Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: DDR3 RAM Speed question

28 May 2011   #1
PvW

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
DDR3 RAM Speed question

Hi guys,

A few months ago I started a thread about my PC rebooting a few times while loading windows, see it here. This issue still hasn't been sorted.

So I ended up taking one 2gb RAM stick out and selling it to a friend (works perfectly in his PC) and that solves my problem too.

So now I only have 2gb RAM (unfortunately, this makes a huge difference!).

I'd like to know if my system is running at its optimal speed at the moment.

Now I'll admit, I'm a total noob!
I just opened CPU-Z and checked a few things there. Not that I understand most of it

My CPU's bus speed is 132mhz,
My memory 's DRAM frequency is around 660
The FSBRAM ratio is 2:10

I'm running:
i-5 760 (2.8ghz)
Intel dh-55th motherboard
Kingston ddr3 2gb
Geforce GTS 250

Is this optimal performance?

While we're at it, can someone explain the use of dual channel memory to me? Should I rather sell this RAM stick too and buy two new ones for dual channel?

When I get some cash I will take my PC in and buy more RAM (either another 2GBs of RAM, or two sets of 2GBs for dual channel), but I want to test it in store first to be sure the rebooting problem doesn't return.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 May 2011   #2
gazz9496

 
 

dual channel ram just means: The dual-channel configuration alleviates the problem by doubling the amount of available memory bandwidth. Instead of a single memory channel, a second parallel channel is added. With two channels working simultaneously, the bottleneck is reduced. Rather than wait for memory technology to improve, dual-channel architecture simply takes the existing RAM technology and improves the method in which it is handled.

just copied that from wiki, essentially you want to utilise dual channel to prevent bottle necks in your system.

the i5 is a nice cpu but you are limiting the whole computer with only 2gb of ram not by much but some apps will want more than your system can allocate.

Adding more ram of the exact same type on the same bank ie the same coloured slots will improve your computer performance as well as give you more system resources to use for things like games/rendering/decoding and encoding video.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2011   #3
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

You sold your RAM? You didn't provide the link, so I can only wonder why you sold 2GB RAM when you only had 4GB to start with. 4GB is perfect, 2GB can get some slower.

Its hard, complicated, and a lot of people don't recommend it due to stability issues and the possibility of breaking your pc, but overclocking is a method of increasing speed. Getting better RAM is good (You have to match every RAM in your pc though).

Check this out, but don't do anything you don't know how to do. The tutorials give you ample warnings, just be careful: Optimize Windows 7

Brink is a genius.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 May 2011   #4
PvW

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
dual channel ram just means: The dual-channel configuration alleviates the problem by doubling the amount of available memory bandwidth. Instead of a single memory channel, a second parallel channel is added. With two channels working simultaneously, the bottleneck is reduced. Rather than wait for memory technology to improve, dual-channel architecture simply takes the existing RAM technology and improves the method in which it is handled.

just copied that from wiki, essentially you want to utilise dual channel to prevent bottle necks in your system.

the i5 is a nice cpu but you are limiting the whole computer with only 2gb of ram not by much but some apps will want more than your system can allocate.

Adding more ram of the exact same type on the same bank ie the same coloured slots will improve your computer performance as well as give you more system resources to use for things like games/rendering/decoding and encoding video.
Thanks, I'm certainly adding the 2gb back again when I have the money.

Do you reckon I'll see a performance increase from running 4gb dual channel rather than single channel?


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
You sold your RAM? You didn't provide the link, so I can only wonder why you sold 2GB RAM when you only had 4GB to start with. 4GB is perfect, 2GB can get some slower.

Its hard, complicated, and a lot of people don't recommend it due to stability issues and the possibility of breaking your pc, but overclocking is a method of increasing speed. Getting better RAM is good (You have to match every RAM in your pc though).

