Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Driver removal

07 Feb 2011   #1
tomween1

Windows 7 Premium, SP1 64-Bit
 
 
Driver removal

I have two items I want to remove from my computer.

1) I needed to install a driver to have my (Android) phone talk to the computer. I tried once but the phone is not being identified. So my thought is to remove whatever has installed and try a re-install.

2) I also loaded a program called Odin3 One-Click Downloader to manipulate my phone) this to is not working.

So where in my system do I find these rooted to completely remove them.

These both, by the way, work on my laptop, just not my PC.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Feb 2011   #2
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2011   #3
WartHog

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Tom, can't help ya on the driver delete, but when I first looked @ your post and saw the little bug in your avatar I reached for my screen to get it off there!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Feb 2011   #4
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

here is how for the android:

right click on My Computer and select properties
Go to advanced tab
Click on environment variables
Create a new system environment variable: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
set its value to 1
click ok
select device manager from the properties menu
select view and check "show hidden devices"
You should now be able to see something like "ADB Interface"
Select the Android device under it, right click and choose Uninstall
A popup window should allow you to check "Delete the driver software for this device"
check the box and click OK

I expect the other should be somewhere in Control panel -> Programs and Features. Find it, select it and remove it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2011   #5
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

GeneO,
WIN | Devmgmt.msc | View tab | Show Hidden Devices
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2011   #6
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
GeneO,
WIN | Devmgmt.msc | View tab | Show Hidden Devices
karl,
That doesn't show devices that are not present. You need the environment variable for that.

Otherwise he'd have to plug the phone in, show hidden devices, disable the device, then uninstall it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2011   #7
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

GeneO,
Thanks for reminding me. What he needs is both the SET command and to show hidden devices which will then show up "ghosted".

See following:
Tweak Device Manager for a more Complete View of Devices
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2011   #8
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
GeneO,
Thanks for reminding me. What he needs is both the SET command and to show hidden devices which will then show up "ghosted".

See following:
Tweak Device Manager for a more Complete View of Devices
Or do what I said. I find it is useful to have the environment variable set so it is permanent. It comes in handy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2011   #9
tomween1

Windows 7 Premium, SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
GeneO,
Thanks for reminding me. What he needs is both the SET command and to show hidden devices which will then show up "ghosted".

See following:
Tweak Device Manager for a more Complete View of Devices
Or do what I said. I find it is useful to have the environment variable set so it is permanent. It comes in handy.
GeneO, Karl

Thank you both. GeneO that worked perfectly. Doing this actually may have helped me find my problem. The same driver was installed 4 times. That may have been the conflict.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2011   #10
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tomween1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
GeneO,
Thanks for reminding me. What he needs is both the SET command and to show hidden devices which will then show up "ghosted".

See following:
Tweak Device Manager for a more Complete View of Devices
Or do what I said. I find it is useful to have the environment variable set so it is permanent. It comes in handy.
GeneO, Karl

Thank you both. GeneO that worked perfectly. Doing this actually may have helped me find my problem. The same driver was installed 4 times. That may have been the conflict.
It was probably there 4 times because it was plugged into different USB ports. I have had problems with this driver that came in through windows update. I disabled (hid) that update so the phone just shows up as a USB storage device. That seems to work well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Driver removal




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Driver removal for a motherboard swap?
Hello forum, I am planning to switch out my motherboard for a different chipset (85X to 990FX) and would like to perform the change by using sysprep. However It was brought to my attention that while sysprep does install default drivers upon system restart, it does not remove the drivers...
Drivers
IHS Removal
Has anyone had experience or have done this? I did this a month ago while waiting for my video card to arrive. It appears to be in perfect condition but my system appears not to POST. I tried another CPU of the same type that also had the IHS removed (and was tested working on another system) but...
Hardware & Devices
Sirefef Removal!
Help guys, BitDefender just alerted me about being infected by the Sirefef trojan. These are the two particular variants BitDefender can't seem to remove: *Sirefef.A - C:/Windows/System32/services.exe *Sirefef.GY - C:/Windows/Installer/{84d3bf12-3c1a-e026-8b4e-76a071be099b}/U/00000004.@ Any...
System Security
Driver Complete Removal Help!
I have a TP-LINK 150Mbps Wireless N Adapter directly in my motherboard and i needed to update its drivers to the latest as i was experiencing BSOD's and had to update it in case this was a cause, Anyways Windows kept saying it was up to date and the sate it had in options was 2009 and the latest...
Drivers
Botnet Removal
Trend micros RUbotted is telling me i have 2 botnets, i have no idea how to remove them or where to start looking to find them. Can someone post some advice?
System Security
Red Eye Removal
There was an option of "FIX" in windows photo gallery in Windows Vista through which we would be able to remove red eye... Is there any such option in Windows 7? I am using 7000.
Music, Pictures & Video


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App