Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why is ESATA such a problem

25 Feb 2011   #1
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Why is ESATA such a problem

Everywhere you look people have problems wit ESATA. If you search for problems with it there are endless pages. I build a lot of systems. About 20% (1 in 5) of them I cannot get the ESATA running properly. NCQ, Hot Plugging, I know about these things. I know drivers are the issue most of the time but even after installing the correct driver and trying different ESATA drives which work fine on my personal system, I STILL can't get some to work. With a lot of motherboards from many manufacturers acting the same way I know it's not defective motherboards. Is there a way to find out why ESATA works like it's supposed to or why you have to shut down to make it work.

Is there a good way to get it running right? I have had it with doing research day after day trying to get ESATA working right. I have started to tell people to simply power down, plug their ESATA drive in, then power back up. It will work fine....then power back down when you need to disconnect it.

It seems a waste to not use this great port to it's potential. I use nothing but ESATA on my personal systems. I LOVE it! It's fast and easy. I am frustrated with it when building new systems. Any SIMPLE answer from one of you wizards would be wonderful. Thanks. Have a good day.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Feb 2011   #2
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

The "only" issue that I have run into is that on my 64-bit box, after the first connection of my drive, it won't reconnect after turning my enclosure back on. I have to go into Disk Management and rescan for new disks and I am all set. This problem doesn't happen on my 32-bit Windows 7 Dell laptop. Both are using the same drive enclosure and drive. My enclosure is the Thermaltake blacX.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #3
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
The "only" issue that I have run into is that on my 64-bit box, after the first connection of my drive, it won't reconnect after turning my enclosure back on. I have to go into Disk Management and rescan for new disks and I am all set. This problem doesn't happen on my 32-bit Windows 7 Dell laptop. Both are using the same drive enclosure and drive. My enclosure is the Thermaltake blacX.
Thanks for the reply pparks. That is a good way I had forgotten about. I build machines for other people. Most will not understand how to go into "disk management" and scan for new disks. I have no problem but the people I build for do. I have two desktops and a laptop which I can simply plug an ESATA drive into and they will pop right up in "My Computer" This is how ALL systems should act. I have got to find a way to make this happen. I also have 3 ESTA capable drives and they all work fine on my 3 systems.

Interesting that you don't see the problem with 32 bit systems. I always use 64 bit. Maybe it's just that and the driver problems with some configurations.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Feb 2011   #4
GeneO

Windows 10. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot.
 
 

I have had no problems with the Jmicron chips on various OS, on the MB or PCI-e cards. I have also extended one of my MB Intel AHCI ports to my front panel eSATA connector on my case.

Some poor implementations of AHCI don;t support hot-plug according to their interpretation of the spec. You need to research this a bit before buying I guess.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #5
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
I have had no problems with the Jmicron chips on various OS, on the MB or PCI-e cards. I have also extended one of my MB Intel AHCI ports to my front panel eSATA connector on my case.

Some poor implementations of AHCI don;t support hot-plug according to their interpretation of the spec. You need to research this a bit before buying I guess.
I have found some problems mentioned on almost every board I have ever purchased. (About 40-50) and I am usually able to get it running, but this one I am working on now is controlled from the Intel H55 chipset. I assume it's a 64 bit driver problem from Intel, but if every person who got this board downloaded the newest drivers from the board manufacturer and still and still had the same problem, you would think everyone would have the same eSATA problem and it's not mentioned in all reviews. I hope someone will enlighten me. This is a good board. I had the same problem with an ASUS board two weeks ago. AMD CPU and AMD chipset. I have had it happen on Gigabyte boards, all different configurations. I know it's a matter of learning. That's why I have always been here. There are good people here who will help.

I would like to hear from a person like me who builds 10-15 systems per year and has to deal with this issue. I would like to know if they have found the "magic solution" This is the one I am working on now.

ASRock > Products > Motherboard > H55M/USB3 > Download
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #6
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

It's only my 64-bit box at home with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev 1.1 board that has this problem where it won't be recognized without disk management. On my work 64bit box, with an Asus P5QL-Pro mobo I have no problems whatsoever. We also have laptops in our office with 64bit Windows 7 and they haven't had problems connecting to my eSATA drive. I also use eSATA from my cable box to a Thermaltake BlacX enclosure and it works good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2011   #7
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
It's only my 64-bit box at home with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev 1.1 board that has this problem where it won't be recognized without disk management. On my work 64bit box, with an Asus P5QL-Pro mobo I have no problems whatsoever. We also have laptops in our office with 64bit Windows 7 and they haven't had problems connecting to my eSATA drive. I also use eSATA from my cable box to a Thermaltake BlacX enclosure and it works good.
Thanks again. It's good to know these details. It must be driver related. Probably chipset or whatever controls the eSATA port drivers. Maybe some controllers just don't have drivers that work correctly yet? I wonder if 64 or 32 bit OS has anything to do with it. Probably. I haven't needed to do a 32 bit build with eSATA in at least a year so I have no way to know.

