I went to Brother Solutions Center
and checked the drivers
once again. The one I had downloaded was a few weeks older than the one there now, but it had the same name and version number.
I also downloaded the uninstall tool that was there.
I used the uninstall tool to get rid of each instance of the Brothers printer that I had installed. I had to reboot afterwards.
Before rebooting, I pulled the USB cable to prevent the system from installing the defaults. I then installed the Brothers drivers, getting a message that Windows could not verify the drivers. This was the first time that I have gotten this message, telling me that this was the first time the install actually worked. Always before it just went on. It was using some old driver
which the uninstall tool from Brothers removed. I plugged in the USB cable according to the instructions in the Brothers install program. The new driver was installed.
Once I plugged in the cable, Vista also installed a second instance of the printer using the stock drivers. These drivers do not have the full functionality. I now have two instances of the printer: one called Brother HL-1440 and once called Brother HL-1440 series. The one called "series" works with the full features.
I suspect the same general procedure will work with Windows 7, too. Apparently the trick is to get all the files deleted before trying the install. The plug and play will jump in immediately and start doing its thing. Somehow that is what is causing the problem, I think.
It took me several reboots and deletions to get it to work.
Hope this helps.