. Just my 2 off-topic cents.

I wasn't actually thinking from that point of view (esp. having not owned an OEM machine since the early 90s), but is there any reason not to rehide the account? I myself wouldn't want that account visible should others have access to the machine.

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2011   #9
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnathan Lyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnathan Lyman View Post

The only reason keeping the hidden admin account hidden is if you didn't do a clean install of a retail Windows version yourself but instead bought the machine with Windows pre-loaded, the OEM may have done some configuring that is based off of the hidden admin account staying hidden. Just my 2 off-topic cents.
I'd be interested if you could elaborate on this?
Back in my retail pc tech days, I came across a number of machines running OEM versions of Vista there were a couple of times we enabled the "super admin" account as we called it to perform tasks. After doing so, we found that (not always) OEM software didn't function properly and started causing problems. We also found one time that removing the super admin account from outside of windows disabled all of the accounts altogether (this was on a dell laptop). I haven't come across it these days but I also don't work in that environment anymore.
Johnathan,
There is something in what you say that rings a bell. Given that most OSs come installed on OEM machines it would be interesting to know if others have experienced this sort of issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2011   #10
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnathan Lyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post

+1, Johnathon.

Evols, Disk Cleanup is the intended method of removing the windows.old folder. Just point it in the right direction and let it go. You should rehide the hidden admin.

James
The only reason keeping the hidden admin account hidden is if you didn't do a clean install of a retail Windows version yourself but instead bought the machine with Windows pre-loaded, the OEM may have done some configuring that is based off of the hidden admin account staying hidden. Just my 2 off-topic cents.

I wasn't actually thinking from that point of view (esp. having not owned an OEM machine since the early 90s), but is there any reason not to rehide the account? I myself wouldn't want that account visible should others have access to the machine.

James
The user names people create on OEM machines today when they set them up have full admin rights under that account. Unless you're trying to cheat the system, there really isn't any reason to keep it unhidden. Plus, If malware got a hold of that account it would have free reign with file and system permissions and there'd be nothing you can do about it.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnathan Lyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post

I'd be interested if you could elaborate on this?
Back in my retail pc tech days, I came across a number of machines running OEM versions of Vista there were a couple of times we enabled the "super admin" account as we called it to perform tasks. After doing so, we found that (not always) OEM software didn't function properly and started causing problems. We also found one time that removing the super admin account from outside of windows disabled all of the accounts altogether (this was on a dell laptop). I haven't come across it these days but I also don't work in that environment anymore.
Johnathan,
There is something in what you say that rings a bell. Given that most OSs come installed on OEM machines it would be interesting to know if others have experienced this sort of issue.
Same.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WD 1TB Drive; Is not accessible/Access Denied




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"E:\ is not accessible. Access is denied" issue with my external hdd
Hi, I have some problem with my external harddrive. I use Windows 7 home premium 64bit. Normally, I can use my external harddrive with my laptop perfectly. But I dont know why few days ago I cannot access to my harddrive anymore and it shows "E:\ is not accessible. Access is denied" ...
Hardware & Devices
Folder not accessible. Access Denied
I have a folder on my desktop that I created about a month ago. Nothing is really in it, just some video files. Im trying to delete the sub folders within it, and it gives me the message that 'The Folder Not Accessible' It says that I have to have Admin permission to delete the contents. Im the...
General Discussion
Folder lock,I:/ is not accessible,access is denied.
So, I m posting this because My internal HDD is messed up by using folder lock bye new softwares.net,I locked my hard drive because my laptop was being taken away from me to my sister :p So i downloaded Folder lock 7 and locked the drive and a folder(downloads).After 2 months when i got it back I...
Hardware & Devices
Location is not available c:\ is not accessible access is denied
Just upgraded from XP to 7. No problems until I tried to look at C (the only drive) in Windows Explorer and got the above error message. I am logged on as an administrator. Right click to Properties works, and administrators have Allow checked for all permissions. Tried changing owner of drive...
General Discussion
error; My Pictures not accessible access denied
Hi All I have deleted all the files and folders which were in My Document because I wanted to transfer all documents from another machine's data partition to the machine I'm working now(which I had transferred the \My Documents to the data partition some time ago). Is there a way to get access...
Installation & Setup
partition on hdd is not accessible. Access is denied
Hi I have 500 GB Segate SATA hard drive , I divided it to two partitions : One NTFS partition for windows 7 professional OS Another NTFS partition (W) is for data storage
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App