Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB 3 PCI Adapters

06 Apr 2011   #1
Hoods

Win 7 x64 HP
 
 
USB 3 PCI Adapters

Hi - I have a 2009 custom built system, essential specs:

W7 x64 Home Premium
Motherboard Gigabyte UD3R-SLI 6GB RAm
Intel i7 920 X58
2 available "PCI" slots

I'm not that great with the technicalities of computer "innards" these days - I haven't kept up for the past few years - so forgive me if the answers to these questions seem obvious to the enlightened!

I was recently given a USB 3 Samsung S2 640GB portable HDD, and figured I might as well add USB 3 capability to my system to take advantage of its potential speed. A bit of googling eventually referred me to the GA-USB 3 (Gigabyte) adapter, which I hope/assume would work with what I have, but I want to be sure. To establish that, my questions are:

Given my system, what type of USB 3 adapter do I need to be looking for? I have no idea if my PCI slots are PCIE or not, nor how to find out - various spec utilities just say "PCI". Can I assume that the slots are PCIE? If not ...

On the basis of the above, can I slot in a USB 3 PCIE adapter - was thinking of the GA-USB 3 (Gigabyte) but am wary of buying the wrong thing.

Any suggestions as to my best path to upgrade?

All gently given advice gratefully anticipated.

Robin
(Blonde, female, senior citizen!)






Any gently given advice geatly appreciated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Apr 2011   #2
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hoods View Post
Hi - I have a 2009 custom built system, essential specs:

W7 x64 Home Premium
Motherboard Gigabyte UD3R-SLI 6GB RAm
Intel i7 920 X58
2 available "PCI" slots

I'm not that great with the technicalities of computer "innards" these days - I haven't kept up for the past few years - so forgive me if the answers to these questions seem obvious to the enlightened!

I was recently given a USB 3 Samsung S2 640GB portable HDD, and figured I might as well add USB 3 capability to my system to take advantage of its potential speed. A bit of googling eventually referred me to the GA-USB 3 (Gigabyte) adapter, which I hope/assume would work with what I have, but I want to be sure. To establish that, my questions are:

Given my system, what type of USB 3 adapter do I need to be looking for? I have no idea if my PCI slots are PCIE or not, nor how to find out - various spec utilities just say "PCI". Can I assume that the slots are PCIE? If not ...

On the basis of the above, can I slot in a USB 3 PCIE adapter - was thinking of the GA-USB 3 (Gigabyte) but am wary of buying the wrong thing.

Any suggestions as to my best path to upgrade?

All gently given advice gratefully anticipated.

Robin
(Blonde, female, senior citizen!)






Any gently given advice geatly appreciated.
Hello Robin

Yes you are looking for a PCI device and it will fit into the PCI slots on your MB
I think this might help clear things up for you; Review of USB 3.0 GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 3 PCI Express Card GA-USB3.0

Edit my mistake I use the term PCI and miss the express off the end
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2011   #3
Hoods

Win 7 x64 HP
 
 

Quote:
Yes you are looking for a PCI device and it will fit into the PCI slots on your MB
I think this might help clear things up for you; Review of USB 3.0 GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 3 PCI Express Card GA-USB3.0
Hi Pooch - thanks for that. I had actually based my initial choice of potential card on that exact same review.

Since posting, I found and ran the CPU-Z utility which says my graphic interface is PCIE, so, can I safely assume the two free PCI slots on my mobo are PCIE as well? I would imagine so!

Thanks
Robin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Apr 2011   #4
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

No PCI slots are not PCI-E slots, and a PCI-E card will not work in one. For that USB card and looking at your motherboard,

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI (rev. 1.0)

you would put it in either of the two PCI-E 1x slots, or it can go in eithe the 4x or other 16x slot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2011   #5
Hoods

Win 7 x64 HP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
No PCI slots are not PCI-E slots, and a PCI-E card will not work in one. For that USB card and looking at your motherboard,

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI (rev. 1.0)

you would put it in either of the two PCI-E 1x slots, or it can go in eithe the 4x or other 16x slot.
Thanks, Stormy. I realize PCI isn't PCIE, but I don't know what my slots are. I did check Gigabyte, which only confused me further as my mobo is identified only as a UD3R-SLI, not EX58-UD3R-SLI. My chipset is X58, is that what the EX58 means?? Other than the x16 PCIE graphics card slot, the PCIs are shown only as PCI, not PCIE and nothing about the "x" factor. That's why I am confused. Utilities consistently return only the specs below. From those, what, if anything, can I assume?

