Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Trim on USB3 attached SSD


17 Jan 2011   #1
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 
Trim on USB3 attached SSD

Does anybody know whether Trim would work on an USB3 attached SSD?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jan 2011   #2
Punkster

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
 
 

Hey, Wolfgang, how do you have it attached to the USB3? some kind of adapter?

This is what i've found (USB3 SSD)

128GB OCZ Enyo USB3.0 Portable SSD Solid State Disk
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2011   #3
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Punkster View Post
Hey, Wolfgang, how do you have it attached to the USB3? some kind of adapter?

This is what i've found (USB3 SSD)

128GB OCZ Enyo USB3.0 Portable SSD Solid State Disk
Right, it is a USB3 enclosure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Jan 2011   #4
Punkster

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
 
 

Hmm.. i'm not completely sure, i haven't found anything about TRIM support for USB3 other than the link i posted but that's another story
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2011   #5
thehappyman

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Does anybody know whether Trim would work on an USB3 attached SSD?
Hi whs - USB 3.0 and SATA are both "serial data" protocols although they are electrically quite different (SATA = "Serial Advanced Technology Attachment"). So I believe they would both be transferring the same commands and data.

My guess is it will work just fine. Pretty sure about that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2011   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thehappyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Does anybody know whether Trim would work on an USB3 attached SSD?
Hi whs - USB 3.0 and SATA are both "serial data" protocols although they are electrically quite different (SATA = "Serial Advanced Technology Attachment"). So I believe they would both be transferring the same commands and data.

My guess is it will work just fine. Pretty sure about that.
happyman, Thanks for the answer. I was contemplating to put a SSD into my external USB3 enclosure - mainly as workspace for video editing. But if the thing got "clogged", it would not be worth it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2011   #7
James Colbert

 
 

I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out. Will SSD on a USB connection be any faster or more responsive than a mechanical drive? Will it have trim problems (a possibility you have anticipated), will there be any issues? All interesting questions. Let us know, if you don't mind.

Thanks,
James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2011   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out. Will SSD on a USB connection be any faster or more responsive than a mechanical drive? Will it have trim problems (a possibility you have anticipated), will there be any issues? All interesting questions. Let us know, if you don't mind.

Thanks,
James
James, these are all intersting questions. I hope my finance minister approves the expense for the "experiment" - she wants to buy more crafting supplies. Can a SSD compete against that?

I was looking at this one. At least it does not cost a fortune. Before I bought Vertex and Intel, but they are more expensive. But the Agility has good specs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2011   #9
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

I know that OCZ SSD's have what they call Garbage Collection which does the same job as Trim. It keeps a log of "dirty" pages and zeros them when idle. On SATA interface Trim only works with ACHI mode and not IDE mode. Don't have a clue if it works on USB or not. More research is needed.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2011   #10
James Colbert

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out. Will SSD on a USB connection be any faster or more responsive than a mechanical drive? Will it have trim problems (a possibility you have anticipated), will there be any issues? All interesting questions. Let us know, if you don't mind.

Thanks,
James
James, these are all intersting questions. I hope my finance minister approves the expense for the "experiment" - she wants to buy more crafting supplies. Can a SSD compete against that?

I was looking at this one. At least it does not cost a fortune. Before I bought Vertex and Intel, but they are more expensive. But the Agility has good specs.
I hear good things about OCZ. I have yet to try SSD (I have so many satas I am using them as bare drive backups).

Plus, I am renovating my office space now, so I must be selective with my expenses. Perhaps your Finance Minister would care to make a donation...it's a much more worthy cause than yet another computer component for you.

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Trim on USB3 attached SSD




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Trim on USB3 attached SSD
Thread Forum
Prevent removing attached VHD, from safely removed attached media Virtualization
Solved ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3: USB3 driver issues Drivers
How to TRIM a SSD in Windows 7 Performance & Maintenance
Solved How to run TRIM Hardware & Devices
Trim question Hardware & Devices
Solved W7 64 TRIM for SSD Hardware & Devices
Trim and RAID0 Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App