Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Abrupt shutdown (power cable pulled by mistake)

05 Jan 2011   #1
SlackerITGuy

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 
Abrupt shutdown (power cable pulled by mistake)

So I was playing playing a little BFBC2 earlier tonight, when by mistake, I disconnected the power cord from my UPS with my foot, resulting in the computer shutting down abruptly.

My question is, what are the consequences of this kind of hard shutdown? should I be concerned with damages done to my system/hardware? (BFBC2 is a pretty demanding game, so my CPU and GPU were @ full load).

Thanks in advanced.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jan 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SlackerITGuy View Post
So I was playing playing a little BFBC2 earlier tonight, when by mistake, I disconnected the power cord from my UPS with my foot, resulting in the computer shutting down abruptly.

My question is, what are the consequences of this kind of hard shutdown? should I be concerned with damages done to my system/hardware? (BFBC2 is a pretty demanding game, so my CPU and GPU were @ full load).

Thanks in advanced.

The possibilities range from no damage to complete HD fail. Chances are really high that there was no damage at all and if you have a back up (you do have a backup right?) no possibility of data loss


Turn it on and find out



Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #3
SlackerITGuy

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SlackerITGuy View Post
So I was playing playing a little BFBC2 earlier tonight, when by mistake, I disconnected the power cord from my UPS with my foot, resulting in the computer shutting down abruptly.

My question is, what are the consequences of this kind of hard shutdown? should I be concerned with damages done to my system/hardware? (BFBC2 is a pretty demanding game, so my CPU and GPU were @ full load).

Thanks in advanced.

The possibilities range from no damage to complete HD fail. Chances are really high that there was no damage at all and if you have a back up (you do have a backup right?) no possibility of data loss


Turn it on and find out



Ken J
Thanks for the insanely quick reply mate.

To be honest, I'm actually more concerned about potential damage done to my PSU, CPU and GPU, HDD/data loss is the least of my concerns right now.

My rig turned on just fine btw.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Jan 2011   #4
thefabe

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

This has also happened several time to me with no problems , the only variable difference is I don't have a UPS. So the only thing left to do is start her up and see.
Fabe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #5
profdlp

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

If everyone who ever had a power loss suffered damage to their computer there would be a lot of sad people in the world. Don't sweat it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #6
SlackerITGuy

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Hahaha nice one profdlp.

+rep(s) going out immediately.

Thanks again fellas!.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #7
rap33042

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

When this happens to me I don't really worry about hardware damage so much as a garbled hard drive.

I run chkdsk on all the drives just to be sure about the data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #8
profdlp

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rap33042 View Post
When this happens to me I don't really worry about hardware damage so much as a garbled hard drive.

I run chkdsk on all the drives just to be sure about the data.
That is excellent advice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Abrupt shutdown (power cable pulled by mistake)




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Plug in a sata power cable
Can I plug in the power cable to a sata drive (already connected to sata port on mobo), while the computer is on. With that drive connected Windows will not boot (I never have had a problem with the drive before, even when installing windows). If I remember right, a few years ago, I moved the...
Hardware & Devices
BSOD after unplugging power cable by mistake while playing Css.
hi, after i turned the computer off by unplugging the power cable by mistake while playing Counter-Strike: Source (which made windows turn off unexpectedly) i keep getting random BSOD. TY INFO: 1-never had a bsod for 2 years. Question: 1-will re-installing windows fix it ?
BSOD Help and Support
Prevent Network Card shutdown on ethernet cable removal
I need to know if this is a Windows 7 issue... I am running software which is licensed through my network card ID. I have recently bought a new laptop, running Windows 7 for the first time. Unless there is a network cable plugged in, I have no access at all to my card and so the software does...
Network & Sharing
usb extension cable or power issues?
i have a 15m usb extension cable and i need to run more than one device from it. At the moment i can only run one thing, a mouse. I also have a usb hub, from tescos and i was going to use it to connect multiple devices to the one usb cable/port. I tried doing this but it although the light...
General Discussion
Power supply cable... (I'm freaking out!)
At first I didn't even know what to think... Then I thought it wasn't anything important, but now I'm starting to freak out. I am hearing "quiet" buzzing sounds coming out of my power supply. The power supply itself is very new but the cable I'm using is around 5 years old. If I reach to the...
Hardware & Devices
Mobo/CPU power cable ?
I have a ASUS P6T mobo with a i7-950 CPU.The mobo has a 8 pin power cable connection for the CPU, but 4 of the pics are covers. Not 4 on one side, but 4 on one end. I have the machine running, all is well, but I'm wondering if I should get an 8 pin cable and use that instead of the 4. I don't do...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App