Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 2 Extra Storage Devices?


08 Apr 2011   #1

 
2 Extra Storage Devices?

I have 2 hard drives, 1 of which has 2 partitions. I have these two extra ones for some reason.
2 Extra Storage Devices?-capture.png I think the Local Disk Q is from my USB which I disconnected when I powered off the system. Now whenever I click it, I get this
Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 6
Size:  16.5 KB
Anyone know how/if I can fix this?



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Apr 2011   #2

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

I believe the E and Q drives are part of your main drive. Partitions of the physical drive the C drive is on.
The H drive is a USB stick.

Not sure why the Q drive is not accessible other then it is a small partition and it is not formatted. But then it shouldn't show up.
The E drive is a normal system partition but it is usually at the front of the drive and normally does not have a drive letter assigned to it. Win 7 creates this area to store the BOOT loader files and some other system files.

Open Disk Management and post a screen shot of that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #3

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
I believe the E and Q drives are part of your main drive. Partitions of the physical drive the C drive is on.
The H drive is a USB stick.

Not sure why the Q drive is not accessible other then it is a small partition and it is not formatted. But then it shouldn't show up.
The E drive is a normal system partition but it is usually at the front of the drive and normally does not have a drive letter assigned to it. Win 7 creates this area to store the BOOT loader files and some other system files.

Open Disk Management and post a screen shot of that.
I wasn't sure what you meant by 'Disk Management', so I opened up 'Disk Defragmenter'. Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 8
Size:  72.9 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Apr 2011   #4

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
The H drive is a USB stick.
Right. Unless your USB flash drive is an ungodly large amount, they should always show up here under "Removable Media."

To get to "Disk Management," press WindowsKey+R (to open Run), then type "diskmgmt.msc" and hit enter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #5

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Miranova23 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
The H drive is a USB stick.
Right. Unless your USB flash drive is an ungodly large amount, they should always show up here under "Removable Media."

To get to "Disk Management," press WindowsKey+R (to open Run), then type "diskmgmt.msc" and hit enter.
2 Extra Storage Devices?-capture.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #6

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

By process of elimination, I believe "Q" is the recovery partition of your Seagate backup drive, the hashed-out 12gb one. "E" is also part of this drive. I don't know why or how those partitions are showing up in explorer, especially since Q isn't usable (hence the hash-out).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #7

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Miranova23 View Post
By process of elimination, I believe "Q" is the recovery partition of your Seagate backup drive, the hashed-out 12gb one. "E" is also part of this drive. I don't know why or how those partitions are showing up in explorer, especially since Q isn't usable (hence the hash-out).
OK, thanks for the info. Maybe I'll come on some time and it will have disappeared
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #8
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Didn't happen to install Office 2010 with the "Click to Run" option enabled did you? If so that would be where the mysterious drive Q came from,

Mystery Drive (Q:)

Office 2010 Drive Q

Drive E is exactly what it says it is. You can delete it if you want,

System Reserved Partition - Delete

A better idea might be to go into Disk management and remove the drive letter for it and then you won't see it in Explorer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #9

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

At one time was there only one physical disk in this system?
It looks like you added a drive and installed the OS on it. The Drive that has the C partition and the hidden (No drive letter) 100MB system reserve partition.

And the other drive was originally in the system with the 12GB Recovery partition, the second System Reserve partition Drive E, and then those other 2 partitions F & G.

Is that the way it was/is.

Oh and I think the Q drive you see in Win Explorer is the 12GB recovery partition. Although in Disk management I don't see anything with a Q. But if that recovery partition isn't marked Hidden Win Explorer might assign a drive letter to it.

In any event everything looks normal to me. There are no extra storage devices. Just a bunch of partitions that don't need to be there and misaligned drive letters ( I hate when CD/DVD drives are before the hard drives).

You might think about redoing your drive/partition setup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #10

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Didn't happen to install Office 2010 with the "Click to Run" option enabled did you? If so that would be where the mysterious drive Q came from,

Mystery Drive (Q:)

Office 2010 Drive Q

Drive E is exactly what it says it is. You can delete it if you want,

System Reserved Partition - Delete

A better idea might be to go into Disk management and remove the drive letter for it and then you won't see it in Explorer.
I'm not sure, but that is a possibility because I have Office 2010 installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 2 Extra Storage Devices?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: 2 Extra Storage Devices?
Thread Forum
How do I re-enable storage devices USB through MMC? Hardware & Devices
Solved usb storage devices not working General Discussion
Solved Some USB mass storage devices don't work Hardware & Devices
Storage USB devices driver issue Drivers
Extra removable devices?? General Discussion
USB Storage devices on Windows 7 x64 - WORKING FIX Hardware & Devices
Network Attached Storage or extra drives on/in the desktop? Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33