Would I be able to see this info on the board, I wonder. I suppose I should look ...

Thanks

Motherboard
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model UD3R-SLI
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model X58
Chipset Revision 12
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801JR (ICH10R)
Southbridge Revision 00
System Temperature 31 °C
BIOS
Brand Award Software International, Inc.
Version F1
Date 01/23/2009
Voltage
CPU CORE 1.120 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 1.520 V
+3.3V 3.360 V
+5V 5.080 V
+12V 2.368 V
-12V -12.224 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 3.656 V
CMOS BATTERY 3.264 V
PCI Data
1. PCI Available
2. PCI Available
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2011   #6
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hoods View Post
Quote:
Yes you are looking for a PCI device and it will fit into the PCI slots on your MB
I think this might help clear things up for you; Review of USB 3.0 GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 3 PCI Express Card GA-USB3.0
Hi Pooch - thanks for that. I had actually based my initial choice of potential card on that exact same review.

Since posting, I found and ran the CPU-Z utility which says my graphic interface is PCIE, so, can I safely assume the two free PCI slots on my mobo are PCIE as well? I would imagine so!

Thanks
Robin
Yes as per the diagram, this is for another Motherboard and in German but it should be clear


Attached Thumbnails
-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2011   #7
Hoods

Win 7 x64 HP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hoods View Post
Quote:
Yes you are looking for a PCI device and it will fit into the PCI slots on your MB
I think this might help clear things up for you; Review of USB 3.0 GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 3 PCI Express Card GA-USB3.0
Hi Pooch - thanks for that. I had actually based my initial choice of potential card on that exact same review.

Since posting, I found and ran the CPU-Z utility which says my graphic interface is PCIE, so, can I safely assume the two free PCI slots on my mobo are PCIE as well? I would imagine so!

Thanks
Robin
Yes as per the diagram, this is for another Motherboard and in German but it should be clear
Thanks, again. It turns out these adapters have been discontinued and every store I have tried no longer has oone in stock. Any suggestions on another card I could get to suit my rig??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2011   #8
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

No idea on a recommendation but,

Newegg.com - Add-On Cards,usb 3.0 card

Lots to choose from.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2011   #9
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hoods View Post

Thanks, again. It turns out these adapters have been discontinued and every store I have tried no longer has oone in stock. Any suggestions on another card I could get to suit my rig??
Thats the only adaptor I know Have you tried online stores?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Apr 2011   #10
Hoods

Win 7 x64 HP
 
 

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB 3 PCI Adapters




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Ipconfig 20 Adapters
Hi guys long fans of your work I have 2 NIC outputs (from my motherboard) and i had recently installed VMware Version 14 (just to try something out to test for my friend), because of this virtual "tunnel adapters" were installed on the host operating system (please see my system specs). I was...
Network & Sharing
Microsoft 6 to 4 adapters & ISATAP adapters
Okay, so I recently uninstalled all of my wireless network devices, these were a simple Wireless Card which was in a PCI slot and a wireless USB adapter, I uninstalled them from the device manager, and now under "Network Devices" I have about 32 'Microsoft 6to4 adapters' all with the yellow...
Drivers
Many Network Adapters
Hi, I just noticed I had over 200 adapters but everytime I reboot it creates new ones Its the 6to4 adapter ... I have a red cross on the network icon on the right clock toolbar and everytime I try and open up a browser it freezes but I can get onto skype and update windows Any ideas ...
Network & Sharing
Need network adapters
I've reinstalled Windows 7 HP 32-bit on my mates Acer Aspire 5551 laptop. Everything is fine with the exception of the network adapters. Both the Ethernet and Network controller listed in the Device Manager have the yellow exclamation mark. As there is no Internet connection listed how do I...
Drivers
wireless usb adapters
I have now tried 3 different brands of usb wireless adapters for my new win7 installation. None of them worked. I formated and installed again for each and one of them but the same thing keeps happening. I install the reccomended drivers ffor win7. I have turned off homegroups, turned off...
Network & Sharing
20 -> 24 pin adapters
Do these things supply enough juice? In my search I expected to find a molex adapter to add a 4-pin to the 20. I'm having some heavy-duty stability issues. Can I get an adapter or swap out the PSU?
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App