Thanks for the info, and it's good to talk with you again. Good to see you're still around. I don't spend as much time as I used to here. I still try to stop in and help or get help when I can.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2011   #8
GeneO

Windows 10. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot.
 
 

64 bit Windows 7 here. Asus P7P55D-E Pro (Jmicron Esata). I also have used a JMicron based PCI-E contorller on Windows XP 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. No problems. On my P7P55D-E pro I also use one of the P55 AHCI Intel ports for eSATA with no problems on Windows 7 64bit. I get sequential read speeds in excess of 120 MB/s.

You shouldn't have any problems with eSATA on that JMB362 chip on your motherboard or using any of the P55 SATA ports in AHCI mode for eSATA.

Of these systems you built, how do you have the eSATA set up? Specifics would help - chipset (including the external drive), mode, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2011   #9
chrysalis

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

using a caddy via USB seems more reliable and problem free than ESATA. On servers when a tech puts a drive in a hot plug SATA port I always have to reboot to see the drive. But on USB it shows up live.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2011   #10
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
64 bit Windows 7 here. Asus P7P55D-E Pro (Jmicron Esata). I also have used a JMicron based PCI-E contorller on Windows XP 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. No problems. On my P7P55D-E pro I also use one of the P55 AHCI Intel ports for eSATA with no problems on Windows 7 64bit. I get sequential read speeds in excess of 120 MB/s.

You shouldn't have any problems with eSATA on that JMB362 chip on your motherboard or using any of the P55 SATA ports in AHCI mode for eSATA.

Of these systems you built, how do you have the eSATA set up? Specifics would help - chipset (including the external drive), mode, etc.
Good idea, I could hook up an eSATA port to one of the other SATA ports. They are all controlled by the P55 hovever.. I have tried AHCI, iDE in the BIOS. I installed in AHCI so they both boot. I am using 3 different eSATA capable drives. One is a Rosewill RX-358 enclosure with a WD 640GB Blue drive inside. I have also used the latest Intel driver. This is why it's tough. This is about all I know to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why is ESATA such a problem




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Problem with eSATA powered USB
Hello. i have AsRock M3A770DE motherboard it has 6 USB ports at back, 2 of them being eSATA powered. i bought 3tb external hdd for fraps recordings, it is USB3.0, but this motherboard has no USB3.0 so i thought i will plug it into eSATA powered USB, but it's not showing up! > YES HDD works...
Hardware & Devices
USB 3.0 to esata
Hi, I've got a hard drive with USB 3.0, but only been able to use it at USB 2.0 speeds. So I've been looking for an adapter so I can get as much speed as possible. I've found this, and I was wondering if it was esata to USB 3, and not USB 3 to esata as I need. So basically, can I use it and will...
Hardware & Devices
eSATA drive not detected--can CrystalDiskInfo damage an eSATA drive
I plugged in my eSATA drive while CrystalDiskInfo was running and the computer froze. There was no way to regain control of the computer so I restarted. So now this eSATA drive is not recognized by the computer. The eSATA drive works in another computer. What's really weird is that...
BSOD Help and Support
eSATA problem Windows 7 x64
I'm having a problem with a Seagate GoFlex 1.5TB hard drive not working on win 7 x64. I'm using the eSATA/USB adapter with an eSATAp to eSATA and USB cable along with an IOGEAR GICe711S3 Pci controller card. (All drivers are updated.) The drive is viewable in disk management, but when I go to...
Hardware & Devices
Very odd problem with W7 not seeing eSATA HDDs
Hi everyone I have a problem that I have no idea whether is hardware of software related...I'll try and summerise... I have a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 with Windows 7 64 on it, as there were no rear eSATA ports on it I installed an addon card which had: x2 eSATA x2 SATA x1 PATA on it. It...
Hardware & Devices
Esata HD problem
Hello everyone, I'm having a specific issue and could not resolve it searching this or any other forum. I have a toshiba external HDD that i absolutely need to set up using the esata connection. I have set it up using USB successfully. I am using an HP pavilion laptop. When I try to plug in...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App