Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: RAM issues Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

06 Apr 2011   #1
Imogen

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
RAM issues Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Hello,

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I put together a computer for the first time and I'm having bother with the RAM. I have 12GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram installed, I am using a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard.

The motherboard supports up-to 24GB of DDR3 RAM.

When I right click on computer in the start menu and click properties under RAM it says 12GB (8 Usable) and idea how I can get windows too use the remaining 4GB?

Also sometimes when I boot after the BIOS screen where it says verifying pool data (can't quite remember but it's something like that) it will saying checking DRAM SIZE and reboot and it will keep doing this until i turn off my machine. Any idea how to fix this?

The RAM and motherboard are fine as I've checked and replaced them.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,

Imogen


My specs:

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU: Intel Core i7 950
GPU: XFX HD 5870 1GB GDDR5
SSD: Crucial 64GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x 2
DVD: LiteOn IHAS124-19 24x DVD/RW
Bluray: Pioneer BDR-206DBK 12x BD/RE
PSU: Antec Truepower Quattro 1200W
CASE: Antec Dark Fleet DF-85

Windows Experience Index: 7.3

Just one more quick thing I spent maybe about £800 - £900 on my computer it was my first self-build. Is that an ok score and is there anyway I could improve it using my existing hardware.

Thanks again


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Apr 2011   #2
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Well if the BIOS can't verify the RAM and just keeps rebooting then something is wrong with either the RAM, how it is seated or the motherboard.

What else could it be.

Are you sure you have the RAM modules in the correct slots. On your board there are six slot and should be color coded. All 3 sticks of RAM need to be in the same color slots, that is if they are color coded.
If not then they are set up in 3 banks of 2 slots II II II with a space between them. Make sure the RAM sticks are in the same slot position in each bank I- I- I-
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2011   #3
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imogen View Post
Hello,

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I put together a computer for the first time and I'm having bother with the RAM. I have 12GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram installed, I am using a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard.

The motherboard supports up-to 24GB of DDR3 RAM.

When I right click on computer in the start menu and click properties under RAM it says 12GB (8 Usable) and idea how I can get windows too use the remaining 4GB?

Also sometimes when I boot after the BIOS screen where it says verifying pool data (can't quite remember but it's something like that) it will saying checking DRAM SIZE and reboot and it will keep doing this until i turn off my machine. Any idea how to fix this?

The RAM and motherboard are fine as I've checked and replaced them.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,

Imogen

Make sure you have installed the RAM as per the manual



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imogen View Post
My specs:

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU: Intel Core i7 950
GPU: XFX HD 5870 1GB GDDR5
SSD: Crucial 64GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x 2
DVD: LiteOn IHAS124-19 24x DVD/RW
Bluray: Pioneer BDR-206DBK 12x BD/RE
PSU: Antec Truepower Quattro 1200W
CASE: Antec Dark Fleet DF-85

Windows Experience Index: 7.3

Just one more quick thing I spent maybe about £800 - £900 on my computer it was my first self-build. Is that an ok score and is there anyway I could improve it using my existing hardware.

Thanks again
The WEI is in a lot of peoples opinion just a number
MHO Its a nice PC


Attached Thumbnails
RAM issues Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit-capture.png   RAM issues Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit-capture1.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Apr 2011   #4
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Hi Imogen,

If you still have issues after trying the previous suggestions of ensuring the RAM chips are properly seated in the RAM slots, then you may need to test each of the chips and slots. Im not sure if you have done that since you mention some "tests" but don't elaborate on what they are.

To do this, start with your first slot, plug in one RAM chip, and boot the computer. Check to see that it is reporting the correct RAM. Keep doing this until you have tested all the RAM chips. If all the RAM chips pass, then repeat the exercise for the remaining RAM slots with a single RAM chip.

Let us know what you find.

Regards,
Golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2011   #5
Imogen

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks everyone for your replies, I apologise for not responding sooner but I've been at work all day. I managed to fix the problem with your help, I knew the motherboard RAM sockets where colour coded but it did not say anything about using the same colour for all your RAM in the manual quite the opposite in fact.

I moved the third stick over to a white socket and hay-presto all 12GB working and no boot problems.

I can't thank you guys enough

If I may ask does that mean I won't be able to add more RAM to the blue sockets?

Thanks again,

Best Wishes

Imogen
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2011   #6
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imogen View Post

If I may ask does that mean I won't be able to add more RAM to the blue sockets?

Thanks again,

Best Wishes

Imogen
No on the contrary that is why they are there, to add more RAM.

Please look at the manual. It describes exactly how to place RAM in many different configuration. Those pages were also post in this thread.
It give you the placement for 2-3-4-6 pieces of RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 RAM issues Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BCD issues in Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I need to create a new system reserved partition on drive: 0 and delete the current one from drive 1: There was a thread on this some time back, explaining WHAT to do, but it was never clearly explained HOW to do it! Could someone please explain in DETAIL step-by-step how this is done?
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit issues with desktop freezing/ other issues
Hi all, Going to try and make this brief, "try" being the operative word here.. I have a Gateway PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit 4 gigs of ram but obviously not all useable (yet) Dual core processor Nvidia 9800GT graphics Card Corsair 650 watt PSU HT Omega Striker 7.1 Souncard..
General Discussion
windows 7 ultimate: lag issues
A couple days ago, my computer started getting laggy when I use windows 7. The funny thing is, it only lags after a period of time after the windows starts (don't know exactly how long or if it's even consistent). It doesn't matter how many programs I was running at the time (well, it do lag a bit...
Performance & Maintenance
DNS issues windows 7 ultimate x64
Hi everyone. I know there are a lot of windows 7 experts here and I know this has been asked in other forums but I'm still at a loss of how to fix it after numerous google searches. I'm using windows 7 ultimate x64 and basically I'm connected by wireless on an asus pce-n13 network card to a...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Ultimate Connectivity Issues
Hi I am new and despirately seeking answer(s) to my question I recently installed Win 7 Ultimate on my dad's laptop (Acer 4720Z Intel premium dual cpu @1.73ghz,ram 2gb,32-bit operating system) all seemed fine until I tried conecting to my wireless router(belkin n+) it asks for the password...
Network & Sharing
VISTA Ultimate to Windows 7 ultimate issues.. wit gamin
Ok, Its either gotta be that Windows have may changes in the O/S for gaming or there just could be something wrong with my computer... I DON"T GET IT. First of all, I had windows vista, CPU over clocked playing all my games with out a drama, (steam, cs, tf2, l4d, COD4) the games started without...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App