Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hard Disk Bad Sectors


18 Feb 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 
Hard Disk Bad Sectors

i have this hard drive which has some bad sectors although disk is 10 months old.
i have tried using chkdsk in windows (for the infected d: drive)to remove the bad sectors but the computer always freezes and gives a blue screen error

A long format also freezes the computer .
So i resort to quick format but the data that i transfer later , some of it gets corrupt!

I heard of ultilities that can eraze entire hard drive and regenerate surface magnetiically but they are as expensive as a new disk.

Is there a utility that can arrange bad sectors to some separate segment so that they are not used in writing operation without freezing my computer midway.

Thnkz for any help


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Feb 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anachronycx View Post
i have this hard drive which has some bad sectors although disk is 10 months old.
i have tried using chkdsk in windows (for the infected d: drive)to remove the bad sectors but the computer always freezes and gives a blue screen error

A long format also freezes the computer .
So i resort to quick format but the data that i transfer later , some of it gets corrupt!

I heard of ultilities that can eraze entire hard drive and regenerate surface magnetiically but they are as expensive as a new disk.

Is there a utility that can arrange bad sectors to some separate segment so that they are not used in writing operation without freezing my computer midway.

Thnkz for any help
If you cant live without the data take it to a pro, if you can forget it. Re-imaging is an exhaustive time consuming project with only moderate results.

If you have formatted you may want to try recuva, a 3rd party utility that has some success.


Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #3

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Most hard disks are warranteed for around 5 years. Logon to the manufacturers site and they will send you an rma for it's return and they will send you a good one.

Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Feb 2011   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
HD Diagnostic
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

I go with richnrockville here. Get a RMA from the disks manufacturer and have it replaced.

You have to realize: if any hard drive shows bad blocks that means that all (2 or 3) spare tracks (that are automatically used to replace bad spots on the surfaces) are already used up so you can safely assume that disk is giving up completely in the near future.
My advice:Try to back up what you/while you still can and have the drive replaced.

-DG
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2011   #6

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

Here's the Fujitsu diagnotstic tool download Download Fujitsu Diagnostic 6.80 Free - Verify if your Fujitsu IDE hard drive is operating properly - Softpedia
Or the 6.90 version scanned with mse fjdt_v6.90.zip
Fabe


My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2011   #7
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Given it's only 10 months old, unless it's very inconvenient, I'd backup and return the HDD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2011   #8

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richnrockville View Post
Most hard disks are warranteed for around 5 years. Logon to the manufacturers site and they will send you an rma for it's return and they will send you a good one.

Rich
Great advice.

Keep in mind that OEM (bare drive) warranties are often as short as one year. If it's 10 months old I wouldn't waste any time.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SledgeDG View Post
...you can safely assume that disk is giving up completely in the near future.
My advice:Try to back up what you/while you still can and have the drive replaced.

-DG
Ditto. My experience has been that bad sectors are like gray hairs; as soon as you see one or two you can bet that a whole bunch will follow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Hard Disk Bad Sectors




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Hard Disk Bad Sectors
Thread Forum
bad sectors in hard disk, WHAT TO DO Performance & Maintenance
Solved Hard Drive With BAD SECTORS HELP! Hardware & Devices
Solved Hard Drive With BAD SECTORS HELP! Backup and Restore
Hard Drive diagnostics report bad sectors Performance & Maintenance
Crystal Disk caution on Reallocated Sectors Performance & Maintenance
Hard Drives Reallocated Sectors Count Caution Hardware & Devices
Mark hard disk bad sectors Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33