I just recieved parts for my HTPC build:
- Asus E35M1-I motherboard (AMD cpu/mobo combo)
- Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
- Kingston SSDNow V Series 30GB SSD (for OS)
- Samsung slimline DVD/CD burner
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Here's the deal, I battled with error messages and install hangs during the whole installation process. I finally narrowed my install troubles to two things. 1) I had to switch the SATA controller for the SSD from IDE to ACHI mode. 2) I had to remove 1 stick of ram because I would get weird error messages (sometimes different each time I rebooted). ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt was a common one.
Meanwhile I continued the install with only a single 2GB stick in DIMM slot A.
I initially thought the ram issue may be driver
related so I waited and installed and updated all drivers
and Win updates before troubleshooting the ram issue. After updating the Ram issues still exist and it appears that it's only when two sticks are installed.
I'll outline my troubleshooting steps which helped me come to this conclusion:
- Windows up and running with all updates current including drivers (NO CURRENT BIOS RELEASE IS AVAILABLE FROM ASUS)
- Removed RAM Stick2 from DIMM Slot B; Boots fine
- Swapped Stick1 with Stick2 in SlotA; boots fine with Stick2 in SlotA (both sticks good right?)
- Installed Stick1 in SlotB (both slots now populated): No boot. (BSOD something about IRQ Equal or less than; basically a hardware error)
- Removed both sticks and insert Stick1 in SlotB; Boots fine (DIMM SlotB good right?)
- Pulled Stick1 installed Stick2 in SlotB: Boots fine.
- Again, reinstalled the remaining stick in the SlotA (both slots populated again); No Boot.
Sounds like the issue is isolated to when both slots are populated.
I'm also getting inconsistant messages in BIOS saying sometimes the memory passes sometimes it doesn't.
Also in BIOS only 2GB is recognized regardless if I have both sticks installed or not.
RMA or incomatible memory???