Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SATA drive in USB3.0 Enclosure

15 Apr 2011   #1
meddylad

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with SP1
 
 
SATA drive in USB3.0 Enclosure

Hello - i have a 2.5" Momentus drive (model ST9500420AS, 500GB 16MB cache) and was wondering would get USB3.0 speeds by using an external connector, a USB3.0 cable and my laptop which has built in USB3.0 ports (and the Renesas driver), so i can use it as a portable drive


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Apr 2011   #2
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by meddylad View Post
Hello - i have a 2.5" Momentus drive (model ST9500420AS, 500GB 16MB cache) and was wondering would get USB3.0 speeds by using an external connector, a USB3.0 cable and my laptop which has built in USB3.0 ports (and the Renesas driver), so i can use it as a portable drive
Yes but all parts must be USB3 compliant
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2011   #3
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

No, you won't get the full USB3 speed (USB3 spec is higher than normal drives can transfer) but it will be faster than USB2.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Apr 2011   #4
GeneO

Windows 7 64 bit SP1. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot.
 
 

I have a Momentus in a USB 3.0 enclosure and connect it through the same NEC/Renesas USB3.0 chip . it runs at full speed and is not limited by the USB 3.0 interface. However the hard drive will only do 45 MB/s on the outer part of the platter and 35 MB/s averaged across the platters so don't expect much more than USB 2.0 speeds. Your drive is newer than mine so should fare a bit better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2011   #5
cloud8521

 

i would actually expect something closer to around 70MB/s

when i used my drive (its a monster of a drive btw) i got 130MB/s what that was with its cache off
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2011   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I made a comparson USB2/USB3 with the same enclosure on the same system. My USB3 was about 30% faster than USB2. But I would guess that you get different results with different hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2011   #7
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
I have a Momentus in a USB 3.0 enclosure and connect it through the same NEC/Renesas USB3.0 chip . it runs at full speed and is not limited by the USB 3.0 interface. However the hard drive will only do 45 MB/s on the outer part of the platter and 35 MB/s averaged across the platters so don't expect much more than USB 2.0 speeds. Your drive is newer than mine so should fare a bit better.
I get a lot better than that with my external drive, even though it is a slow RPM drive, and it is connected via eSATA 2.0. Is USB 3 that much slower than eSATA?


Attached Thumbnails
-external-drive.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2011   #8
cloud8521

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
I have a Momentus in a USB 3.0 enclosure and connect it through the same NEC/Renesas USB3.0 chip . it runs at full speed and is not limited by the USB 3.0 interface. However the hard drive will only do 45 MB/s on the outer part of the platter and 35 MB/s averaged across the platters so don't expect much more than USB 2.0 speeds. Your drive is newer than mine so should fare a bit better.
I get a lot better than that with my external drive, even though it is a slow RPM drive, and it is connected via eSATA 2.0. Is USB 3 that much slower than eSATA?
well like i said, i did get 130 MB/s
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2011   #9
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Is USB 3 that much slower than eSATA?
no its very similar


Attached Images
  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2011   #10
meddylad

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with SP1
 
 

Im using AS SSD to run benchmarks but im gettin a strange result on my external usb3 drive. The sequential starts off at 30mb/s but then slowly drops to 1.4mb/s and stays at this speed - i cant see why it would be doing this.

Aslo, considering im using usb3 with all the correct componets, i thought i would be getting more than 30mb/s, considering the drive is a 7200rpm with 16mb cache

Out of curiosity, would the actual adapter circuit board (where the sata connects to the usb) be slowing it down or is that irrelevent
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SATA drive in USB3.0 Enclosure




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
External sata/usb 3.0 enclosure
I have a new Lenova Flex 15 with a 128gb ssd. Windows 8 + 8.1 upgrade took more space than I anticipated, about 50% with all the bloat that came with the lap top. I want to add a external drive and have two 2.5" drives on hand. Looking online I see the low cost (cheap) enclosures from China,...
Hardware & Devices
Restore from external SATA drive in enclosure with eSATA interface
I am educating myself on backing up my disk as an image so that when my laptop drive has a problem, I don't spend 2 weeks re-establishing my environment. I'm not sure whether my question is related to the OS, the laptop, or the imaging SW (I am considering using Paragon or Macrium freeware as an...
Backup and Restore
I need a SATA Optical Drive Enclosure... Is this the correct one?
Hi guys, 3 weeks ago I made a threat about an Optical Drive enclosure, and I got it and worked flawlessly. But now I'm looking for a SATA enclosure, could you tell me if this is the correct one?...
Hardware & Devices
Hard Drive Enclosure not being seen
I took one of my old drive from my old computer and installed in the Antec MX-1 Actively Cooled Hard Drive Enclosure. Then I plug the USB into my note book, the USB to SATA bridge works fine. However, I can not see the drive in "My Computer". I have checked a few posts and I looked into Disk...
Hardware & Devices
Hard Drive Enclosure not being seen by 7
Please help! I recently upgraded my operating system to Windows 7 64 bit. I have an Intel MB with an E4500 core 2 dou processor running with 4 gigs ram. I have an old ide enclose that all of the sudden wont be seen by the new operating system. I have changed the jumper on the hard drive in...
Hardware & Devices
NAS drive enclosure
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a good cheap NAS drive enclosure that supports RAID 10, but I'm having a hard time trying to find one that is. I found some, but they only support RAID 0, 1, and 5. I'm wanting to plug it into the router so that my desktop and WHS server can use it for...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:37.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App