Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: ESATA hard drive not detected

25 Feb 2011   #11

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
I'm going with the folks above who suggested a driver problem. Because the HDD works with your laptop, I agree that it probably isn't a hardware defect which is causing your problem.

To clarify, have you tried having the drive connected before you turn on your computer? With some implementations of AHCI, you can't access eSATA drives properly unless they are connected before you power up the host machine. In such a situation, trying to "hot plug" after the host machine has started up can give the symptoms you mentioned.
yes tried it plugged in on boot, did the same thing.

all my bios settings are on ide also

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Feb 2011   #12

Windows 7 64 bit SP1
 
 

You can't hot plug to a port in ide mode, you need AHCI. That is your probably not your problem, but just so you know.

I found that with an external USB3 drive I have, some of the USB ports did not supply enough power for it (drive would beep), especially on the front panel. Try another powered USB port for the power.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #13

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by elim View Post
yes tried it plugged in on boot, did the same thing.

all my bios settings are on ide also
Have you tried putting your disk controller in AHCI mode?

This *should* work with Windows 7. Windows XP would bluescreen if you switched the disk controller to AHCI without installing the driver first, but Windows 7 includes an AHCI driver and should make the adjustment automagically.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Feb 2011   #14

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
You can't hot plug to a port in ide mode, you need AHCI. That is your probably not your problem, but just so you know.

I found that with an external USB3 drive I have, some of the USB ports did not supply enough power for it (drive would beep), especially on the front panel. Try another powered USB port for the power.
ive tried front and back, no luck

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by elim View Post
yes tried it plugged in on boot, did the same thing.

all my bios settings are on ide also
Have you tried putting your disk controller in AHCI mode?

This *should* work with Windows 7. Windows XP would bluescreen if you switched the disk controller to AHCI without installing the driver first, but Windows 7 includes an AHCI driver and should make the adjustment automagically.
i will try that, can i change it back if i get a blue screen or anything? no chance of losing my data?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2011   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by elim View Post
i will try that, can i change it back if i get a blue screen or anything? no chance of losing my data?
Right, if your system bluescreens with the disk controller in AHCI mode, all you have to do is change it back. The most that will happen is your system won't boot. Data loss shouldn't happen.

It's still a good idea to back up important data first, just in case.

But you shouldn't get a bluescreen. Windows 7 includes a generic AHCI driver, so it should start right up, whether your disk controller is in AHCI mode or IDE mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 ESATA hard drive not detected




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33