Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB Formating Query


25 Jan 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
USB Formating Query

Hi I've been looking at sites and watching videos of people formating there USB drives from FAT32 into NTFS, and have noticed that when they right click there drive and click format , under the system tab they only have the choice of FAT and Fat32,but on mine there are the options for NTFS,FAT32 and exFAT.

Now when they choose the polices tab on the drives properties they are ticking better performance so they can get the option NTFS in the format options...

so I suppose my question is can I choose Quick removal (default) and format my corsair 16gb using NTFS ???

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jan 2011   #2

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevemordad View Post
Hi I've been looking at sites and watching videos of people formating there USB drives from FAT32 into NTFS, and have noticed that when they right click there drive and click format , under the system tab they only have the choice of FAT and Fat32,but on mine there are the options for NTFS,FAT32 and exFAT.

Now when they choose the polices tab on the drives properties they are ticking better performance so they can get the option NTFS in the format options...

so I suppose my question is can I choose Quick removal (default) and format my corsair 16gb using NTFS ???
Dear stevemordad,
The simple answer as to why you need to convert to NTFS is, it provides for greatly increased security, file–by–file compression, quotas, and even encryption.

The recommendation is not to store sensitive data on a FAT32 based system,let it be a disk or a pen drive,as it can be easily detected,read and thus compromise your security! These days the buzz word is "security" with a capital S, so i see no reason why you should not go for NTFS formatting!

The above info' is courtesy : NTFS vs. FAT: Which Is Right for You?

regards,
Sreedhav
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

ye thanx

was looking for an answer or a useful reply to my post///
did you read my post????...dont want to sound off hand but as im new here thought the idea was to help with posts not give some random reply..

sorry if this upsets you...maybe you acidently read someone elses post
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Jan 2011   #4

Windows 8.1 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sreedhav View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevemordad View Post
Hi I've been looking at sites and watching videos of people formating there USB drives from FAT32 into NTFS, and have noticed that when they right click there drive and click format , under the system tab they only have the choice of FAT and Fat32,but on mine there are the options for NTFS,FAT32 and exFAT.

Now when they choose the polices tab on the drives properties they are ticking better performance so they can get the option NTFS in the format options...

so I suppose my question is can I choose Quick removal (default) and format my corsair 16gb using NTFS ???
Dear stevemordad,
The simple answer as to why you need to convert to NTFS is, it provides for greatly increased security, file–by–file compression, quotas, and even encryption.
Not just that, NTFS offers better performance with the way it structures the file system.

But yes Steve, if you go to the Format, and choose NTFS and format the drive (quick or full), the drive will be set to NTFS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
 
 

I think what the OP means is why there isn't the NTFS option if he can see it on his USB, it's tied to the fact that you have to enable "Better Performance" in the USB under Device Manager to enable the NTFS formatting option.

After formatting the USB, you need to click on Quick Removal for "Safe Extracting" that's all, when you have the drive formatted as FAT32 i think it's OK to remove the USB from the port without using the quick removal option (that's what i get from the Directives tab of the device)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

For a stick it does not really matter. It has no write buffer and whether you check Quick Removal or not comes out to the same.

NTFS has some advantages, but for a stick it is slower than Fat32 and produces more wear and tear.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #7

Windows 8.1 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post

NTFS has some advantages, but for a stick it is slower than Fat32 and produces more wear and tear.
Even for a stick, NTFS is recommended if it's over 4GB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #9

Windows 8.1 Professional x64
 
 

I did the same benchmark with my 16GB USB Drive and got ~4800ops/min with NTFS and ~3500ops/min with FAT32
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2011   #10

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stevemordad View Post
ye thanx

was looking for an answer or a useful reply to my post///
did you read my post????...dont want to sound off hand but as im new here thought the idea was to help with posts not give some random reply..

sorry if this upsets you...maybe you acidently read someone elses post
Dear stevemordad,
I am sorry if my post was off-tangent! When i right-click my usb drive,i too get NTFS option! Hope this article will help : How To Format a USB Flash Drive with the NTFS File System | How To Do Things
Regards,
Sreedhav
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB Formating Query




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: USB Formating Query
Thread Forum
Formating windows 7 General Discussion
formating new HDD System Security
Solved Formating WHOLE 8GB SD CARD?? how? General Discussion
disk formating Installation & Setup
Re formating problem General Discussion
USB RAW formating Hardware & Devices
steps of formating .. please !! Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33