Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB Thumb Drive vs Portable HDD

07 Jan 2011   #1
oreo27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 
[Solved] USB Thumb Drive vs Portable HDD

Hi Everyone,

I need your opinions on a purchase I'm planning to make soon. I'm in a bit of a fork as to what I'm going to get actually.

A thumb drive would be more portable, so to speak rather than the portable HDD.

An HDD would have way more space, however.

I will mostly use this as a portable drive, bootable with Hiren's Boot CD.

The price difference between the two items, and the two items are as follows:

1. SanDisk® Cruzer® Blade™ USB flash drive 16GB - Php 1,150 - Brand New

2. Seagate FreeAgent Go™ 250GB - Php 2,000 - Used - Warranty until September 2013.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jan 2011   #2
thefabe

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

I guess the question I would have is what exactly do you intend to use it for? And just how much storage space do you require?
Thumb drives are very compact and easy to setup and use.

I use both. I really like my 2.5in external drives and I think I only paid like 29.99 on the bay (made in china of course) for the last one with 80g's of space, I use it to keep all my paid for programs on and the keys as well as virus removal programs and such.

I use my thumb drive to share programs and music and such with my Nephew since if he loses it it's cheaper for me to replace and he has tested that theory.
Fabe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2011   #3
oreo27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thefabe View Post
I guess the question I would have is what exactly do you intend to use it for? And just how much storage space do you require?
Thumb drives are very compact and easy to setup and use.

I use both. I really like my 2.5in external drives and I think I only paid like 29.99 on the bay (made in china of course) for the last one with 80g's of space, I use it to keep all my paid for programs on and the keys as well as virus removal programs and such.

I use my thumb drive to share programs and music and such with my Nephew since if he loses it it's cheaper for me to replace and he has tested that theory.
Fabe
I'll mostly be using it as a bootable utility USB drive. And maybe have a backup of all my documents, which is very small in size.

And the occasional transfer of converted video files and such.

However, I already have a Western Digital MyBook Essentials 1TB. It runs on external power and is quite bulky.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Jan 2011   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Another couple of choices:

A USB drive dock, into which you can put any spare hard disk drive you may have.

A USB to SATA cable, which connects directly from any USB port to any spare SATA drive, without a dock. You just lay the bare drive on a tabletop.

It depends on how much capacity you need and the degree of portability.

I use a USB drive dock and a spare 320 gig drive for making backups every couple of weeks. I could also have just purchased the USB-SATA cable instead. I think they can be found for $10.

I needed more capacity and found that USB thumb drives get very expensive as the capacity increases. I just think of my setup as a USB drive that I can't fit in my pocket.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2011   #5
TonyTiger2004

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Note: If your computer has an eSATA port get the eSATA External drive. As eSATA is like 6x faster then USB 2.0.

And also while your Documents you intend on baking up are small now they could grow over time. Personally if it was me i would get both as Thumb Drives are Cheap.

But lots of good suggestions given already. All in all it just depends on what your doing with it. But no one could go wrong having both in their arsenal.

eSATA 1TB Hard Drive only $99.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-152-_-Product


- Tony
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #6
oreo27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Another couple of choices:

A USB drive dock, into which you can put any spare hard disk drive you may have.

A USB to SATA cable, which connects directly from any USB port to any spare SATA drive, without a dock. You just lay the bare drive on a tabletop.

It depends on how much capacity you need and the degree of portability.

I use a USB drive dock and a spare 320 gig drive for making backups every couple of weeks. I could also have just purchased the USB-SATA cable instead. I think they can be found for $10.

I needed more capacity and found that USB thumb drives get very expensive as the capacity increases. I just think of my setup as a USB drive that I can't fit in my pocket.
Nice That's not an option for me however as they have to be more compact than that. Thanks for the input though.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TonyTiger2004 View Post
Note: If your computer has an eSATA port get the eSATA External drive. As eSATA is like 6x faster then USB 2.0.

And also while your Documents you intend on baking up are small now they could grow over time. Personally if it was me i would get both as Thumb Drives are Cheap.

But lots of good suggestions given already. All in all it just depends on what your doing with it. But no one could go wrong having both in their arsenal.

eSATA 1TB Hard Drive only $99.00
Newegg.com - iomega Professional 1TB USB 2.0 / eSATA External Hard Drive 34280


- Tony
I'm not quite sure if I have an eSATA port internally but externally, I'm pretty sure I don't. It's the first time I've actually heard of the technology

Well, the undeciding factor for me really is; Is it worth it to get the 16GB thumb drive?

I mean just for 90% more in cash, i get roughly a 1500% increase in capacity.

But it would be less portable.

*sigh*

I wish I just had the money to purchase both.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #7
TonyTiger2004

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oreo27 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Another couple of choices:

A USB drive dock, into which you can put any spare hard disk drive you may have.

A USB to SATA cable, which connects directly from any USB port to any spare SATA drive, without a dock. You just lay the bare drive on a tabletop.

It depends on how much capacity you need and the degree of portability.

I use a USB drive dock and a spare 320 gig drive for making backups every couple of weeks. I could also have just purchased the USB-SATA cable instead. I think they can be found for $10.