Check this out, but don't do anything you don't know how to do. The tutorials give you ample warnings, just be careful: Optimize Windows 7

Brink is a genius.
Thanks for the links! Yip I sold the extra 2gb because it caused my PC to reboot during windows load, every time! I sold it with the idea to replace it again when I've got some extra cash. Now I'm contemplating dual channel or just another 2gb and run the two in single channel?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2011   #5
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Never really dealt with single channel, most are dual. RAM shouldn't cost too much, I'd say go for it. Just make sure you buy reputable RAM, nothing superclocked or whatever from some podunk craphot shack. And it should come with a limited warranty so you can replace if you have trouble.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2011   #6
gazz9496

 
 

ok if you have 4 ram slots 2 black 2 green..don't have to be that colour, put your 2 ram sticks in the 2 black slots which become a matched pair...assuming they are identical in every way, thus you are using dual channel ram.

if you pop 1 in black and 1 in green you run at single channel.

if you fill all slots you run 2 dual channel twin matched pairs.

the position of the ram dictates whether it will be dual channel or not it has nothing to do with the ram sticks themselves, as i pointed out all ram can do dual channel as it's handled by the memory controller.

matched pairs are essential for it to work if they aren't the same use the 1 and 1 approach.

if in doubt pull your current stick and purchase an identical one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2011   #7
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
ok if you have 4 ram slots 2 black 2 green..don't have to be that colour, put your 2 ram sticks in the 2 black slots which become a matched pair...assuming they are identical in every way, thus you are using dual channel ram.

if you pop 1 in black and 1 in green you run at single channel.

if you fill all slots you run 2 dual channel twin matched pairs.

the position of the ram dictates whether it will be dual channel or not it has nothing to do with the ram sticks themselves, as i pointed out all ram can do dual channel as it's handled by the memory controller.

Just when you think you know a bit, you learn some more
matched pairs are essential for it to work if they aren't the same use the 1 and 1 approach.

if in doubt pull your current stick and purchase an identical one.
You're right, my mistake. What is Dual Channel Memory & How do I use it Correctly? :: LEGEND Corporation :: Performance Technology

Just 2 memory lanes paired together vs the single, I have seen both but never equated the two lanes (usually comes with 2 dual lanes, or 4 lanes total) to dual. This would have to be part of your motherboard, not the ram. Most mbs nowadays come with dual channel
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 DDR3 RAM Speed question




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Got DDR3-2133 mhz RAM for Christmas, no luck getting stated speed
Specs: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (rev 1.0) Bios: F2Q (latest) intel Core i7-920 @ stock 2.66 + 'turbo', thus 2.80 RAM: 16GB (4x4) Patriot Viper, PC3-17000, 2133 mhz (11-11-11-27) GA-EX58-UD3R page: GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-EX58-UD3R (rev. 1.0)
Hardware & Devices
New kingston DDR3 1333 running at only 800 bus speed..
Hi There, I decided to upgrade my pc by adding a new kingston 2G DDR3 1033 kit .. I Bought it and placed it in the same slot color with the old one (kingston 2g DDR3 1033) .. when i turned on the pc it just gave a black screen without any beeps .. i removed the new one, it worked well .. i...
Hardware & Devices
DDR3 compatability question
Hello all, I just want you to confirm that I am not making a purchasing mistake. My mobo, ASRock M3A770DE, Supports DDR3 1600(OC)/1333/1066/800 non-ECC, un-buffered memory. It currently has 1 4gb stick of Corsair Vengeance 4GB (1x4GB)1600MHz DDR3 PC3-12800 RAM. I wish to add 2 more 4gb...
Hardware & Devices
Question about DDR2 vs DDR3
Hello everyone i got a quick question for you memory pro's . I am currently running ddr2 800mhz but my board can support higher ,would it be wise to upgrade to the higher speed ram ? Or should i stick with planing to buy a new board and new memory all together, meaning a board that supports...
Performance & Maintenance
Question regarding ddr3 dimm chip size
my board Asus p5p43td and it states incompatibility with ram dimms made up of 256 Mb chips or less. This spec is hard to find and I was wondering how to tell as most of the brands in the manual are hard/impossible to find and this is not a well advertised spec. Crucial memory I am running is...
Hardware & Devices
DDR3 RAM not showing correct speed
So I have 6GB of DDR3 RAM in my computer, and when I go into my BIOS, it says that they are operating at 1066 frequency, when they are 1333 sticks. I'm not sure how to solve this issue, but I think I know how it came about. I had a 2GB 1066 stick in there and for some reason when I took it out, the...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:31.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App