Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New computer? Tough decision.

26 Apr 2011   #1
UnderJonathan

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
 
 
New computer? Tough decision.

I am going to buy a new computer and, I chose about 5 computers and I just wanted an expert's opinion on this and since you guys are like Computer Geeks (which is a good thing) I thought you guys could help me with this. If you guys don't mind, could you tell me the top 3?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Apr 2011   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Could you provice the links so that we can take a closer look.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2011   #3
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

Go with the HP. Have had two HP laptops over the past eleven years and neither one give me any real problems. I bought them because they could stand up to being packed around on the back of pack horses. Use them when doing photo work out in the mountains and wilderness's through the United States.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Apr 2011   #4
UnderJonathan

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Could you provice the links so that we can take a closer look.
Click the computer's name
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2011   #5
UnderJonathan

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Go with the HP. Have had two HP laptops over the past eleven years and neither one give me any real problems. I bought them because they could stand up to being packed around on the back of pack horses. Use them when doing photo work out in the mountains and wilderness's through the United States.
The other two options would be...?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2011   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UnderJonathan View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Could you provice the links so that we can take a closer look.
Click the computer's name
LOL, missed that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2011   #7
UnderJonathan

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UnderJonathan View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Could you provice the links so that we can take a closer look.
Click the computer's name
LOL, missed that.
No problem, just give me your opinion and Top 3.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2011   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I can give you an opinion. But it will not be worth very much because I do not own any of them. It is also a matter of budget and whether you want portability or rather a bigger screen.

In laptops, I have two Gateways, one HP and one Sony. The Gateways gave me no trouble, the HP ran very hot until I replaced the HDD with an SSD, the $1300 Sony runs very well but makes noises.

The next laptop I buy will probably be a Toshiba (because Gateway is with crummy Acer now). Dell would not be on my shopping list because I made a very bad experience with my Dell desktop - looks nice outside, junk inside.

That's all I can tell you based on my experience. If the answer were simple, you would know it already.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2011   #9
UnderJonathan

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I can give you an opinion. But it will not be worth very much because I do not own any of them. It is also a matter of budget and whether you want portability or rather a bigger screen.

In laptops, I have two Gateways, one HP and one Sony. The Gateways gave me no trouble, the HP ran very hot until I replaced the HDD with an SSD, the $1300 Sony runs very well but makes noises.

The next laptop I buy will probably be a Toshiba (because Gateway is with crummy Acer now). Dell would not be on my shopping list because I made a very bad experience with my Dell desktop - looks nice outside, junk inside.

That's all I can tell you based on my experience. If the answer were simple, you would know it already.
So you say...
1. HP
2. Toshiba and ultimately
3. Dell

Is that right? By the way, thanks for posting.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #10
Kipper

 

If it were me I would normally go for the biggest screen but the one thing I noticed out of your choices is that only the 13 inch Toshiba has native USB3.0 and for a new laptop that should be a big positive with more and more USB3 goodies becoming available everyday now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New computer? Tough decision.




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Decision regarding Ext or Int HDD
Good day to all. Decision time.I want to get two 1TB HDD for backing up purposes,The reason for two is to double backup. Now what would be the best option An Internal ones or a portable one,The point regarding an External one that is one of my choices is that I have a docking station that will...
General Discussion
OS decision
Hi, I've got this "problem", and that is I don't know what OS should I use. In the last year I've used Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and I tried almost all good & legit tweaks on the internet and still it felt slow. I also tried Windows 8.1 x64 and it feels slow too. My specs are: ...
General Discussion
Tough click
I'm a newbie. Was having trouble with email settings in Windows Live. While searching for answers I clicked someplace to go WinXP. Now, I can't remember how to get my Windows 7 back. Any help will be appreciated!
Browsers & Mail
Tough Question
Hi all. i recently bought a laptop so i though that i should keep c: drive for windows 7 system with about 40 Gb and to install everything else to d: I have done the same in my desktop pc but after heavy use i see the c: free space running low as time pass by because almost all programs i...
General Discussion
Tough Problem
The Problem: All of my files on my external hard drive have been encrypted using Bitlocker from the Windows Ultimate Beta. Tonight I installed my Pro version that I recently purchased, and I lost my recovery key to unlock the external drive. Now roughly 600GB of stuff is encrypted and I cannot...
General Discussion
Tough EFS question!
This is a question for heavy duty gurus. The help file states: "If more than one person uses your computer, or if you use a smart card to encrypt files, you should create a file recovery certificate. For more information, see Create a recovery certificate for encrypted files." My...
System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App