I needed more capacity and found that USB thumb drives get very expensive as the capacity increases. I just think of my setup as a USB drive that I can't fit in my pocket.
Nice That's not an option for me however as they have to be more compact than that. Thanks for the input though.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TonyTiger2004 View Post
Note: If your computer has an eSATA port get the eSATA External drive. As eSATA is like 6x faster then USB 2.0.

And also while your Documents you intend on baking up are small now they could grow over time. Personally if it was me i would get both as Thumb Drives are Cheap.

But lots of good suggestions given already. All in all it just depends on what your doing with it. But no one could go wrong having both in their arsenal.

eSATA 1TB Hard Drive only $99.00
Newegg.com - iomega Professional 1TB USB 2.0 / eSATA External Hard Drive 34280


- Tony
I'm not quite sure if I have an eSATA port internally but externally, I'm pretty sure I don't. It's the first time I've actually heard of the technology

Well, the undeciding factor for me really is; Is it worth it to get the 16GB thumb drive?

I mean just for 90% more in cash, i get roughly a 1500% increase in capacity.

But it would be less portable.

*sigh*

I wish I just had the money to purchase both.
It really just depends on how your going to be using it, 16gb is nice in a thumb drive, however thats rather small if you ever intend on using it for backup say if you ever want to format your HDD and wanna back everything up on to something. If you ever intend on needing more then 16gb i would go with the external drive. And as i said if you do happen to have an eSATA port get a external drive she is eSATA as it is 6x faster then USB 2.0

So overall it just depends on how you intend on using it mostly. Its just a matter of preference. You will most definitely get more bang for your buck going with an external drive. Just less portability then the thumb drive. But still very portable.

- Tony
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #8
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

USB flash/thumb drives and HDDs can both fail.
HDDs can give some indication of failure. In my experience USBs just fail without warning. In terms of GB/$ there's no comparison.

I'd use small USBs (4GB) for misc document storage and utility USBs. HDDs for everything else.

I have a 4GB USB with Hirens 13., Windows 7 system repair, Macrium linux rescue booting, Puppy linux, ++++++++. Still room to spare. You don't need 16GB for this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #9
TonyTiger2004

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
USB flash/thumb drives and HDDs can both fail.
HDDs can give some indication of failure. In my experience USBs just fail without warning. In terms of GB/$ there's no comparison.

I'd use small USBs (4GB) for misc document storage and utility USBs. HDDs for everything else.

I have a 4GB USB with Hirens 13., Windows 7 system repair, Macrium linux rescue booting, Puppy linux, ++++++++. Still room to spare. You don't need 16GB for this.

Well Said, bottom line get an external drive and possible a smaller flash/thumb drive (4gb to 6gb)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #10
James Colbert

 
 

Both serve their own purpose. The suggestion for both is a good one, if you can afford it. But if you do decide on a USB key, the Patriot Xporter is an excellent choice and super fast (and cheap). I have a few of these. They're excellent for booting rescue utilities, linux distros and the like, as well as transfering files. Here are 3 links to 4, 8 & 16GB. Read the reviews:

Newegg.com - Patriot Xporter XT Boost 4GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model PEF4GUSB

Newegg.com - Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8GB Flash Drive (USB 2.0 Portable) Model PEF8GUSB

Newegg.com - Patriot Xporter XT Boost 16GB Flash Drive (USB 2.0 Portable) Model PEF16GUSB

These are cheap enough that they will suffice for whatever use until you shake loose the cost of an HDD. Just keep copies of your important files on other media as well and their should be no problem.

Another great link for thumb drive use:

Boot Multiple ISO from USB (MultiBoot USB) | USB Pen Drive Linux

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB Thumb Drive vs Portable HDD




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Thumb Drive
Are there any tools to repair thumb drives? I have a dive that will not format after I pulled it out without ejecting it.
Hardware & Devices
Thumb drive not recognized
I have both a desktop and a laptop running Win7. I use a password manager on my desktop and decided to copy the password manager to a thumb drive to use on the laptop. I copied the folder to the thumb drive and checked it's operation on the desktop and it worked fine. I plugged the thumb drive into...
Hardware & Devices
Clearing a thumb drive.
In the past I have re-formatted thumb drives to remove all data. I know "delete" actually lists the delete file/folder in the hidden "Recycle bin" on the thumb drive. Recently I had to verify a WD portable USB HD and one of the features on the WD tool was to ... (this is where I am out of my...
Hardware & Devices
Help may have messed up thumb drive.
FIXED Ok i have a 8g usb thumb drive. Tried the chrom os install on it and couldn't get it to load on a pc. So just decided to formate thumb drive AND NOW it only has 1 gig. I tried the Devise management and all i see it Devise has unallacated space...... Help....
General Discussion
Bootable Thumb Drive
I'm making a bootable thumb drive with all the best recovery and testing tools I can think of. Problem is I cant think of any other tools to put on it. So far I have Hiren's boot cd, ubcd, ubcd4win, XP install disk image (dunno if the xp works yet), clonezilla, ubuntu, and orphcrack. Anyone...
Performance & Maintenance
thumb drive troubles
I am having trouble with my thumb drive. I can format it okay with FAT32, but not NTFS. Both Full and Quick format both end with "The format did not complete successfully". I have also tried from the command prompt and GParted. GParted did not return any errors, but Windows would not recognize it....
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:31.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App