Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Sata Disk 0 and Disk 1

08 Jun 2011   #1
jsquareg

Windows 7 Home Premium (Retail) Full version - With SP1
 
 
Sata Disk 0 and Disk 1

For a long while I ran just one HD (Sata) on my machine. It was connected to Sata 1 on the MB and appeared as Disk 0 in Disk Managment. I just connected another Sata drive to Sata 2 on the MB. It shows up as Disk 0 and the original as Disk 1. I had thought the reverse should be true -- Original still as Disk 0 and the new as Disk 1.

BIOS shows the original connected to IDE 3 Master and the added one connected to IDE 3 Slave.

The system works fine with all the partitions and their drive letters I had assigned to them correct.

No big deal. I just wonder why the Disk Management disk numbers appear as they do.

Would someone please help me understand?

Thank you.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jun 2011   #2
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

This is one of those things that I don't think anyone has really figured out. You're not the first to ask about it, and from the last thread I saw about it pretty sure there was no definitive answer as to why. At the end of the day it will make you wonder why, but it also has no affect on how anything runs. You can sit and rearrange the cables to the motherboard all day long and you might hit the combination that will change them around, but not worth the aggravation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2011   #3
jsquareg

Windows 7 Home Premium (Retail) Full version - With SP1
 
 

Thank you.

So I guess I will right it off as one of those "Life's Imponderables."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jun 2011   #4
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

There's no mystery about it, if I am understanding your question. The numbers in Disk Management have no relation to the physical ports. If a motherboard has six SATA ports, and the primary hard drive is plugged into the sixth port (SATA5), it will still show as Disk 0 in Disk Management.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2011   #5
jsquareg

Windows 7 Home Premium (Retail) Full version - With SP1
 
 

And that is pretty much what happened. The original disk is in Sata 1 it appeared as Disk 0. When I put the second disk on Sata 2 it showed as Disk 0 and the original disk in Sata 1(the one that showed as Disk 0) showed as Disk 1.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
There's no mystery about it, if I am understanding your question. The numbers in Disk Management have no relation to the physical ports. If a motherboard has six SATA ports, and the primary hard drive is plugged into the sixth port (SATA5), it will still show as Disk 0 in Disk Management.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2011   #6
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I have had times on the same system where a clean install will show the drives in a different order (within Windows). As long as the drive letters are assigned properly, it won't cause any issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #7
dustywoodworker

Windows 7x32 Home Premium & XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
This is one of those things that I don't think anyone has really figured out. You're not the first to ask about it, and from the last thread I saw about it pretty sure there was no definitive answer as to why. At the end of the day it will make you wonder why, but it also has no affect on how anything runs. You can sit and rearrange the cables to the motherboard all day long and you might hit the combination that will change them around, but not worth the aggravation.
What then makes the primary disk primary? Is it the simple fact that that disk has an operating system thus it is the primary? What if I install a second HD that also has an operating system installed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #8
OldMX

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional
 
 

I had the same issue, installing the ahci drivers for the sata controller sorted them correctly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #9
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jsquareg View Post
For a long while I ran just one HD (Sata) on my machine. It was connected to Sata 1 on the MB and appeared as Disk 0 in Disk Managment. I just connected another Sata drive to Sata 2 on the MB. It shows up as Disk 0 and the original as Disk 1. I had thought the reverse should be true -- Original still as Disk 0 and the new as Disk 1.

BIOS shows the original connected to IDE 3 Master and the added one connected to IDE 3 Slave.

The system works fine with all the partitions and their drive letters I had assigned to them correct.

No big deal. I just wonder why the Disk Management disk numbers appear as they do.

Would someone please help me understand?

Thank you.
I'm not quite sure whether I'm absolutely correct, but as far as I'm aware the BIOS recognises the drive that Windows is on as Drive 0.

So even if you connect the Windows drive to SATA 1 it will still show as Drive 0 in disk management.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #10
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Windows will see the HD Drive Disk0 when corrected to the first Sata port with a HD Drive. On Some MOBO the first Sata port is marked Sata 0 or Sata 1.
But if you have a IDE HD Drive also corrected, Windows will see the IDE as Disk0.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Sata Disk 0 and Disk 1




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive
The time has come for me to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows 7 following a recent disastrous download that's effectively knocked out my Internet Explorer 11 and rendered Internet browsing difficult. My system has since become unstable and progressively slow and unfortunately, for some...
Hardware & Devices
Hard disk recommendations (2TB) SATA III
I currently run several WD20EARX and WD20EARS drives (Sata 3 and Sata 2 respectively). Sadly the sata 3 drives perform worse than the sata 2 drives. I'm looking to replace 4 of my drives. I like the reviews and performance of the Seagate ST2000DM001 drives, however, they are a little greedy...
Hardware & Devices
win 7 on installing ,sata and ide disk partition
I want to install win 7 professional x64,i have a Dvd iso...Problem i want to solve is next,i have 1 sata disk ,and 1 ide disk...I want to divide Sata on two partition,c and d,and to install system on c..Next,my Ide disk ,has jumper on cable select,i think it could be the only way that is to pc...
Installation & Setup
sata disk disappear while formatting
Hello everyone I'm trying to install Windows 7 home premium 64 for about 5 hours... The farthest i went once was at the % screen. It stucked at 0% ... :cry: I'm trying to install this on a newly purchased computer with a Western digital 640Go caviar SE. So my problem comes at the disk list...
Installation & Setup
Dual-boot :ubuntu on PATA disk, 7 on SATA disk
I have 7 installed on 640 GB SATA drive Wanna install ubuntu on 80GB PATA drive Yet the problem is that I can't make the SATA drive the first boot drive in BIOS. My MOBO is GA-MA74GM-S2H
Installation & Setup
Hard Disk Sata problem
Hello, I thing I have a problem with my sata drive. Windows 7 is working ok, and is booting up from the sata drive. The speed is only around 50 MB/s. Should it be more than this ? HDD Details: Interface SATA-II Capacity 160 GB Buffer 8 MB
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:39.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App